MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #5,371 of 5,796
just ordered my pads. really looking forward to the enhanced bass. I didn't order the 1.1 upgrade as i'm pretty happy with them otherwise. thx dan!

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #5,372 of 5,796
This is a plot of old pads vs new pads on the C Flow 1.1 with no tuning materials added. The increase in bass is substantial. Red = new pads Teal = original pads

The effect is similar on ETHER Flow.

Damn that is a huge difference. I will definitely get the new pads and the 1.1 upgrade when funds are available! Any chance that the UK dealer (Electromod) will get stock of the upgrades or pads? Makes avoiding pesky customs wait times.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #5,374 of 5,796
Wow. That's huge difference in bass responses. But I am a little bit worried about a deeper dip around 2.2k. Small EQ might help to smooth it out.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #5,375 of 5,796
Wow. That's huge difference in bass responses. But I am a little bit worried about a deeper dip around 2.2k. Small EQ might help to smooth it out.

That "dip" is an artifact of headphone measurements. Right now, for better or for worse, the normal method to measure is to apply what is called "diffuse field compensation" to the measurements, which alway creates a large notch in this region that is not reflective of the audio performance of the headphone. There is, simply put, no known or standardized way to produce a linear measurement that actually reflects the sound above ~1KHz. Below 1KHz measurements look like what you hear, above, it's just no correlation.

This is why we tend to not publish performance measurements; to too many people it creates the appearance of problems where there are none.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #5,376 of 5,796
Nov 28, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #5,378 of 5,796
I am a little confused as to which are the new pads for the Ether Flow Open. The ones I bought over two years ago have angled pads so am I right in assuming that the new pads are the flat ones?

I'm also confused. I have angeled pads but no idea if they are the 'updated' pads or not. How do you tell the difference? I upgraded my Ether to Flow in April 2017.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #5,379 of 5,796
I'm also confused. I have angeled pads but no idea if they are the 'updated' pads or not. How do you tell the difference? I upgraded my Ether to Flow in April 2017.
This may help:
Got mine a few hours ago. New pads on the left, old pads on the right:

New pad squeezed by an Audioquest Perch headphone stand:

Old pad squeezed by an Audioquest Perch headphone stand:

The old ones feel like foam, the new ones feel like memory foam in the sense that they don't immediately bounce back after being squeezed.

My Ether Flow and Ether C Flow should have had the new pads based on their manufacturing date and what Dan wrote, but both had the old pads, so I wouldn't rely on date comparisons.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #5,380 of 5,796
I don't suppose there is a graph just showing the difference of the port stickers?

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #5,382 of 5,796
I have the new pads and the paper driver 1.1 mod on. I took off the bass vent mod and the bass is very delicious and meaty now. :)

Definitely recommended if you like a nice rumble and presence in your bass.
I know this is difficult, but how would you describe bass before and after removing the stickers? I am thinking of doing it, I know there are enough stickers to replace them if I don't like the change.
If you are familiar with the original LCD-2, that is my favorite for bass response.
Thanks

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #5,383 of 5,796
I know this is difficult, but how would you describe bass before and after removing the stickers? I am thinking of doing it, I know there are enough stickers to replace them if I don't like the change.
If you are familiar with the original LCD-2, that is my favorite for bass response.
Thanks

It simply makes the bass more present. There is more rumble in the subbass. I haven't heard the original LCD2, but I have heard the newest fazor. The bass isn't as heavy as that as I think the mid and high bass is toned down on the Ether C. However, it definitely give the bass very good presence on tracks. I don't find it overwhelming but definitely more preferred for me.

So bass on the original Ether C Flow was good and the way I liked it. Adding the 1.1 update, I noticed a decrease in bass presence. I wasn't happy with that. Removing the vent patch actually made the bass (assumed) greater than the original Ether C Flows bass. It's a powerful bass that doesn't drown out or bleed.

What I don't understand is that the 1.1 kit came with THREE bass ports? Why not 4?

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #5,384 of 5,796
It simply makes the bass more present. There is more rumble in the subbass. I haven't heard the original LCD2, but I have heard the newest fazor. The bass isn't as heavy as that as I think the mid and high bass is toned down on the Ether C. However, it definitely give the bass very good presence on tracks. I don't find it overwhelming but definitely more preferred for me.

So bass on the original Ether C Flow was good and the way I liked it. Adding the 1.1 update, I noticed a decrease in bass presence. I wasn't happy with that. Removing the vent patch actually made the bass (assumed) greater than the original Ether C Flows bass. It's a powerful bass that doesn't drown out or bleed.

What I don't understand is that the 1.1 kit came with THREE bass ports? Why not 4?
Mine came with 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back