MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
May 3, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #648 of 2,843

A few of us at the SF Bay mini meet yesterday listened to the HE6, Ether and HD800 through a Rag/Ygg Rig and a Beautiful DIY build Dynalo MK2 fully balanced amp.  On both amps, the HE6 was well driven.  I've always been a fan of the HE6, though so far never enough to commit to buying and building a rig for them.

The HE6 did it's usual with great bass impact, nice mids and extended but occasionally sharp treble - a note here that I am very sensitive to treble frequencies, and I didn't get t he impression that the other two in out little listening group felt the same about the treble of the HE6 as I did.

The HD800's did their thing with detail retrieval, air, huge but realistic sound stage, good, accurate, extended bass and treble that was unpleasant to me (see note above).  I regularly refer to the HD800 as a musical scalpel, as that is what they seem to me.  A surgical interment for dissecting music or components.  The HD800 has it's propose, and for me, is much better with the Anax mods, but still probably not a headphone I'll own.

The Ether was very at home in this crowd.  As compared to the HE6, it has the bas extension, but not quite the impact, it has the detail extraction, and it has the extended treble without the edge.  It also has a quality I don't know how to describe, exactly, that the HE6 really does not, at least to the same degree.  The Ether has an air, an ease, or a speed that the HE6 does not, at least to the same degree.  The HD800 has it, and the HE1000 has it in spades.  From what I recall of the SR009 (it's been a couple of years since I've heard the SR009, so grain of salt here) also has it in spades.  An effortlessness in presentation is maybe another way to put it.

Last comment on the Ether - It is light and so comfortable.  This cannot be discounted or separated from the listening experience!  In comparison, the HE6 is a big, heavy, firm clamping headphone.  The HD800 is also a light, comfortable headphone.  Say what you will, this has an effect on listening enjoyment and on the sonic perception of the headphone to me.  A big, ponderous headphone (Audeze, I'm looking your way) starts to sound big and ponderous to me. 

Brief conclusion - the Ether is my choice, but not by a runaway in this little grouping of headphones.  I like the HE6, but I like the effortlessness the Ether has a bit better.  The Ether also sounds great out of lots of different rigs, even pretty modest ones.  The HE6 needs a powerful rig.  I respect the HD800 a lot.  It presents things in the chain or the music without moderation or apology.  That is both good and bad.  It definitely demands a good signal chain.  The Ether has more musicality than the HD800, to me anyway.  The Ether doesn't make everything sound good, crap sources and crap files sound like what they are, but it is more forgiving, and more enjoyable to me than the HD800.

One man's opinion for sure.  You know what they say about opinions….

Very balanced comments, some of the most balanced and therefore informative that I have seen.

Regards the 6 and the Rag - definitely a good pairing, although most of the experienced HE-6 owners who have had it rated it as not achieving the same sonic heights as other pairings they heard it on.

I'm less sensitive to treble, which really seems like a bit of an asset in this hobby frankly, as the achilles heel of a good number of very good headphones is the treble. Certainly for someone with that sensitivity the HE-6 may be more troublesome, and the HD800 even more so.

May 3, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #649 of 2,843

A few of us at the SF Bay mini meet yesterday listened to the HE6, Ether and HD800 through a Rag/Ygg Rig and a Beautiful DIY build Dynalo MK2 fully balanced amp.  On both amps, the HE6 was well driven.  I've always been a fan of the HE6, though so far never enough to commit to buying and building a rig for them.

The HE6 did it's usual with great bass impact, nice mids and extended but occasionally sharp treble - a note here that I am very sensitive to treble frequencies, and I didn't get t he impression that the other two in out little listening group felt the same about the treble of the HE6 as I did.

The HD800's did their thing with detail retrieval, air, huge but realistic sound stage, good, accurate, extended bass and treble that was unpleasant to me (see note above).  I regularly refer to the HD800 as a musical scalpel, as that is what they seem to me.  A surgical interment for dissecting music or components.  The HD800 has it's propose, and for me, is much better with the Anax mods, but still probably not a headphone I'll own.

The Ether was very at home in this crowd.  As compared to the HE6, it has the bas extension, but not quite the impact, it has the detail extraction, and it has the extended treble without the edge.  It also has a quality I don't know how to describe, exactly, that the HE6 really does not, at least to the same degree.  The Ether has an air, an ease, or a speed that the HE6 does not, at least to the same degree.  The HD800 has it, and the HE1000 has it in spades.  From what I recall of the SR009 (it's been a couple of years since I've heard the SR009, so grain of salt here) also has it in spades.  An effortlessness in presentation is maybe another way to put it.

Last comment on the Ether - It is light and so comfortable.  This cannot be discounted or separated from the listening experience!  In comparison, the HE6 is a big, heavy, firm clamping headphone.  The HD800 is also a light, comfortable headphone.  Say what you will, this has an effect on listening enjoyment and on the sonic perception of the headphone to me.  A big, ponderous headphone (Audeze, I'm looking your way) starts to sound big and ponderous to me. 

Brief conclusion - the Ether is my choice, but not by a runaway in this little grouping of headphones.  I like the HE6, but I like the effortlessness the Ether has a bit better.  The Ether also sounds great out of lots of different rigs, even pretty modest ones.  The HE6 needs a powerful rig.  I respect the HD800 a lot.  It presents things in the chain or the music without moderation or apology.  That is both good and bad.  It definitely demands a good signal chain.  The Ether has more musicality than the HD800, to me anyway.  The Ether doesn't make everything sound good, crap sources and crap files sound like what they are, but it is more forgiving, and more enjoyable to me than the HD800.

Thank you for the finely written piece and for being the first I've seen to include a sufficiently driven HE-6 to compare it to.  Opinions aside, the Ether's efficiency is one of it's best values for sure vs the HE-6. The better comfort/weight is also a big plus. 

I'd just say "good signal chain" for the HD800 generally means one that compliments its sound signature. If listened from the Ragg/Yggy, that would result in the discomforting aggressiveness you heard.

May 3, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #650 of 2,843
I really like hearing that the Ether compliments different tiers of gear. It doesn't require a high-end amp to shows its value, it's a great marketing scheme, allowing it to be available for people with a range of gear. Smart by Dan :wink:

May 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #651 of 2,843
Thank you for the finely written piece and for being the first I've seen to include a sufficiently driven HE-6 to compare it to.  Opinions aside, the Ether's efficiency is one of it's best values for sure vs the HE-6. The better comfort/weight is also a big plus. 

I'd just say "good signal chain" for the HD800 generally means one that compliments its sound signature. If listened from the Ragg/Yggy, that would result in the discomforting aggressiveness you heard.

I've heard the HD800 half a dozen or so times. This is the first te I've actually if not liked them, come to respect them. They are a heck of a headphone, just not quite my preference.

May 4, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #653 of 2,843
The treble quality is something I still find outstanding with them. The bass keeps getting better too, sound like it it coming from outside the headphones at times.  I still keep getting an illusion on some tracks that I'm feeling the bass in my body when I'm really not.

May 4, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #654 of 2,843
As i understand, the Ether's treble almost as much detailed, as hd800s, but more smoother and musical, like scalpel against paint brush, right?
The bass is not jaw drop kicker, but also very good.
And how about mids, and vocal presentation? As for me, i like, when the singer almost whispers the song into your ears, very close, forwardet, initimate etc.? Heard, that Ether has more "head stage" than "sound stage", so it's can be my cup of tea.

May 4, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #655 of 2,843

Was the HE-6 modded with the grill and fuzzor mods?  I can asure you those amps are not ideal for the HE-6 if your comparing the amps to other really good speaker amps.  The Rag just can't compete (relatively speaking).

I'm in line for the Ether as well.  I've gotten use to the comfort issues of the HE-6 so it's no biggie to me anymore.  When you talk about effortlessness, the HE-6 does this in spades on a real good (speaker amp).  

The Ether will go on the same speaker amp as the HE-6 so I will really be able to tell it's standing..

I 'm aware this is IYO..  

beerchug.gif

May 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #656 of 2,843
@preproman - as far as I know, HE6 was stock. I've heard it on a small tripath speaker amp - I don't recall which one, but it was popular with HE6 owners a while back. I have yet to hear it on a big vintage amp or the Emotiva that is popular with HE6 owners. I really look forward to your thoughts when you get the Ether. I am a fan of the HE6.

May 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #657 of 2,843
Ether don't need speakers taps, they too efficient. At the NYC meet Vinnie Rossi attached Ether to the speakers taps of the LIO and disconnected after less than 10 seconds saying not needed, too much power

May 4, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #658 of 2,843
No such thing as to much power.  To much gain maybe, and that's the case with a lot of amps out here - they have way to much gain.  I use my HD800s on my speaker amp so I know the Ether will do just fine.  

But you're right, it's more than likely not needed at all.  However, I feel my amp is just a better amp than most all - if not all headphone amps out.  That sure is the case with all the headphone amps I've heard thus far.

May 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #659 of 2,843
No such thing as to much power.  To much gain maybe, and that's the case with a lot of amps out here - they have way to much gain.  I use my HD800s on my speaker amp so I know the Ether will do just fine.  

But you're right, it's more than likely not needed at all.  However, I feel my amp is just a better amp than most all - if not all headphone amps out.  That sure is the case with all the headphone amps I've heard thus far.

There can also be too much noise. These are about 95-96dB/mW.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back