MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
May 5, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #676 of 2,843
  Just realised I should've posted this review in the impressions thread. Sorry for the double-post
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/05/mrspeakers-ether-headphones-review/

A good review, though it prompts the question from me, just how do these compare to the T1?  From this review I got that they are the same weight and the bass extends deeper, or at least I hope when he was saying "low end wuss" to describe the T1 he was referring to the frequency response and not saying a $1400 headphone was low end.  When we reach $1400 as an entry level headphone I'll know we've gone off the hi-fi deep end..

Mainly I'm looking to hear just how much of an improvement the Ether is on the T1... 

Thanks

May 5, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #677 of 2,843

Just realised I should've posted this review in the impressions thread. Sorry for the double-post
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/05/mrspeakers-ether-headphones-review/

A good review, though it prompts the question from me, just how do these compare to the T1?  From this review I got that they are the same weight and the bass extends deeper, or at least I hope when he was saying "low end wuss" to describe the T1 he was referring to the frequency response and not saying a $1400 headphone was low end.  When we reach $1400 as an entry level headphone I'll know we've gone off the hi-fi deep end..

Mainly I'm looking to hear just how much of an improvement the Ether is on the T1... 

Thanks

I hope the T1 comparisons in that review don't suggest the Ether has the same bright tone as the Beyer.  

May 5, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #678 of 2,843

Thanks

I hope the T1 comparisons in that review don't suggest the Ether has the same bright tone as the Beyer.  

I hate to say it but the problem with the review is proven above. Neither one of you knew exactly what he was trying to say. Honestly, neither did I. Needs more meat and potatoes and less...alcohol analogies. Sometimes saying something simply and with direct comparison goes a lot further than $5 words and complex sentences...IMO. 

May 5, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #680 of 2,843
  or at least I hope when he was saying "low end wuss" to describe the T1 he was referring to the frequency response 

You have misread, what he wrote there is quite clear. The "low-end wuss" was no reference to the T1 at all. He was saying the Ether prioritised clean separation and spaciousness over mass and heft, while at the same time not being a "low-end wuss" (as in lacking bass, which some readers might be concerned about given the "mass and heft" comment).

May 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #681 of 2,843

You have misread, what he wrote there is quite clear. The "low-end wuss" was no reference to the T1 at all. He was saying the Ether prioritised clean separation and spaciousness over mass and heft, while at the same time not being a "low-end wuss" (as in lacking bass, which some readers might be concerned about given the "mass and heft" comment).

Last sentence in one paragraph:  "They sound closer to the T1 than the Audeze"

First sentence next paragraph:  "That's not to say the Ether's are low end losers- They aren't" 

I can't see any other way to read that but to say that he's saying the T1 IS a low end *****.  I was trying to clarify if he was talking about frequency response and not quality of headphone.  The next sentence does talk about Bass articulation, so I would assume he is talking about low end.  But the comparison to the T1 is pretty clear.

Which still brings me back to my other question, there are lots of comparisons between the HD800, LCD series, HE-500/560/6/1000, but basically no mention of the T1. 

May 5, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #682 of 2,843
Disagree. I read it very clearly the way I restated it.

In the 'prioritises separation etc' paragraph he is referring to qualities of the Ether, that is the subject of the paragraph (not comparison to the T1). The last sentence is in reference to the subject, to state that it's presentation shares more in common with the T1 than the Audeze (separation etc, rather than heft). The qualities he is referring to are not about the frequency response.

The next paragraph is to further clarify the statements made about the preceding paragraphs subject, which was not a comparison to the T1, but qualities of the Ether.

Perhaps the author can clarify, but I doubt there is a problem with my reading comprehension here.

May 5, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #683 of 2,843
Disagree. I read it very clearly the way I restated it.

In the 'prioritises separation etc' paragraph he is referring to qualities of the Ether, that is the subject of the paragraph (not comparison to the T1). The last sentence is in reference to the subject, to state that it's presentation shares more in common with the T1 than the Audeze (separation etc, rather than heft). The qualities he is referring to are not about the frequency response.

The next paragraph is to further clarify the statements made about the preceding paragraphs subject, which was not a comparison to the T1, but qualities of the Ether.

Perhaps the author can clarify, but I doubt there is a problem with my reading comprehension here.

Well, I'm done worrying about it.  If I'm right the only comparison I have with the T1 is weight and much better bass (for the ether).  If you're right I'm really still looking for a comparison with the T1 since all I really have is they weigh the same...

May 5, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #684 of 2,843
Is there a full comparison with HD800?
Thanks.

In a nutshell: If you feel the HD-800s are too diffuse, too vague and/or peaky in the treble, but otherwise find the FR generally agreeable and you're a detail junkie, then you'll like the Ethers.

May 5, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #686 of 2,843

Just back from CanJam.  I spent more time with the MrSpeakers Ether than any other headphone today.  Let me start by commenting on the construction.  These headphones are amazingly light for their size and construction.  I could easily see myself doing extended listening sessions with no fatigue at all.  

If I were asked to compare them to an existing headphone, the sound to me is more LCD-2 (or LCD3) than HD800 or HE1000.  Of course a noisy room is poor listening environment, but that was my initial thought.  

The sound is remarkably close to your head.  That's the first thing you notice after the physical lightness of the headphone.  The music doesn't lose its sense of space, but it sounds like a very close, intimate sound.  Where the HE-1000 seems to trail off the music to an infinite distance, the Ether is very present.  

Detail and resolution is very good.  Comparable to the LCD3 or HD800. Both of those headphones don't have the intimacy of the Ether.  But some people prefer a wider space.  It's going to come down to preference.  

The bass is precise, not blooming or bloated in any way.  They're not thumpers, but the bass is full and satisfying.  I would not categorize the Ether as bass light.  

Compared to the HE1000, well as you might expect, the HE1000 is simply in another class in both price and sound.  The HE1000 is closer to the Stax 009 than anything else.  Where the Ether is close in, the HE1000 comes from all distances-- it's the closest thing to plugging you head into the mixing board I've ever heard.  It's a world-class headphone that is going to be debated as the best in the world for the next few years.  It's also twice the price.  Remember that.

The two pairings I heard were with the Schiit Ragnarok and the Woo WA-5.  I much preferred the pairing with the Woo.  A warmer more open sound was more inviting to my ears, given the close-sound effect of the headphone.  For the record, the Woo was using the K1000 output.  

The Ether was my 2nd favorite headphone of the show.  The HE1000 was my favorite, for anyone keeping score.  I will be purchasing the HE1000 and selling my HD800 when they're available.  The Ether is a great headphone, no question.  I'm just seeking that next level, and the Ether is a more lateral move than a move up.

I was at axpona last weekend and I got to hear the ether with three different full size amps. I have to agree I did prefer the woo wa5 to the schiit ragnarok . But the amp that I really liked the best of the three was the cavalli amp he was using. It really sounded good with the ethers . I liked what I heard so much I preordered a ether. I am looking forward to getting the ether. I know I am going to like its low mass for long listening sessions. My lcd2 v2s really get uncomfortable after a couple of cds. But they do sound great with the cable pro reverie upgrade cable .

May 5, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #687 of 2,843
If I may ask do you consider the Ether an upgrade to your LCD2's thanks..

May 5, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #688 of 2,843

I hate to say it but the problem with the review is proven above. Neither one of you knew exactly what he was trying to say. Honestly, neither did I. Needs more meat and potatoes and less...alcohol analogies. Sometimes saying something simply and with direct comparison goes a lot further than $5 words and complex sentences...IMO. 

Agreed.  Trying to make a review a piece of art isn't always advisable.  If you're really really good at it, go ahead.  But make sure you also say things more directly and clearly alongside the flourishes.

EDIT: Just wanted to note that I was not talking about the above-linked review in particular.  It was actually not one terribly prone to this problem, imo.  There is a LOT of bad review writing out there, though.

May 5, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #689 of 2,843
I would like to learn how the Ether compares to the T1 in imaging. I have an opportunity to buy a T1 a discounted price and wonder if it is worthy to spend the additional (actually twice) money for the Ether. My headphone collection shall be completed with an addition of headphone with good imaging capability.

May 6, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #690 of 2,843
  Agreed.  Trying to make a review a piece of art isn't always advisable.  If you're really really good at it, go ahead.  But make sure you also say things more directly and clearly alongside the flourishes.

EDIT: Just wanted to note that I was not talking about the above-linked review in particular.  It was actually not one terribly prone to this problem, imo.  There is a LOT of bad review writing out there, though.

It's the reason why I go for more collective approach, I absorb as many reviews of the said headphones as much as possible while avoiding amateurs ones at the same time (specially on youtube).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back