MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #5,432 of 5,796
Why does this keep coming up? Mine are arriving in a couple of weeks and I am now paranoid I am going to get a defective pair or hate the sound compared with my EFO.

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #5,433 of 5,796
I’m considering the Ether C Flow, I need a closed back for the office (open space) and so far seems like the Ether C Flow are among the best. I usually listen at low volume, between 60 and 70 dB according to an app on my phone. I’ve tried some headphones that sound lean unless you turn the volume up. How do the Ether C Flow sound at low volumes?

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #5,434 of 5,796
I’m considering the Ether C Flow, I need a closed back for the office (open space) and so far seems like the Ether C Flow are among the best. I usually listen at low volume, between 60 and 70 dB according to an app on my phone. I’ve tried some headphones that sound lean unless you turn the volume up. How do the Ether C Flow sound at low volumes?
I've listened to C Flows with a variety of amps (in decreasing output power order): Schiit Jotunheim and Lyr 3, Neurochrome HP-1, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, and currently (vintage) Apex Peak. I listen at relatively low volume to modern jazz, classical, world. All of those amps, even the Apex Peak that tops out at under 1W at C Flow impedance, are capable of driving the C Flows really well at moderate volumes, nothing lean about the sound.

Actually, at work I use Æon Closed with the Neurochrome amp. I love my C Flows, but the Æons are lighter and thus more comfortable for work.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #5,435 of 5,796

One of the most interesting aspects of the Flows, open or closed, is how they use different pads that allows tuning them to individual taste. Throw in the 1.1 upgrade kit and you can make these sound just the way you want them to sound. Nice!

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #5,436 of 5,796
This is the scenario in which I use my Ether C's the most. I don't listen very loud and they do a great job of cutting out office noise while still sounding full. I previously used the Aeon's at work and found that they didn't quite have enough body/bass to overcome the ambient noise of my office. No such issue with the Ether C Flow :)

Jan 22, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #5,437 of 5,796
I felt that it sounded thin and had less meat on the bones. Also I did not hear the bass the way the reviewers said they did.

What's your source if I don't mind asking. I'm a new Ether 2 owner and like it and as it is my first Mr Speakers product, I'm now interested in their other headphones specifically the Ether Flow 1.1 as the few reviews that I've read say that it's more musical, but not too colored which would be what I would be looking for in another headphone.

Jan 22, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #5,438 of 5,796
What's your source if I don't mind asking. I'm a new Ether 2 owner and like it and as it is my first Mr Speakers product, I'm now interested in their other headphones specifically the Ether Flow 1.1 as the few reviews that I've read say that it's more musical, but not too colored which would be what I would be looking for in another headphone.

An Aurender N10 and dCS Debussy DAC.

However since I used the same source equipment for both headphones, it is an apples to apples comparison.

Jan 22, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #5,439 of 5,796
An Aurender N10 and dCS Debussy DAC.

However since I used the same source equipment for both headphones, it is an apples to apples comparison.

That's some nice gear and it was still too light for you? I mean I sorta feel the same way with the Hugo TT2 and the E2. It has good impact, transparency, and depth and I normally like the sound of solid state amps, but I do feel that adding a tube or hybrid amp could get me closer to what I want as far as sound is concerned by adding a little warmth. Or maybe pickup the EF1.1 (not sure if open or closed would be better for me as I'm just looking into it) for the amount of musicality that I think the E2 is lacking.

Jan 22, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #5,440 of 5,796
That's some nice gear and it was still too light for you? I mean I sorta feel the same way with the Hugo TT2 and the E2. It has good impact, transparency, and depth and I normally like the sound of solid state amps, but I do feel that adding a tube or hybrid amp could get me closer to what I want as far as sound is concerned by adding a little warmth. Or maybe pickup the EF1.1 (not sure if open or closed would be better for me as I'm just looking into it) for the amount of musicality that I think the E2 is lacking.

I use a Violectric V281 for the amplification and this has great impact but also laid back.

It wasn't a matter of too light, I was just saying that I felt that the Ether Flow Open had a fuller and more lush sound compared to the E2.

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #5,444 of 5,796
Just for comparisons, E2 sounds definitely warmer than Focal Clear and Ether C Flow.

I had the Focal Utopia and Clear and sold both because I just didn't like the treble and the lack of warmth. I'm just wondering if adding the Ether Flow 1.1 would be a nice alternative to the E2 for certain types of music. I am surprised that you say that the E2 is warmer than the Ether C Flow. I would have thought it would be the opposite. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #5,445 of 5,796
I had the Focal Utopia and Clear and sold both because I just didn't like the treble and the lack of warmth. I'm just wondering if adding the Ether Flow 1.1 would be a nice alternative to the E2 for certain types of music. I am surprised that you say that the E2 is warmer than the Ether C Flow. I would have thought it would be the opposite. Thanks for your input.
ECF 1.1 is definitely on the leaner/brighter side of neutral. Without the 1.1 upgrade the bass is definitely elevated, but as is mentioned earlier in the thread, has a big dip in the mids as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back