MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #2,461 of 5,796

I noticed the same thing - the Flow sound great out of the box.  I've got around 100 hours now - and with each listening they sound better.  The sound stage is getting deeper all the time.  Fantastic mids/voices and treble.  Just love 'em.

beerchug.gif

RCBinTN

Good to hear. Can't wait to get 200+ hours on these babies. So far I am very happy with the Ether Flow - much better sounding can than the Ether C 1.1 to my ears.

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #2,462 of 5,796
I noticed the same thing - the Flow sound great out of the box.  I've got around 100 hours now - and with each listening they sound better.  The sound stage is getting deeper all the time.  Fantastic mids/voices and treble.  Just love 'em.

:beerchug:
RCBinTN
I was wanting to love the C Flows but it was not to be going open this time. I know it will be next year for the upgrade but I can wait. Going to miss you at the Nashville meet as Matt says the Flows sound awesome with my new amp Ampsandsound Kenzie I'm sure I'll still have it in the fall also.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,463 of 5,796
I was wanting to love the C Flows but it was not to be going open this time. I know it will be next year for the upgrade but I can wait. Going to miss you at the Nashville meet as Matt says the Flows sound awesome with my new amp Ampsandsound Kenzie I'm sure I'll still have it in the fall also.

Yeah man, the open Flows are a killer HP.  You know, I wanted a closed HP to sound good but was disappointed with the LCD-XC as too boomy although killer bass for those who may enjoy that SQ.  I don't, instead I prefer a more reference sound therefore my line-up LCD-X / Ether Flow / HD800.  All open cans.  However, the LCD-X and now the Ether Flow do have exceptional bass, even the lower bass, while being an open HP.

I heard the open Flow will be at the Nashville meet - thanks, @MattTCG because folks need to hear this can.  

Will miss seeing you guys - hopefully in the spring.

Prost,
Dick

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #2,464 of 5,796
Got my Ether Flows and Wywires Platinum broke in. You can have them when you can prize my cold dead hands away from them. Glad I did not wait for my turn for my C's upgrade. If I don't post for a while, I'm just listening to music.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #2,465 of 5,796
I got my flow open last week, and have listened for roughly 120 hours.
I agree that flow sounds very good from the very first moment.

But I felt it could not stack up against other TOTL or four-figure headphones. Honestly in day 1, all the criticism toward flow open seemed true - lack of body, lack of impact, lack of cohesiveness, and so forth.

Things changed as they broke in. Or maybe it's my brain :)
The change was not a day-and-night one, which I observed in some headphones before. But break-in improved the entire quality of reproduced sound as a total package.

Now I think the sound of ether flow is very delicate and detailed. In additions, I like its great soundstage and natural images. Most importantly, ether flow is very enjoyable and engaging. I could just focus on listening to music, and it easily enables me to connect to various recordings I really love.

In other words, flow is just growing on me. Observing how it changes everyday is just a big pleasure as an audiophile.

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2,466 of 5,796
I just purchased the standard ethers and will soon be making the decision to upgrade or not. I had a brief listen to both side by side, only brief.

To me the increased bass on the flows seemed to take away from the top end. The transient edges sounded sharper on the standard ether which makes it stand out to me.
In overall presentation the ether flows were better but to me they didn't have the magic that the original ethers have, the overwhelming resolution.

What do you guys think? maybe i didn't spend enough time with them. I also didn't have the chance to try the flat ear pads of the flows.

Side question: When you send the ethers in for an upgrade do you need to send the original ear pads with it, or can you take them off to keep?

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #2,467 of 5,796
I just purchased the standard ethers and will soon be making the decision to upgrade or not. I had a brief listen to both side by side, only brief.

To me the increased bass on the flows seemed to take away from the top end. The transient edges sounded sharper on the standard ether which makes it stand out to me.
In overall presentation the ether flows were better but to me they didn't have the magic that the original ethers have, the overwhelming resolution.

I have not heard the new ones but I have the ether 1.1 open. I really like them. What I always liked about them is the balance. One part of the sounds signature does not overwhelm the other. That being said I am still curious to hear the flow and hope to have a chance to hear it soon.

What do you guys think? maybe i didn't spend enough time with them. I also didn't have the chance to try the flat ear pads of the flows.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #2,469 of 5,796

Should definitely upgrade. The standard ether to my ears are bass light and too much mid bass

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2,473 of 5,796
  Still waiting for my upgraded Ether to be cleared by customs. Can not wait to listen to them!

Scanspeakman

Got my Ether -> Ether Flow yesterday. Glad I got them back. Upgrade looks flawless. In my case also the screws were replaced with the darker ones (instead of what was mentioned in the upgrade post that the silver colored screws would be kept when upgrading from Ether). Not able te make distinction from new/non-upgraded Ether Flow.

The new blue rings look awesome. Wasn't too sure when I saw the first pictures. I really liked the edited picture in an earlier post with what looked like black rings. The new dark blue in real life looks almost the same. Really cool!

Hard to say much about the sound. Yes there is that little more bass that makes it better/perfect. Mid-range and treble feels almost the same. Not yet as I remember my Ether 1.1 but played only 6-7 hours of music so far. Already hearing improvements. Bass getting tighter and treble getting "airy-er". love it!

Scanspeakman

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #2,474 of 5,796

Got my Ether -> Ether Flow yesterday. Glad I got them back. Upgrade looks flawless. In my case also the screws were replaced with the darker ones (instead of what was mentioned in the upgrade post that the silver colored screws would be kept when upgrading from Ether). Not able te make distinction from new/non-upgraded Ether Flow.

The new blue rings look awesome. Wasn't too sure when I saw the first pictures. I really liked the edited picture in an earlier post with what looked like black rings. The new dark blue in real life looks almost the same. Really cool!

Hard to say much about the sound. Yes there is that little more bass that makes it better/perfect. Mid-range and treble feels almost the same. Not yet as I remember my Ether 1.1 but played only 6-7 hours of music so far. Already hearing improvements. Bass getting tighter and treble getting "airy-er". love it!

Scanspeakman

Got 50 hours on mine. Significantly better than fresh out of the box (which was kinda nice to start with).

A much improved headphone over the Ether C 1.1 IMHO.

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,475 of 5,796
My flow open finally finished 200 hours of break-ins. Of course my brain might burn in, too :)
Whatever, they sounds really great. Still have some minor flaws, but extremely enjoyable and pleasing.

Bass is here. Midrange is here. Top-end is here. Resolution is here. Soundstage and image are here. To me, flow successfully justified their four-figure asking price. I am also happy that all these can be achieved with relatively humble gears (some TOTL cans really require a lot to reach this level of satisfaction. My previous sr009 was one of them.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back