MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Dec 2, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #5,401 of 5,796
Sure.

Black foam = lightest damping, smooths any standing waves that may develop for some users in the 4.5-6K range and/or 9-12K. Whether or not you get this is ofter ear-shape dependent. Gives a nice smooth tone to highs.
Black felt = medium damping, 1-2 dB above 3 KHz.
White felt = more damping, 2-3 dB above 800 Hz.

These are rough descriptions. On bright systems I use white felt, such as a lot of portable gear, on my tube gear black foam.

By combining the pads do you get more warmth out it, like for example black and white felt 3-5db above 800Hz ? Roughly..?

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #5,402 of 5,796
And another question:
After removing the original damping material on the ether flows there were two points left and right from the driver holes with glue sticking on them. I didn't take that glue away. Hope this is fine that way? I had to scratch otherwise.
Just thought about this, that now the ear pad material next to the driver could get "glued" to this two points..

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #5,403 of 5,796
And another question:
After removing the original damping material on the ether flows there were two points left and right from the driver holes with glue sticking on them. I didn't take that glue away. Hope this is fine that way? I had to scratch otherwise.
Just thought about this, that now the ear pad material next to the driver could get "glued" to this two points..
On mine, that "glue" seems to be double sided tape. Dan did not remove that on my Ether C Flow, so that should be fine. I noticed that when I swapped pads the other day. It's still good to remember this when swapping pads so you can carefully detach the pad from the double sided tape. But there was no damage to the pad's thin cloth backing when I just ripped it out without knowing it can get stuck a bit.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #5,404 of 5,796
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 7, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #5,407 of 5,796
I just upgraded with the new pads only. They are easy to remove, but tricky to get back on. Definitely firmer better fit. Bass response is noticeably more powerful and present. Overall soundstage seems wider and better detailed. Love the upgrade. Thx again Dan.
Am using no filters. Like the open treble. doesn't seem too bright to me, or maybe i've lost so much upper range hearing that i need the brighter sound!! :)

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #5,408 of 5,796
I just upgraded with the new pads only. They are easy to remove, but tricky to get back on. Definitely firmer better fit. Bass response is noticeably more powerful and present. Overall soundstage seems wider and better detailed. Love the upgrade. Thx again Dan.
Am using no filters. Like the open treble. doesn't seem too bright to me, or maybe i've lost so much upper range hearing that i need the brighter sound!! :)
My thoughts exactly. Thanks.

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #5,409 of 5,796
Dec 13, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #5,411 of 5,796
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 13, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #5,412 of 5,796
Listening to NAS ‘Illmatic’ with white felt + black felt. Getting a nice rich warm sound and woolly bass.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #5,413 of 5,796
Ultimate Ether C Flow upgrade experience for jazz and classical: 1.1 upgrade kit, black foam, new angled pads, VIVO cable + Metrum Onyx > Tisbury mini passive preamp > Apex Peak+Volcano+Psvane 6SN7-SE. Just for instance: percussion, from kick drum to cymbals well separated, clean hits, very realistic decays. I've been upgrading this system for quite a while, the final step was the new pads and cable. Not going anywhere else for a while :)

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #5,414 of 5,796
Were graphs ever posted for the 3 tunings for 1.1?
I started with white felt as that is what is shipped in place for new phones, after listening for awhile decided that it was a bit too damped, and switched to black felt, just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back