MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 22, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #436 of 5,796
How about a black case for the Flows =) ???

I actually saw that it came with a new case when i was listening to it. Similar colour but the material was slightly different. But im not a huge torch bearer for case-fi so i left it at that.

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #439 of 5,796
I see you own the HD800. Could you make any comments comparing the two?

Ether Flow is better. 
biggrin.gif
  How's that? 

Hd800 improves considerably on a good amp and EQ. And in fact, I do enjoy it quite a bit. But...Ether (original) was already a more musical headphone than the 800. Now with Flow bringing better imaging and staging, better dynamics and that startling quickness/decay the game has changed a bit, a good bit. 

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #440 of 5,796
I quote this post only as it is representative of many. I question this conclusion so many have made.

What you see here appears to me to be two graphs that have been normalized at 1K. Is that fact?

I'll hold judgement until I see both given a 1K tone and spl measured & compared. If the two are equal, then this overlay is valid.

My guess is the spl of the two will be equal at a different frequency; say 2k or 3k instead. Thus closer in the mid bass, and most of the treble region than this overlay implies ... which would move the black line up and move the low bass of the C a good deal higher relative to the open back. There is just way too much of the C's graph below the open back graph for me to believe that is accurate.

Another way to look at it is if you give the Ether C Flow a little more juice, it gives me more of everything I love, a bit of a'W' response.

Me? If given the chance I think I will jump at trading in my Ether 1.0 for an Ether C Flow. ... I'd just like it to remain red.
wink.gif

I just want to point out that I've heard both headphones extensively so my conclusions aren't based on the graphs, they're based on what I heard.  The graphs just offer a nice way to illustrate the relative differences in FR.  A picture is worth 1000 words and who here wants to read 1000 words?  
tongue.gif

I will be very keen on the C flow.

I will be interested in the C Flow if it is as airy as the Open v1.1. I have seriously wanted to add an Ether in Feb CanJam Singapore. The 1.1 open can is great while the closed can was too dark for my taste. I need a closed can for some isolation on some days. 

Color me confused.  "Airy" has to do with upper treble extension.  The Ether C 1.1 had more of that than the laid-back Ether 1.1.  The closed Ether was a much brighter can and I don't know that anyone that called it "dark".

Ether Flow is better. 
biggrin.gif
  How's that? 

Hd800 improves considerably on a good amp and EQ. And in fact, I do enjoy it quite a bit. But...Ether (original) was already a more musical headphone than the 800. Now with Flow bringing better imaging and staging, better dynamics and that startling quickness/decay the game has changed a bit, a good bit. 

I don't know that I'd call the Ether Flow unequivocally better than the HD800.  I need to A/B them directly rather than from memory but I think they have different presentations that will appeal to different folks.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #441 of 5,796
After enjoying both the new Flow and C Flow at the recent SF meet I put in an order for C Flow. They will complement my existing HEKs

I agree with Jude's earlier statement that the HEKs are probably better than both on pure technical merits the new Flows demonstrate a fun and passion I do sometimes find missing from the HEKs. Of particular note I found that the new cans were very bassy while completely maintaining the musicality of instruments like a double base or cello. For reference most of the listening I did at the meet was on a Liquid Gold sourced from an AK380.

Some more observations are that they are extremely comfortable, I've always thought that my friends ether 1.1s were more comfy than my HEKs.

To the point about the HD800 I found the flows to be a significant jump up in in imaging, impacfulness, transparency and overall clarity. My opinion obviously so YMMV.

I very much look forward to spending more time with the C Flows when mine arrive.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #442 of 5,796
Hoping the upgrade will be reasonable.

My expectation would be the difference in MSRP between the C and the C flow.. maybe a little more.

Eagerly awaiting the upgrade plan details :D

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #443 of 5,796

Color me confused.  "Airy" has to do with upper treble extension.  The Ether C 1.1 had more of that than the laid-back Ether 1.1.  The closed Ether was a much brighter can and I don't know that anyone that called it "dark".

Sorry for confusion. Checked me notes from Can Jam comparing the Ether C and Ether 1.1 with Schiit Ygg/Rag - didn't like the closed because of weak bass and smaller soundstage compared to open. Don't ask me why I wrote "airy" and "dark" there. Just an impression I guess. 
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #444 of 5,796
  I will be very keen on the C flow.

I will be interested in the C Flow if it is as airy as the Open v1.1. I have seriously wanted to add an Ether in Feb CanJam Singapore. The 1.1 open can is great while the closed can was too dark for my taste. I need a closed can for some isolation on some days. 

Sorry for confusion. Checked me notes from Can Jam comparing the Ether C and Ether 1.1 with Schiit Ygg/Rag - didn't like the closed because of weak bass and smaller soundstage compared to open. Don't ask me why I wrote "airy" and "dark" there. Just an impression I guess. 
tongue.gif

Okay that makes sense.  So translating your original post... you hope the C Flow will be a bit more open and it was a bit too bright before.  I think both of those things are improved with the C Flow.  I don't know if it will be enough for you or not, but the improvements are there.

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #445 of 5,796
Has the Ether Flow begun shipping,
Or is it same ETA as the website ?
Whats the status?

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #447 of 5,796
@stillhart I would say that indeed ether flow is better across the board than the hd800. Unless you are a classical music nut or put expansive sound staging ahead of all else then I find the flow to be better across the board. But even the sound stage gap is now closer on these two headphones. I'm not sure how much time my hd800 will get. If it starts collecting dust then I'll have to put it on the chopping block.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #448 of 5,796
@stillhart I would say that indeed ether flow is better across the board than the hd800. Unless you are a classical music nut or put expansive sound staging ahead of all else then I find the flow to be better across the board. But even the sound stage gap is now closer on these two headphones. I'm not sure how much time my hd800 will get. If it starts collecting dust then I'll have to put it on the chopping block.

Dang, well I'm going to have to put them head to head, I guess!

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #449 of 5,796

Please stop, I can only salivate so much. Hopefully I'll be getting some head time with the Flow soon.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #450 of 5,796
You really think it will be that much? The Ethers are like $1500 and the Flow is $1800 isn't it? If that were the case you'd be better off just selling the Ether and buying the Flow, I was thinking more in the range of what Audeze charged for the Fazor Driver upgrade, which if I remember correctly was about $250. Anything over $300 and I would be disappointed TBH.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back