MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,311 of 2,843
I always laughed at audiophiles using music to listen to the system....
My ETHER the musical onion peeler.
I am using OTG adapter to a supra usb to my Oppo HA1. SAM S5 driving ONKYO player upscaling to 5.6 DSD.
Just ordered an IFI purifier 2.
I hope the SEIUN player will add a touch more. Crowd source hopes....

Maybe it's a phase trying to pull out more details with the kit I have.
ETHERS have done this, dam them..
Welcome to headfi....Have a..

I always found it rather difficult to judge the merits of a system without listening to music. 
L3000.gif

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #2,313 of 2,843
I am going to start quoting the Shawshank redemption Something about angles...8^) I am still enjoying my music but I am loving the extra details more on some pieces. The hard to follow computer Audiophile site... Have gone uptone regen crazy, now wyred for sound
Recovery.

Since my Ether’s are a huge step up for me,ATM I want to dig out more details. IFI IPURIFIER seemed a reasonable mini upgrade for the OPPO ha1 .
I may try an IFI power hub if the SEIUN DAP deliver on thier promises.
Good clean power seems the next mini upgrade. No one wants to start on the esoteric cable fights. My supra is just fine.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #2,314 of 2,843
We'll have the foam up on the site today.  A couple of owners did a little beta testing for us and will post impressions.  We'll start shipping tomorrow. 

First off I must thank Dan for the priveledge to demo/test his new material.

It is a low cost upgrade of a special density material which looks deceivingly simple and easy to install,
but gives great value.

As I stated in EtherC thread,
It is a must have if your looking to experience improvements that are quite surprising.

Here are some of my impressions:

The new foam piece seems to give a seductive nature to the sound, because of the deeper resolution combined with that smooth treble nature.
Upon extendid listening, I found absolutely fatigue free sound that is a major improvement.

All detailing was there which is surprising when you realize you have smoother tone.
There was an increase in perceived body and nuance, as detailing was more integrated into the actual instruments, showing more of the dimension of the instruments.
Also, audience claps where much more independent of each other, as an added depth was cast onto them.

I still prefer the Audeze pads on mine, which seem to give a less intimate soundstage perspective, about a few rows back,
and also make it about equal to the Code-X in soundstage.
To me, the Audeze pads added a greater insight to the dimensionality of these new added improvements the foam piece brings.

To clarify, the foam gives
Improvements of depth, body & smoothness...

I switched back again to stock pads, to gain a closer, more intimate experience at times,
But could not get away from the more holographic beauty of presentation with the Audeze pads.

So bottom line is your getting a can that is more seductive and liquid with greater clarity.

Edit:
Upon more critical listening with string instruments,
I found the depth of the new foams did not compensate for the diminished edging and air needed for the stings.
Yet STILL, the strings had more uniformity, separation of actual strings and less confusion/harshness of string harmonics..

So the presentation with new foams I found more useful for brighter music, or for using stock pads specifically, as they "clean up" stock pad sound. .

I hope Dan makes yet another set for those who want a touch more air,
But. .

To me the best sound still came from using the foam with Audeze non-leather pads.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #2,315 of 2,843
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 16, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #2,316 of 2,843
We'll be showing this at CanJam Singapore, and I'll do updates for free to anyone who brings their ETHER or ETHER C along.    Same is true for the SoCal meet, bring your headphones and we'll do it for you.

See many of you soon!  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2,318 of 2,843
  We'll be showing this at CanJam Singapore, and I'll do updates for free to anyone who brings their ETHER or ETHER C along.    Same is true for the SoCal meet, bring your headphones and we'll do it for you.

See many of you soon!  

Dan, I received my Ether C last Friday the 12th... ordered on the 9th last Tuesday, does it have the update already installed?
How do you distinguish between the Dum cable and regular cable?

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,319 of 2,843

Dan, I received my Ether C last Friday the 12th... ordered on the 9th last Tuesday, does it have the update already installed?
How do you distinguish between the Dum cable and regular cable?

Dan could we get like a cut-off order number that starts having those upgrades? That'll probably save the team some email replies.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #2,320 of 2,843
It's a replacement foam or something that gets added over the top? Will all new phones come with this?

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #2,321 of 2,843
Headphones that shipped as of last Friday the 12th have the part.  On the labels it will say A1.1 instead of A1 when the parts are factory installed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back