MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Nov 25, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #5,357 of 5,796
I'm thinking of upgrading my Ether Flow Open's which I've had for about two years. I could order the 1.1 upgrade pack, the new flat earpads or both. I'll have to order direct from Mr Speakers as neither item appears on the UK distributer's website. Anyone have any opinion on which contributes most to improve the sound? Do the new earpads really make that much difference? Should I get both? Anyone prefer the standard model which I have?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #5,358 of 5,796
Anyone come up with combo instructions for updating pads and the tuning kit?
Most likely it is obviously easy to do, but thought I'd ask...

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #5,359 of 5,796
The 1.1 kit comes with good instructions. Pads go on really easily.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #5,361 of 5,796
The update isn't exactly reversible though. So keep that in mind. It's a sticker paper decal you put over the driver and once it's on there, you MAY be able to pull it off once and reattach it but i would think it would lose the adhesiveness to it.
I agree, but it is reversible in the sense that you can rip off the decals and revert back to the 1.0 tuning. After you go back once, you might have a hard time reapplying the 1.1 kit for the aforementioned reason.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #5,362 of 5,796
If you have older soft pads (pre June 2017) upgrade the pads and go to the 1.1 tuning with the white felt.
This worked great for me, no longer feel a need to use the Loki

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #5,364 of 5,796
Impressions from you sounding great, I know I will try white felt first for sure.
Ordered pads and 1.1 10 days ago, no confirmation on shipping as of now. Hopefully this comes sooner than later

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #5,365 of 5,796
Quick question. Does the Ether Flow 1.1 with one of the combination of pads have more bass than the Ether Flow 1.0? Just a tad more bass without effecting the treble would be perfect for me.

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #5,366 of 5,796
Quick question. Does the Ether Flow 1.1 with one of the combination of pads have more bass than the Ether Flow 1.0? Just a tad more bass without effecting the treble would be perfect for me.

I can only speak to the CFLOW post 1.1, but the new pads are what helped with the low end response. The 1.1 kit adds more resolution, but with certain configurations of the pads (black foam only, for example), you might end up with brighter sound. I feel like the White felt restores some of the low end, and based on a prior post by Dan, I think that using the White felt and black foam should bring back most of the original signature.

I’m using the White felt plus the updated pads (my pads were from launch in October 2016), so I feel like I have better resolution and increased bass response. Really enjoying.

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #5,369 of 5,796
Ok, thanks for that. I'll order a pair and the 1.1 tuning kit to experiment with in the New Year (don't want them getting lost in the Xmas post). Though I have to say I am still really enjoying the originals. Just can't resist that upgrade itch!

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #5,370 of 5,796

This is a plot of old pads vs new pads on the C Flow 1.1 with no tuning materials added. The increase in bass is substantial. Red = new pads Teal = original pads

C Flow Old v New Pad.png

The effect is similar on ETHER Flow.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back