MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 4, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #4,666 of 5,796
Update:

I should shut up about the negative effects on the EFO. Driven properly they sound amazing.
I'm really enjoying Yggy > V281 > Flow open combo.
I'm playing very challenging music and it sounds excellent.

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #4,667 of 5,796
Fair enough. It was a general statement. I’m not the first to make the Planar / tubes statement tho.
What I should have said is the Ether does not sound good on my WA22, my friends WA5 and custom made Glenn 300B amp.
Comparing these tube amps side by side next to a decent SS amp was a wake up call. Tubes didn’t get close. Often tubes absolutely wrecked the listened to track.
The same track on these tube amps and a dynamic driver HP sounded fantastic. Dynamic driver HP’s we used were HD800s, Utopia and NightHawks.

Giving the EFO another go today on my V281. I should have spent more time on this combo. I really like what I’m hearing. I should have just dropped the whole needing to use tubes thing.
I was going to sell my EFO however now I’m not sure.

A helpful point of reference, thanks. :)

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #4,668 of 5,796
Sometimes I have the impression that microphonics are quite loud on my EFO. I use an forza audioworks noir hpc mk2, but think microphonics with stock cable are quite the same.
Especially when something touches the cable near the connectors, a zipper or something, it can be disturbing for me.
Any way to reduce this microphonics? (I'm not thinking about getting an more expensive cable)

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #4,670 of 5,796
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if somebody test pads rolling on the ether c flows?

I'm using the standard pad(angled).

I've used the alternative pad that Mr Speakers supplied. With a far larger area for ears.

Sound improved. Especially upper treble sweetened.
Ultimately I went back to the stock pads. I found the ends of my ears touched the felt pad and caused unbearable irritation.
The stock pad kinda clamps my ears.
Other users may not have my issue and would enjoy the alternative pad.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #4,671 of 5,796
I've used the alternative pad that Mr Speakers supplied. With a far larger area for ears.

Sound improved. Especially upper treble sweetened.
Ultimately I went back to the stock pads. I found the ends of my ears touched the felt pad and caused unbearable irritation.
The stock pad kinda clamps my ears.
Other users may not have my issue and would enjoy the alternative pad.

I also have both stock and the flat pads.
I think the sound timbre improved with the flat pads. However the stock pads isolate better and I need it so I use stock more these days.

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #4,675 of 5,796
I wonder if zmf pads it's good for EFC. The are now lambskin, protein and perfored lambskin. Some Sound modifications i suppose.

I'm afraid That estat pad are thinner for my ears with the driver.

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #4,677 of 5,796
I use a tube DAC and an all solid state amp, similar concept, works great, and having the ability to tweak with tube rolling provides flexibility an all SS setup wouldn't support.

are you using the basic level tubedac 3? what tubes have you happily rolled to?

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #4,678 of 5,796
are you using the basic level tubedac 3? what tubes have you happily rolled to?
Yes, I have the basic DAC III.
I found the 5751 type to be a big improvement over any 12AX7 I tried, and of the different 5751s, my favorite is what I am using now, see this page: http://www.audiotubes.com/12ax7.htm.
The owner is a great resource, I told him what I was looking for, and he recommended the RCA 5751 blackplate TRIPLE MICA ($175/pr). Was exactly what I wanted in a sound signature (punchy bass and smooth top end).
I highly recommend talking to him for your tube needs, if I had gone to him first I would have saved money on buying other tubes before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back