MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 29, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #631 of 5,796
Am I the only one who uses a re-shipper? Send it to an address in the US, and they'll gladly remove all invoices etc. for like $3.00 before sending it along to you wherever you are in the world. 

I've had certain companies declare a lower price to prevent/lower import taxes when buying internationally but isn't that a little risky when it comes to something as pricey as $1700 headphones? I mean I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to the ins and outs but say the package is lost or the product arrives damaged isn't the insurance money you potentially get back based off of the price declared when it was sent out? I know this hardly ever happens nowadays, I've ordered hundreds of things on the internet over the years and I've not had a package get lost yet but still, wouldn't particularly wanna gamble on 2 grand.

Plus, does it not depend on the country? I've had friends tell me that even though there was no price declared on the package they got sent containing headphones, an amp or what have you customs has sent them a request for payment confirmation/receipt in order to release the item and/or have had their own staff procure the retail price of the item inside. I suppose this may not be the case everywhere.

PS: Apologies for the OT.

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #632 of 5,796

I've had certain companies declare a lower price to prevent/lower import taxes when buying internationally but isn't that a little risky when it comes to something as pricey as $1700 headphones? I mean I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to the ins and outs but say the package is lost or the product arrives damaged isn't the insurance money you potentially get back based off of the price declared when it was sent out? I know this hardly ever happens nowadays, I've ordered hundreds of things on the internet over the years and I've not had a package get lost yet but still, wouldn't particularly wanna gamble on 2 grand.

Plus, does it not depend on the country? I've had friends tell me that even though there was no price declared on the package they got sent containing headphones, an amp or what have you customs has sent them a request for payment confirmation/receipt in order to release the item and/or have had their own staff procure the retail price of the item inside. I suppose this may not be the case everywhere.

PS: Apologies for the OT.

Yes, if you insure the package for more than you declare that is a red flag for customs, but it does depend on country. The US uses a schedule for certain items if they find a discrepancy, but there are headphones that cost less than $10 so the risk is low. In most cases they will just make you pay the import fees with a possible fine, as long as a shipping agent is tracking the package. Otherwise it will be held indefinitely as customs won't contact anyone.

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #634 of 5,796
I am in for the full upgrade (Ether C 1.1 now). I just hope I can grab one of those 40 spots.....

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 29, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #639 of 5,796
Dan,

Can you post those "crappy" pics of the new Flow C ear cups mounted on the headphones?  Also, is it possible to ask for the full upgrade without swapping the carbon fiber cups?  I'm kind of partial to the angled weave pattern of the regular Ether C but still want to get the rest of the full upgrade package.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #640 of 5,796
  Here is Ether C and Ether C Flows frequency responses overlayed. 

[...]

Just FYI, you cannot overlay graphs from two different measurements systems and get anything meaningful. Different systems will respond differently due to the shape of the "head" and how much the pads seal and compress, how the different measuring microphones perform, the different frequency response of the measuring "ear", the different surrounding "box", and will also be using different compensation curves.  I just wanted to point this out as I'm not sure many people know that headphone measurements are far from an exact science.  
smile.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #641 of 5,796

Just FYI, you cannot overlay graphs from two different measurements systems and get anything meaningful. Different systems will respond differently due to the shape of the "head" and how much the pads seal and compress, how the different measuring microphones perform, the different frequency response of the measuring "ear", the different surrounding "box", and will also be using different compensation curves.  I just wanted to point this out as I'm not sure many people know that headphone measurements are far from an exact science.  
smile.gif

That's why I said "I KNOW this probably doesn't mean much since they are 2 different measurements from possibly 2 different pieces of equipment."

and

"Hopefully someone can do a proper graph but anyway maybe this will give at least some idea of the differences in frequency response of the two."

...but thanks.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #642 of 5,796

smile.gif

That's why I said "I KNOW this probably doesn't mean much since they are 2 different measurements from possibly 2 different pieces of equipment."

and

"Hopefully someone can do a proper graph but anyway maybe this will give at least some idea of the differences in frequency response of the two."

...but thanks.

No worries, sorry if that came off the wrong way. I recall Jude posting that he would re-do his measurements with both the original and the Flow version once he had his new head in place (the one in his measuring cabinet, not the one on his neck). 
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #643 of 5,796

No worries, sorry if that came off the wrong way. I recall Jude posting that he would re-do his measurements with both the original and the Flow version once he had his new head in place (the one in his measuring cabinet, not the one on his neck). 
wink_face.gif

Your fine :) Yeah looking forward to those measurements from him and also more of his impressions on the C Flow since he didn't have enough time with them for the 1st post.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #644 of 5,796

I'm not Dan nor do I work with customs but I have dealt with similar situations in the past and after extensive contact with the imports office at our airport I managed to void the 28% VAT (24% in my case) by writing the packages off as a repair - I've done this with a couple amps/DACs mostly and what I was required to do was show that I actually own the item, which is under warranty, and that I've already paid VAT for it to get into the EU in the first place. If anything you'll then be taxed based off of the shipping costs if it exceeds your country's threshold (which in my case is roughly $40).

Now you're living in a different country and your purchase was through custom-cable rather than MrSpeaker directly so it may be much harder to get customs to comply, if possible at all, but maybe it's worth a shot - 28% of $500 is still a relevant amount.

OT: mmm......similar thing for me when I sent back to Georgia, U.S.A. (from Manila)  my Zeus XIV for remastering. I did not declare any amount except that it is for repair (which it was essentially). I got it back and the taxes and duties I paid were minimal. I will  do the same when I get my chance to send both my Ethers. It does not make sense to declare full or near-full  value and then repay taxes and duties (double taxation), BUT I took the USD 2,000.00 risk because Fedex will only pay up to USD100.00 in case of package loss. YMMV.

However, for an international customer, cost of upgrade plus  Fedex shipping to/from U.S.A. and some taxes/duties, it may make more financial sense to just sell the old Ethers (and take a sizeable loss) and then purchase the Ether Flows BUT no risk of loss. Have to talk to my Mr. Speakers dealer here......

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #645 of 5,796
So it appears the Ether/C Flow is available for purchase new, the first lot at least.

When will the upgrade kit be made available for the Ether C to convert to an Ether C Flow Basic or Full out Conversion?

Anybody know?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back