MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
May 3, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #631 of 2,843
That he6 comparison should be interesting. That's the only other headphone I'm considering.

Meet conditions are difficult especially for open headphones. I can tell the signature and if it is good or not. There isn't much past that unless it's really quiet.

May 3, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #633 of 2,843

No, sorry. I don't get many chances either where I'm located in Canada.

Outside of California I don't think many people have the chance to hear the Ether either, or so it seems. Are there stores that sell Mr. Speakers gear, or is it purchased directly only?

May 3, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #634 of 2,843
That he6 comparison should be interesting. That's the only other headphone I'm considering.

Meet conditions are difficult especially for open headphones. I can tell the signature and if it is good or not. There isn't much past that unless it's really quiet.

A few of us at the SF Bay mini meet yesterday listened to the HE6, Ether and HD800 through a Rag/Ygg Rig and a Beautiful DIY build Dynalo MK2 fully balanced amp.  On both amps, the HE6 was well driven.  I've always been a fan of the HE6, though so far never enough to commit to buying and building a rig for them.

The HE6 did it's usual with great bass impact, nice mids and extended but occasionally sharp treble - a note here that I am very sensitive to treble frequencies, and I didn't get t he impression that the other two in out little listening group felt the same about the treble of the HE6 as I did.

The HD800's did their thing with detail retrieval, air, huge but realistic sound stage, good, accurate, extended bass and treble that was unpleasant to me (see note above).  I regularly refer to the HD800 as a musical scalpel, as that is what they seem to me.  A surgical interment for dissecting music or components.  The HD800 has it's propose, and for me, is much better with the Anax mods, but still probably not a headphone I'll own.

The Ether was very at home in this crowd.  As compared to the HE6, it has the bas extension, but not quite the impact, it has the detail extraction, and it has the extended treble without the edge.  It also has a quality I don't know how to describe, exactly, that the HE6 really does not, at least to the same degree.  The Ether has an air, an ease, or a speed that the HE6 does not, at least to the same degree.  The HD800 has it, and the HE1000 has it in spades.  From what I recall of the SR009 (it's been a couple of years since I've heard the SR009, so grain of salt here) also has it in spades.  An effortlessness in presentation is maybe another way to put it.

Last comment on the Ether - It is light and so comfortable.  This cannot be discounted or separated from the listening experience!  In comparison, the HE6 is a big, heavy, firm clamping headphone.  The HD800 is also a light, comfortable headphone.  Say what you will, this has an effect on listening enjoyment and on the sonic perception of the headphone to me.  A big, ponderous headphone (Audeze, I'm looking your way) starts to sound big and ponderous to me. 

Brief conclusion - the Ether is my choice, but not by a runaway in this little grouping of headphones.  I like the HE6, but I like the effortlessness the Ether has a bit better.  The Ether also sounds great out of lots of different rigs, even pretty modest ones.  The HE6 needs a powerful rig.  I respect the HD800 a lot.  It presents things in the chain or the music without moderation or apology.  That is both good and bad.  It definitely demands a good signal chain.  The Ether has more musicality than the HD800, to me anyway.  The Ether doesn't make everything sound good, crap sources and crap files sound like what they are, but it is more forgiving, and more enjoyable to me than the HD800.

One man's opinion for sure.  You know what they say about opinions….

May 3, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #635 of 2,843
A few of us at the SF Bay mini meet yesterday listened to the HE6, Ether and HD800 through a Rag/Ygg Rig and a Beautiful DIY build Dynalo MK2 fully balanced amp.  On both amps, the HE6 was well driven.  I've always been a fan of the HE6, though so far never enough to commit to buying and building a rig for them.

The HE6 did it's usual with great bass impact, nice mids and extended but occasionally sharp treble - a note here that I am very sensitive to treble frequencies, and I didn't get t he impression that the other two in out little listening group felt the same about the treble of the HE6 as I did.

The HD800's did their thing with detail retrieval, air, huge but realistic sound stage, good, accurate, extended bass and treble that was unpleasant to me (see note above).  I regularly refer to the HD800 as a musical scalpel, as that is what they seem to me.  A surgical interment for dissecting music or components.  The HD800 has it's propose, and for me, is much better with the Anax mods, but still probably not a headphone I'll own.

The Ether was very at home in this crowd.  As compared to the HE6, it has the bas extension, but not quite the impact, it has the detail extraction, and it has the extended treble without the edge.  It also has a quality I don't know how to describe, exactly, that the HE6 really does not, at least to the same degree.  The Ether has an air, an ease, or a speed that the HE6 does not, at least to the same degree.  The HD800 has it, and the HE1000 has it in spades.  From what I recall of the SR009 (it's been a couple of years since I've heard the SR009, so grain of salt here) also has it in spades.  An effortlessness in presentation is maybe another way to put it.

Last comment on the Ether - It is light and so comfortable.  This cannot be discounted or separated from the listening experience!  In comparison, the HE6 is a big, heavy, firm clamping headphone.  The HD800 is also a light, comfortable headphone.  Say what you will, this has an effect on listening enjoyment and on the sonic perception of the headphone to me.  A big, ponderous headphone (Audeze, I'm looking your way) starts to sound big and ponderous to me. 

Brief conclusion - the Ether is my choice, but not by a runaway in this little grouping of headphones.  I like the HE6, but I like the effortlessness the Ether has a bit better.  The Ether also sounds great out of lots of different rigs, even pretty modest ones.  The HE6 needs a powerful rig.  I respect the HD800 a lot.  It presents things in the chain or the music without moderation or apology.  That is both good and bad.  It definitely demands a good signal chain.  The Ether has more musicality than the HD800, to me anyway.  The Ether doesn't make everything sound good, crap sources and crap files sound like what they are, but it is more forgiving, and more enjoyable to me than the HD800.

Great and informative write-up aamefford! Thanks for that.
Based on your memory alone, how does the Ether compare with the HE1000?
Thanks again!

May 3, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #636 of 2,843
Outside of California I don't think many people have the chance to hear the Ether either, or so it seems. Are there stores that sell Mr. Speakers gear, or is it purchased directly only?
Dan usually hits the big meets. If there is one within a few hundred miles that he will attend, that's your best bet and worth the effort of the trip.

May 3, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #637 of 2,843

http://www.theaudiogallery.ca/products/brands/mrspeakers 

From MrSpeakers' where to buy page. But they are located in Kelowna, BC if you were wondering about auditioning them at a store. Otherwise, like the above poster said, a meet would be the best way to hear them.

May 3, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #638 of 2,843
Great and informative write-up aamefford! Thanks for that.
Based on your memory alone, how does the Ether compare with the HE1000?
Thanks again!

The HE1000 costs like $3000. If that kind of money was no object to me, I'd own one. It's really good. It has the "effortless" quality that I struggle to put into words in spades, it is comfortable, great bass extension, great impact and just sounds luscious across the frequency band. It is a pretty amazing headphone.

The Ether costs half as much, has the same effortless quality. All the bass extension but a bit less impact. The Ether's treble may be attenuated slightly as compared to the HE1000, but don't quote me on that, my memory is already fading. The Ether is also a pretty special headphone. I may be able to own one and keep my kidneys. I'm planning on owning one. I won't wish I had the HE1000 instead. The Ether really held its own and shown brightly in top of the line company.

May 3, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #639 of 2,843
The HE1000 costs like $3000. If that kind of money was no object to me, I'd own one. It's really good. It has the "effortless" quality that I struggle to put into words in spades, it is comfortable, great bass extension, great impact and just sounds luscious across the frequency band. It is a pretty amazing headphone.

The Ether costs half as much, has the same effortless quality. All the bass extension but a bit less impact. The Ether's treble may be attenuated slightly as compared to the HE1000, but don't quote me on that, my memory is already fading. The Ether is also a pretty special headphone. I may be able to own one and keep my kidneys. I'm planning on owning one. I won't wish I had the HE1000 instead. The Ether really held its own and shown brightly in top of the line company.

Any opinions on it vs the Audeze line?

May 3, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #640 of 2,843
Any opinions on it vs the Audeze line?

I'm not so much a fan of Audeze, they are just not comfortable to me. I do like the sound of theLCD3 and X though. I keep harping on the effortless quality the Ethers have, but it is a lot of what impressed me about them. I don't get that so much from the Audeze line. Don't put too much stock in my comments as compared to the Audeze though - I did not do direct comparisons with them. Audeze is less my cup of tea. That's just me, many love them. Sorry I'm not much help here.

May 3, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #642 of 2,843

Thank you. I did hear the Ether this weekend but with unfamiliar gear (Schiit Ragnarok/Yggrasil or however it is spelled) and it did sound good however the environment was not the best as is the case for meet conditions. The Ether was definitely impressive but it could have been a combination of the entire chain. The biggest surprise was the weight of the Ether. I thought the HE-560 I owned was light for an ortho but the Ether was on another level. I've had issues with the HE-500, HE-6 and the LCD series with weight. It has been a few yers since I owned the HE-6 but I remember the midrange being special when driven well. I've regretted selling the HE-6 ever since I got rid of my Stax rig since I sold the HE-6 to go Stax but with it being discontinued it may very well be moot. Hifiman may be working on a successor to the HE-6 or at least I'd like to hope so.

I have plenty of time it seems since these won't be shipping until the end of next month. It's exciting times for head-fi with all these new headphones coming out. Unfortunately for my wallet, it does not look excited at all :)

May 3, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #643 of 2,843
Too me Ether are more realistic and musical then my modded HD800, unfortunately on setup I heard He-1000 they had pronounced bass but I don't is it headphones or an amp in use fault

May 3, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #645 of 2,843
I have started saving up for some PM-1s. Going to have to save a little longer now. These Ether revues sound awesome.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back