MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 22, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,476 of 5,796
My flow open finally finished 200 hours of break-ins. Of course my brain might burn in, too :)
Whatever, they sounds really great. Still have some minor flaws, but extremely enjoyable and pleasing.

Bass is here. Midrange is here. Top-end is here. Resolution is here. Soundstage and image are here. To me, flow successfully justified their four-figure asking price. I am also happy that all these can be achieved with relatively humble gears (some TOTL cans really require a lot to reach this level of satisfaction. My previous sr009 was one of them.)

This all sounds so great, for weeks now the flows are my number one to get. (Please consider, I'm getting a headphone once in ten years, last two headphones for me are hd590 and pm3, ok since the hd and the pm's it's 13 years, and now I'm considering a new headphone after 6 months owning the pm3, this is not against the oppos, I love them, but I realized, that I want an open one at home, so the next one will be an open one, and then for sure for ten years, I'm serious!),
That's why I'm interested in hearing also the negative about ether flow?

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #2,477 of 5,796
That's why I'm interested in hearing also the negative about ether flow?

Well, not very serious indeed. No single headphones are perfect, aren't they
biggrin.gif

To my ears, flow is a little bright. This is not bad at all, but very few tracks revealed some hint of sibilance (but much less so than hd800s).
Also compared with other TOTL cans, flow showed a few weaknesses. To my ears, Utopia (matched with Dave) had slightly better stereo imaging ability. And I felt SR009 (matched with BHSE) sounded a bit cleaner.

Perhaps such things can be improved by matching more synergetic gears, which might be my next steps with flow.

Anyway, I think that flow open is almost perfect for me :)

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,478 of 5,796

Well, not very serious indeed. No single headphones are perfect, aren't they
biggrin.gif

To my ears, flow is a little bright. This is not bad at all, but very few tracks revealed some hint of sibilance (but much less so than hd800s).
Also compared with other TOTL cans, flow showed a few weaknesses. To my ears, Utopia (matched with Dave) had slightly better stereo imaging ability. And I felt SR009 (matched with BHSE) sounded a bit cleaner.

Perhaps such things can be improved by matching more synergetic gears, which might be my next steps with flow.

Anyway, I think that flow open is almost perfect for me :)

What about dynamic punch? Is it better with Ether Flow? Compared to HD800S, I found that my Ether C lacks dynamic punch quite a lot, which is pretty much noticeable when I listened to classical music.

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,479 of 5,796
  What about dynamic punch? Is it better with Ether Flow? Compared to HD800S, I found that my Ether C lacks dynamic punch quite a lot, which is pretty much noticeable when I listened to classical music.

Good point. Although I cannot AB flow and ether c, ether flow showed me very satisfying macroscopic dynamics and impacts now.

One tricky thing here is that dynamics was rather disappointing when just out of the box. As hours and days go, break ins seem to work to improve dynamics. Moreover, I also found dynamics are a bit differently presented in flow, which I have be accustomed to. Anyway I don't have any critical disappointment for dynamics, even after ABing with hd800s.

But I think Elear is a bit better in delivering dynamics, and flow is also slightly behind Utopia.

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,480 of 5,796

Agreed the Ether C lacks dynamics. Listening to Fleetwood Mac - Rumours album right now for the first time just now and I have to say this is INSANELY good. Instruments lack maybe tiny bit of meat and macro dynamics but oh my dear god... Everything is so seperated, transparent, clear and natural.

I remember my first time of hearing the Ether C and I was like "Oh my god this sounds so holographic." Now I think that is due to the way the Ether C presents dynamics. Lacks that maximum 0 and 100% but the dynamics in between are very good!

EQing a little sub bass in improves the dynamic impact nicely if you are willing to do that.

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,481 of 5,796

I had the Ether Flow for about 2 weeks now, I can't compare directly to hd800s, but the dynamic is very good way better than the ETHER, definitely a big upgrade in this department.
idk about the C though

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2,482 of 5,796
Looking for those who choose the  Ether C to Ether C Flow conversion. I need to maintain the isolation as that as why I went this route to begin with. What ya hearing?

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #2,484 of 5,796
Same here!

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2,485 of 5,796
Looking for those who choose the  Ether C to Ether C Flow conversion. I need to maintain the isolation as that as why I went this route to begin with. What ya hearing?

Haven't read a complaint.

They're in here. Just scan back over the pages.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #2,487 of 5,796
Same isolation since the cups are the same with different pattern and the pads seal the same way.

Plus you don't even have to change the cups during the upgrade if you don't want to...

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,488 of 5,796
I'm just wondering why on the inner fidelity site the ether flow is in the category ear pad open, whereas the Elear or the Utopia is in category full size open? Isn't the ether over ear? I don't want them when they're sitting on my ears..

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,489 of 5,796
Inner Fidelity isn't the end all be all source of headphone information. I wouldn't look too much into how they decide to categorize things.

Trust me the Ether is a full size over ear headphone... period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back