MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,071 of 2,843
  I know it may be a silly question, but could someone elaborate on what the mesh velcro flap on the inside of the case is intended for?  I just got my ETHER's today as an open box demo from an authorized retailer, and they may not have been packaged like from the factory, and therefore I may be missing something...

Also, the HE-500's seem to fit in the case okay, just need to bend the headband in just a tad for the gimbals for fit.

To stow the cables.

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #2,072 of 2,843
  I know it may be a silly question, but could someone elaborate on what the mesh velcro flap on the inside of the case is intended for?  I just got my ETHER's today as an open box demo from an authorized retailer, and they may not have been packaged like from the factory, and therefore I may be missing something...

Also, the HE-500's seem to fit in the case okay, just need to bend the headband in just a tad for the gimbals for fit.

From the MrSpeakers website:

This tough and compact headphone case works with MrSpeakers ETHER headphones as well as many 3rd party headphones. Made in the USA, this case offers strong protection for full size headphones, while minimizing the size required to pack into a backpack for transport. An internal webbed flap can hold personal audio players or cables in place (caution: sharp edges may damage headphones, it is the owner’s responsibility to pack the case appropriately).

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #2,073 of 2,843
From the MrSpeakers website:

[COLOR=C6C6C6]This tough and compact headphone case works with MrSpeakers ETHER headphones as well as many 3rd party headphones. Made in the USA, this case offers strong protection for full size headphones, while minimizing the size required to pack into a backpack for transport.[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]An internal webbed flap can hold personal audio players or cables in place[/COLOR] [COLOR=C6C6C6](caution: sharp edges may damage headphones, it is the owner’s responsibility to pack the case appropriately).[/COLOR]

I appreciate the replies to a silly question. I was worried I was supposed to use it to strap the headphones I'm but it didn't fit. I checked the websites's Ether page but didn't think to check the actual case page.

These are quite comfortable, enjoying them so far

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #2,074 of 2,843
I appreciate the replies to a silly question. I was worried I was supposed to use it to strap the headphones I'm but it didn't fit. I checked the websites's Ether page but didn't think to check the actual case page.

These are quite comfortable, enjoying them so far

Not such thing as silly questions really. Silly thing is not to ask them.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,079 of 2,843
You could say yes. If the harder material act as a bone conductor..
Harman Karman Curve thingy Tyll mentioned quoted a small frequency range the head and neck a absorbs. Was with Bob Katz I believe. Or just say That's a fact.. Either way not daft..

No actual facts were harmed in this post

Monitored as part of the Google fact humane society..

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2,080 of 2,843
Nov 14, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #2,081 of 2,843
Well Dan did it - he made one hell of a headphone and he delivered it today to me. First impressions - WOW!!

I am not nearly as experienced of a head-fier as most people that hang out here, but I have been listening to HPs for over 40 years. My HD580's always sounded pretty good but have been easily bested by the new Ether. After only 4-5 hours of hi-res digital and vinyl tunes it really does have a magical mid range. The bass and hi end need more time, but man is the heart already there.

At one point I was listening to Alan Parsons Project 24/192 of Turn of a Friendly Card and I started having visual images while listening - for a song I know has never had a video done. To say the least, I was immersed in the sound.

I will continue to burn it in for another week or so but I also plan to keep listening to it as it burns in because it is so musical and involving and such a pleasure. My vinyl rig is way nicer than my digital (waiting on my Pulse Infinity upgrade), but it stills sounds great and it scales very nicely. Feed it good source music through a decent, synergistic system and reap the rewards.

Thanks Dan and the whole MrSpeakers team, you folks deserve all the kudos you are receiving on this excellent headphone!!

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #2,082 of 2,843
I heard the Ether yesterday at the NYC meet in Stamford, CT.  I was very impressed.  The word 'honest' was the adjective that kept coming to mind.  I have read some people express concerns about the bass.  After hearing a jazz piece with acoustic bass on these, I must say it was the most liquid, accurate and palpable bass that I have ever heard on a headphone.  I could not have wanted more.  The sound of these reminded me of professional studio monitors from ATC - which is saying something.  The accuracy of the Ethers was superb! They where the most comfortable headphones I tried also.  It was a pleasure to talk with Dan Clark.  He is very sharp and dedicated.  For anyone who is on the fence about getting the Ether headphone - I say just go for it.  They are truly special!

Bugs

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,083 of 2,843
I have had the good fortune of hearing these Ethers alongside many others, not just in yesterdays headfi meet in CT.

These are my favorite open planar type cans, even against the mighty HE6(!)

They give me the most musically engaging with "meat" alonside its details, where even cymbal hits have more solidness, instead airynes like the HD800.

Plucks of Bass strings have more body and air.

They are unique in their bass quality for open planar because there is no compromise.
No Treble loss (LCD,oppo)
No *edit* subbass excess (HE1k)
No heavy dark bass(abyss)
No airy light bass (HD800)
No unsatisfying bass(HE560)

On an HD800, details pop more easily, but lack the body of presence.

Dynamics hit a bit harder on the HE6, yet lack the body as well as the HE6 sound less energetic & a bit laid back in comparison.

Both HE6 & HD800 can have a larger stage, but both do not give the intensity or energy that the Ether can.

I will still keep my HD800 alongside this Ether for now.
Perfect combo for open cans..
The HE6 also was a good combo, but nothing I would choose over the ether, because of being a bit laid back in comparison.
Soundstage ia less on Ether but still at a level easily matching an HE560, and way more lifelike...

The only competition this can have is:
1- HE6(preference if you have the power requirements)

2- HE-X(unknown yet)

Honestly I could just be happy with these for open cans.

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #2,084 of 2,843
Yeesh, what amp did you have the HE6 on? Your findings in that comparison do not match my own as a long term HE6 owner and on-release Ether owner.

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #2,085 of 2,843
Yeesh, what amp did you have the HE6 on? Your findings in that comparison do not match my own as a long term HE6 owner and on-release Ether owner.

The setup had Lampizator Dac and EC 2A3 amp and HE-6 were modded with no grills. I completely agree with Max134 while I'm not planning on keeping my modded HD800

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back