MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 25, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #2,492 of 5,796
My Either Flows have about 120 hours on them and I am enjoying them a lot. They tick a lot of boxes. The only issue I have is that the tonality is somewhat bright to my ears. I think this headphones needs careful pairing (unless you are a treble head).

Interesting that Tyll is using a 430HA - that is quite a warm amp IMHO - much warmer than the other amps I have owned (Aurlaic Taurus and V281).

Is anyone pairing this headphone with an Auralic Taurus or GS-X Mk2? I would struggle to see that pairing working well.

Very interested in what others think on this (Ether Flow being a little bright).

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,494 of 5,796
  My Either Flows have about 120 hours on them and I am enjoying them a lot. They tick a lot of boxes. The only issue I have is that the tonality is somewhat bright to my ears. I think this headphones needs careful pairing (unless you are a treble head).

Interesting that Tyll is using a 430HA - that is quite a warm amp IMHO - much warmer than the other amps I have owned (Aurlaic Taurus and V281).

Is anyone pairing this headphone with an Auralic Taurus or GS-X Mk2? I would struggle to see that pairing working well.

Very interested in what others think on this (Ether Flow being a little bright).

My home rig is MacPro - JRMC22 - GMB - Bryston BHA-1 - Wywires Platinum - Ether Flow.  I don't think the Flow sound overly bright with this rig.  I actually enjoy the SQ more with the Bryston in high gain mode.  But then, I also enjoy the HD800 paired with the GMB and BHA-1, so perhaps I am more of a treble head?  However, the Ether Flow have more/balanced bass than to the HD800.

FWIW,
RCBinTN

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,496 of 5,796

I'm using LC and definitely isn't bright to me, I think this is because the LC has characters to tone down the treble slightly, I have never auditioned the gsx but the taurus is definitely bright, so I would not pair it with ETHER Flow.

mine is quite bright out of the box(even with LC), idk how long i've been using it (like every day, might as well pass 200 hours), but after a while, the treble settles down and becomes smoother.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,498 of 5,796
Can someone tell about pairing QP1R with ether flow considering this brightness topic?

I don't see the Ether Flow as a bright headphone but I could see how some may feel that way about it. I find that the Flow is, similar to the Ether that spawned it, transparent and when used with a brighter system will have a brighter tonality. If you have a warmer setup then the Flow will express that in the presentation. The Ether Flow + QP1R is one of my combos and I think the two pair exceptionally well. It's my experience that the amp in the QP1R works well for most planars.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #2,499 of 5,796
Thanks for those replies - appreciated.

I think I need to give my Ether Flows some more hours - only about 120 at the moment - and see how the treble works out @ 200+ hours. Might settle down on its own.

Not a show stopper in any case - I have other amp options that will warm up the sound - just curious on the experience of others.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #2,500 of 5,796
I don't see the Ether Flow as a bright headphone but I could see how some may feel that way about it. I find that the Flow is, similar to the Ether that spawned it, transparent and when used with a brighter system will have a brighter tonality. If you have a warmer setup then the Flow will express that in the presentation. The Ether Flow + QP1R is one of my combos and I think the two pair exceptionally well. It's my experience that the amp in the QP1R works well for most planars.

Thanks Axel, good to hear that. I really think this combo is what could suit my wish for an headphone open with the QP1R.
I just need to get a listen to them, before I take the plunge. Until now, no one has them for auditioning in Swiss. One seller has them, but not in showroom. I have to get in contact with them

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,501 of 5,796
I don't find my Ether Flows particularly bright with my Schiit Gumby/Mjo2 (iFi NOS 6922) stack. Significantly less bright than the Hifiman HE-400i they replaced and the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 I still own if that helps for comparison. The Ether Flows do however have some very satisfying bass 
L3000.gif

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,502 of 5,796
Thanks for those replies - appreciated.

I think I need to give my Ether Flows some more hours - only about 120 at the moment - and see how the treble works out @ 200+ hours. Might settle down on its own.

Not a show stopper in any case - I have other amp options that will warm up the sound - just curious on the experience of others.
My Ether C's took about 200 to calm down to me.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #2,503 of 5,796
I don't find my Ether Flows particularly bright with my Schiit Gumby/Mjo2 (iFi NOS 6922) stack. Significantly less bright than the Hifiman HE-400i they replaced and the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 I still own if that helps for comparison. The Ether Flows do however have some very satisfying bass :L3000:

Satisfying bass is what I like to hear most! How about that, axelcloris and others, when paired with QP1R?

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #2,504 of 5,796
  I don't find my Ether Flows particularly bright with my Schiit Gumby/Mjo2 (iFi NOS 6922) stack. Significantly less bright than the Hifiman HE-400i they replaced and the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 I still own if that helps for comparison. The Ether Flows do however have some very satisfying bass 
L3000.gif

+1 on the Flow bass. It doesn't extend quite as far down as the modded HE6, but the bass is very satisfying. Impactful and controlled - very nice.

Good to know on the brightness. I think more hours will help my situation. Have not passed the 200 hour milestone yet.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #2,505 of 5,796
Not sure how many hours mine have on them to be honest, got them about a month ago and I use them every day for at least a few hours so probably a fair bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back