MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,146 of 2,843
I have to say I'm very disappointed in the Ether. The bass roll of and lack of mid presence and grainy sound was really shocking. Paired it with the Mojo to try get the sound to fill out but it's not for me.

Thanks for your thoughts, but it seems you and I are of opposite minds. Never once have I heard the Ether sound grainy when they weren't playing a grainy song or listening to a source that wasn't up to snuff. I have heard times where the mids on the Ether were a tad lacking, but that was always due to something farther up the chain rather than the headphone. Based on what I've experienced with my own set, I can only assume whatever equipment you were using in your setup is what colored your impressions this way.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,147 of 2,843
Nah it sounds the same on everything I've heard. There's some peaks in the upper ranges that stop it being a smooth experience for me. I guess some people are more sensitive to differences than others.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,148 of 2,843
Nah it sounds the same on everything I've heard. There's some peaks in the upper ranges that stop it being a smooth experience for me. I guess some people are more sensitive to differences than others.

If you wish, don't hesitate to drop me a PM, sometimes I can help people's experience.  Also, if you haven't had at least 100 hours of burn in give it a bit more time.  It may not end up being what you're looking for, but at least you'll rule out a few variables.   

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #2,150 of 2,843
I will give them time and see how it goes. Thank you for the help!

I'm not sure if this helps at all or will just make you even more confused but I've heard several people say they have heard different "versions"  of MrSpeakers Ether and that some were good and some were bad. If you watched Big Sound from innerfidelity you will hear some people talk about this as well. 

I have only heard the Ether for 2 minutes because I didn't have alot of time sadly so I can't really comment on the sound, but I must say that the design and comfort are great. Seems really durable too.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #2,151 of 2,843

I'm not sure if this helps at all or will just make you even more confused but I've heard several people say they have heard different "versions"  of MrSpeakers Ether and that some were good and some were bad. If you watched Big Sound from innerfidelity you will hear some people talk about this as well. 

There is only one version, and our tuning has not changed at all during production.  In production we very carefully test each driver to ensure frequency response, time domain and THD are all within spec then match the L/R balance as closely as we can.   

No headphone is right for everyone and I have no problem with those two guys in Big Sound not liking the phones.  It was no surprise as they have not liked a single product we've ever made, obviously they just don't like our sound so you have to weigh their comments to the other Big Sound reviewers who liked the same set of headphones, which is the set Tyll added to Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame.   

Finally, if anyone EVER has a unit whose performance concerns them for any reason, do not hesitate to contact Peter or me.  We're not perfect, mistakes can and do happen so when thing do go wrong we make every effort to make things right, and to my knowledge we have never left someone feeling unsupported, for any of our products.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 8, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #2,152 of 2,843
Hmm yes I verified in my last post there was zero deviation between my new set and friends fully burn in set of over 200 hrs, with only difference being so very hard to pick out a bit of extra body in the burned in set, yet no sonic signature deviation.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #2,153 of 2,843
My personal experience of sonic change has to do much with component matching. .

But that goes for any headphone.

With the Ether, my experience was that it hovered near the thick or dark side of neutral on my modded tube amp that was tuned for an HD800.

But:

So I just attained an HE-X to compare, as I personally prefer a slightly brighter than neutral signature...

Then I moded my tube amp guts 2 days ago (ongoing project) yet again, to exactly match the Ethers impedance(!). ..

Now I am more undecided than ever,
because the Ether increased in presence,
and now slightly bright of neutral with an intense character like between an HE6 on the upper spectrum and an LCD on the lower..
In other words, it has just scaled up (!)

The HE-X also out of the box also instantly impressive, so I will be now be on hiatus trying to figure out which unit I prefer...
Yes it boils down to preferences at this level, with Ethers a fav.

I Need to trim down my headphone tree yet again.
:)

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #2,154 of 2,843
I was waiting for another outburst again until Dan stepped in.
ph34r.gif

My personal experience of sonic change has to do much with component matching. .

But that goes for any headphone.

With the Ether, my experience was that it hovered near the thick or dark side of neutral on my modded tube amp that was tuned for an HD800.

But:

So I just attained an HE-X to compare, as I personally prefer a slightly brighter than neutral signature...

Then I moded my tube amp guts 2 days ago (ongoing project) yet again, to exactly match the Ethers impedance(!). ..

Now I am more undecided than ever,
because the Ether increased in presence,
and now slightly bright of neutral with an intense character like between an HE6 on the upper spectrum and an LCD on the lower..
In other words, it has just scaled up (!)

The HE-X also out of the box also instantly impressive, so I will be now be on hiatus trying to figure out which unit I prefer...
Yes it boils down to preferences at this level, with Ethers a fav.

I Need to trim down my headphone tree yet again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow what a lineup. Just briefly what do you think about the HE-X vs the Ethers? I've not heard the HE-X so would like to have an idea on how it sounds.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,155 of 2,843
That is the million dollar question..
:p
Edit I like them both so it will come down to preference,
but I need to burn them in because I feel they are not at optimal level,

and I need an XLR plug for the HEX,
so that's it unfair comparison without getting the XLR plug, as dhex did not come with a balanced cord

I have not burned in either headphone so will have some comments tomorrow after listening tonight when I get home.
:)

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #2,156 of 2,843
I like to know if the new cable is any different from the older cable which has a slightly more stiffer nylon jacket..

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #2,157 of 2,843
I like to know if the new cable is any different from the older cable which has a slightly more stiffer nylon jacket..

Dan said a little while back when the new DUM cable started to ship, that it was different sleeving, but no difference in sound...

We have updated the sleeve on the bottom of the cable, it's more flexible.  Same sound.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,158 of 2,843
i love my ether but if i have one complaint and it surprises me to say this...they are too efficient..i know the aim is to make them functional with smartphones etc but with my Mojo or Hugo the efficiency means you have to keep the volume level lower than the norm and somehow it keeps them from being able to breath IMHO....the primes were more difficult to drive but allowed you to push them a bit more without being overwhelmed...i have a pair of the C's arriving tomorrow and i will compare them...I have found the LCD-3F's to be about perfect in terms of efficiency....i like the Ethers better but would like something between the hard to drive prime signature and the overly efficient ether....

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #2,159 of 2,843
There is only one version, and our tuning has not changed at all during production.  In production we very carefully test each driver to ensure frequency response, time domain and THD are all within spec then match the L/R balance as closely as we can.   

No headphone is right for everyone and I have no problem with those two guys in Big Sound not liking the phones.  It was no surprise as they have not liked a single product we've ever made, obviously they just don't like our sound so you have to weigh their comments to the other Big Sound reviewers who liked the same set of headphones, which is the set Tyll added to Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame.   

Finally, if anyone EVER has a unit whose performance concerns them for any reason, do not hesitate to contact Peter or me.  We're not perfect, mistakes can and do happen so when thing do go wrong we make every effort to make things right, and to my knowledge we have never left someone feeling unsupported, for any of our products.

I Can 2nd that.
Mrspeakers have beyond good customer service.
I had a problem with a pair of alpha primes and without hesitation Dan had them picked up from my home in Denmark and flown to the states for repair and I had them back in like a week better than i have ever heard them before.
I just wish I had the money for a pair of ethers gues I just have to stick to the primes :)

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #2,160 of 2,843
  i love my ether but if i have one complaint and it surprises me to say this...they are too efficient..i know the aim is to make them functional with smartphones etc but with my Mojo or Hugo the efficiency means you have to keep the volume level lower than the norm and somehow it keeps them from being able to breath IMHO....the primes were more difficult to drive but allowed you to push them a bit more without being overwhelmed...i have a pair of the C's arriving tomorrow and i will compare them...I have found the LCD-3F's to be about perfect in terms of efficiency....i like the Ethers better but would like something between the hard to drive prime signature and the overly efficient ether....

Try turning the volume on your phone down then using the gain controls on your amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back