MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jan 3, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #4,652 of 5,796
If you don't like these tubes, you can try change it

It’s not the tubes it’s these HP’s fall apart on tubes. Most Planars do tho.
It is better to SS amp them.

Jan 3, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4,653 of 5,796
It’s not the tubes it’s these HP’s fall apart on tubes. Most Planars do tho.
It is better to SS amp them.

I would respectfully disagree with that statement.

There are multiple tube technologies some of which work better with planars than others. The easiest tube topology to work with is hybrid, where the output is solid state. This generally will work well even with low impedance loads because the low output impedance and high current capacity are a good fit to planars.

Another tube topology uses a transformer output. Here you may or may not be in good shape, you need to know if the output transformer has a low impedance tap, and what range it covers for efficient power transfer. Amp makers will usually specify the target impedance.

Lastly are OTL, OTL are the most problematic because they are generally better at swinging voltage than pushing current, but even some OTL designs are quite happy with planars, for example the Linear Tube Audio ZOTL products.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 3, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #4,654 of 5,796

There are multiple tube technologies some of which work better with planars than others. The easiest tube topology to work with is hybrid, where the output is solid state. This generally will work well even with low impedance loads because the low output impedance and high current capacity are a good fit to planars.

Another tube topology uses a transformer output. Here you may or may not be in good shape, you need to know if the output transformer has a low impedance tap, and what range it covers for efficient power transfer. Amp makers will usually specify the target impedance.

Lastly are OTL, OTL are the most problematic because they are generally better at swinging voltage than pushing current, but even some OTL designs are quite happy with planars, for example the Linear Tube Audio ZOTL products.

Im using transformer. The sound closes up. All instruments blend in together. The best way to describe it is it sounds like a mono speaker transistor radio. Switch to my SS amp and everything opens up again.
I will do some more Flow / V281 listening because last time I was impressed. It’s just that I wanted to use tubes.
All dynamic driver HP’s that I have used on my tube amp have responded wonderfully.

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #4,655 of 5,796
My Ether Flows sound pretty good with a Mjolnir 2 which is a tube hybrid so I think I would agree with Dan.

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #4,656 of 5,796
My Ether Flows sound pretty good with a Mjolnir 2 which is a tube hybrid so I think I would agree with Dan.

........and with the C Flows as well. I have no complaints with Dan's planners and the MJ2. The tube warmth is there, the clarity is there, and way more current than is needed to drive'em.

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4,657 of 5,796
........and with the C Flows as well. I have no complaints with Dan's planners and the MJ2. The tube warmth is there, the clarity is there, and way more current than is needed to drive'em.
I use a tube DAC and an all solid state amp, similar concept, works great, and having the ability to tweak with tube rolling provides flexibility an all SS setup wouldn't support.

Jan 3, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #4,658 of 5,796
Im using transformer. The sound closes up. All instruments blend in together. The best way to describe it is it sounds like a mono speaker transistor radio. Switch to my SS amp and everything opens up again.
I will do some more Flow / V281 listening because last time I was impressed. It’s just that I wanted to use tubes.
All dynamic driver HP’s that I have used on my tube amp have responded wonderfully.

I think Dan was just responding to your absolute general statement regarding tube gear vs referring to your tube gear. It can be misleading to readers when making broad statements.

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #4,660 of 5,796

I have recently purchased a Pathos Aurium, a pure class A, tube pre stage and MOS-FET power stage, zero feedback.
Paired to my Ether C Flow it sounds fantastic. The cans have never sounded so detailed and refined.
I come from a Liquid Carbon (SS) and bass is more powerful and precise, never muddy. The sound is overall more 3D and airy.
For me a very lucky pairing which kind of falls into Dan’s comment above.

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #4,661 of 5,796
Are you using the Pathos with balanced or singled ended cable? Has anyone compared the Pathos Aurium (with Ether Flows or Ether Flow Cs) to the Schiit MJ2, AmpsandSound Kenzie or Kenzie Encore, or Eddie Current? So many good choices out there with headphone amps now, it's overwhelming!

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #4,662 of 5,796
Surprisingly the Feliks Audio Espressivo MKII powers the Ether Flow very well, and it's an OTL amp. Tube rolling works very well, and you can tune how much warmth you want, the soundstage is nice and wide. They do lose a teeny tiny amount of their dynamics when compared to a good and powerful SS amp (Keces S3), but still sound stellar. the Ether Flow has become one of my favourite headphones.

IMG_20180104_153605-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #4,663 of 5,796
I have recently purchased a Pathos Aurium, a pure class A, tube pre stage and MOS-FET power stage, zero feedback.
Paired to my Ether C Flow it sounds fantastic. The cans have never sounded so detailed and refined.
I come from a Liquid Carbon (SS) and bass is more powerful and precise, never muddy. The sound is overall more 3D and airy.
For me a very lucky pairing which kind of falls into Dan’s comment above.
Hello, with de liquid carbon, what about the high range?

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #4,664 of 5,796
Ether 2.jpg
Hello, with de liquid carbon, what about the high range?
Nothing missing in the high range. If you like the treble the Flows provide, they come through with no veil or roll off.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #4,665 of 5,796
I think Dan was just responding to your absolute general statement regarding tube gear vs referring to your tube gear. It can be misleading to readers when making broad statements.

Fair enough. It was a general statement. I’m not the first to make the Planar / tubes statement tho.
What I should have said is the Ether does not sound good on my WA22, my friends WA5 and custom made Glenn 300B amp.
Comparing these tube amps side by side next to a decent SS amp was a wake up call. Tubes didn’t get close. Often tubes absolutely wrecked the listened to track.
The same track on these tube amps and a dynamic driver HP sounded fantastic. Dynamic driver HP’s we used were HD800s, Utopia and NightHawks.

Giving the EFO another go today on my V281. I should have spent more time on this combo. I really like what I’m hearing. I should have just dropped the whole needing to use tubes thing.
I was going to sell my EFO however now I’m not sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back