MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Aug 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,531 of 5,796
I've been considering picking up the QP1R for use with Ether Flow, would sticking with AK300 be a good idea or do you feel the SQ is worth the usage frustrations?
Haven't heard the AK 3xx's but for the rest of the line it really kills them. IMO.

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,533 of 5,796
  I listened to the ether flow and flow-c at London Canjam. The most wonderful sounding headphones at the show (except stax sr009). Absolutely loved and slightly preferred the open version but i think i will need the closed for the office environment. Im a bit confused regarding the ether C in retrospect...when i listened I found the subbass to be slightly overpowering - did anyone else feel this? Now I did pick a track with strong subbass (Hay Now by London Grammer)...maybe other normal tracks would fair better and present no problems. I have no idea how burnt in the unit I was listening to was. And I think it was at the end of the day - ear/brain burn possibly. .... wanted to raise my thoughts for anyone's comments.  cheers

I found that the sub-bass was somewhat dominating and disconnected from the midrange when I got mine, but they've balanced very nicely as they were broken in (at 150h of constant play now).

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,534 of 5,796
Anyone who has spent some time with the Ether C Flow ... have you sampled it with some seriously heavy lower octave continuous tones (not drum thump transients, but synthesizer generated notes). I'm talking like some of those songs from Synergy's first album's loud & low tones.

If so, does the Ether C Flow hold up tight and clear with that, sans 'flubby bass'? Thanx!

Btw, if anyone had the pleasure to listen to tracks with loud super low continuous tones with either or both open and closed variants, please compare and contrast the two.

Not those tracks, but some of the jazz I listen to has a lot of double bass, and some has electric bass notes from various electric keyboards and bass electric guitar. Really happy with how they come through compared with my Alpha Primes and even with some live performances. One good example, actually, is what I was listening to just now, "Petits Machins" from Miles Davis's "Filles de Kilimanjaro," with both Herbie Hancock (Rhodes piano) and Ron Carter (electric bass) producing sustained low notes.

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,535 of 5,796
I found that the sub-bass was somewhat dominating and disconnected from the midrange when I got mine, but they've balanced very nicely as they were broken in (at 150h of constant play now).
Did the high freqs stay the same? Just trying to decide on upgrade to Open or stay closed. The set I listened to were not burned in and was wondering if the highs got any better . I just love the highs on the 1.1 C's and would hate to loose that.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,536 of 5,796
Did the high freqs stay the same? Just trying to decide on upgrade to Open or stay closed. The set I listened to were not burned in and was wondering if the highs got any better . I just love the highs on the 1.1 C's and would hate to loose that.

Highs got clearer (they were a bit mushy and subdued originally), although there could be some listener adaptation too. I listen to a lot of jazz, and cymbals, higher piano and trumpet notes are coming through really well. Just listening to Don Cherry's trumpet, which goes pretty high, with Ed Blackwell's super-light cymbals in "Elephantasy" from the "Perfect Communion" album, I love how their higher notes float above the double bass and kick drum.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #1,538 of 5,796
Highs got clearer (they were a bit mushy and subdued originally), although there could be some listener adaptation too. I listen to a lot of jazz, and cymbals, higher piano and trumpet notes are coming through really well. Just listening to Don Cherry's trumpet, which goes pretty high, with Ed Blackwell's super-light cymbals in "Elephantasy" from the "Perfect Communion" album, I love how their higher notes float above the double bass and kick drum.
A bit mushy is what I heard but not the brightness of the 1.1's. I think I'm going to have to hear a burned in pair to make my decision . Still I liked the opens a lot. Thanks for your comments just wish you had heard the originals for a bit better comparison . I just don't know now . The pair I listened to were just so treble light. Not that I'm a treble head just too rolled off for me. These two were so different .

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,540 of 5,796
A bit mushy is what I heard but not the brightness of the 1.1's. I think I'm going to have to hear a burned in pair to make my decision . Still I liked the opens a lot. Thanks for your comments just wish you had heard the originals for a bit better comparison . I just don't know now . The pair I listened to were just so treble light. Not that I'm a treble head just too rolled off for me. These two were so different .

I might go for the open Flow from the C 1.1s since these don't have the physicality or the sense of being there that you can get from open headphones. I figure going from HD600 to Ether Flow would be a ridiculously big upgrade (and even from C 1.1 to open flow) But not sure yet since I really love isolation and I love my C's... argh First world problems 
redface.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #1,541 of 5,796

Not treble-light for me after 150h, just nicely well balanced from low to high. But I'm no spring chicken, so dog whistle frequencies are definitely beyond my hearing 
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #1,542 of 5,796
CS4398 crosstalk measurements arent very good.. i think it's a chip better used in dual mono for that reason..

Also i wish for a spdif input.. if not it's kinda sad
Why would a Dap need a spdif input or any input for that matter it is the input? You just need to put the music on it.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #1,545 of 5,796

Yes, they are exactly what I remembered them being at the Chicago meet last week :D 

I wrote some thought on Reddit... will revise that mini review over the next few days and update everyone here.. One think I will say though, these are supper dynamic!

You mentioned the bass hits harder than the LCD-X?  That's amazing.  I've been listening to the Inception Sountrack with the LCD-X and the bass makes it downright emotive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back