MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Nov 29, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,806 of 5,796
I'm curious about the length of the stock 4 pin XLR cable? I know MrSpeakers has a 10' cable option but I am considering an even longer cable for when I listen from the seat I normally use for speaker listening. What is the effective limit for a headphone cable? I would need to go somewhere between 15 and 20 feet to get the job done...

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2,807 of 5,796
  I'm curious about the length of the stock 4 pin XLR cable? I know MrSpeakers has a 10' cable option but I am considering an even longer cable for when I listen from the seat I normally use for speaker listening. What is the effective limit for a headphone cable? I would need to go somewhere between 15 and 20 feet to get the job done...

See this pic.

You can see that the HP end is a standard Mr Speakers cable and then the amp end is a XLR extender.

One of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Audeze-AKG-extension-cable-4-pin-XLR-M-to-4-pin-XLR-F-Van-Damme-/131998386716?var=&hash=item1ebbb78a1c

I actually used two 4 meter ones chained together. It allows me to walk my whole home theater room. Very handy. Never heard any quality loss. Works fine on both the SS and tube amps.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,809 of 5,796
If you don't need a closed headphone and you game a lot then I would go with open. I went with closed because I hate how open headphones sound like mini speakers since they leak so much and I listen to a lot of electronica/dance. Also I absolutely love how they have carbon fiber on them.

For gaming and metal though im sure the Flow would be better for you but I'm only guessing since mine come in a couple of days from now.

I'm sure someone here can confirm/deny this.

As a gamer (when my schedule allows) and owner of the Ether C Flows, I would encourage prospective buyers who also intend to game with these to consider not only the soundstage but also the low end response. I love the closed cans for a variety of reasons, but the bass and sub bass response is very immersive for gaming. Additionally, the soundstage on the closed variant is no slouch. I can't compare directly to the open mode, but the C isn't far off my K702 Anniversary edition in terms of soundstage and the imaging is way cleaner, and this provides a very spacious sound.

In my opinion, let your need, or lack thereof, for the closed back and musical taste drive your decision over the gaming soundstage difference.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,810 of 5,796
The mr speakers website has them for the same price. It's a holiday promo. Just get them there instead of the link you provided

I've had a look just a couple of minutes ago and they are at their retail price, that is 1850 bucks for the 4pin xlr 10 feet cable version...

Thanks anyway 
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2,812 of 5,796
This has probably already been covered, apologies. Could someone please point me to a comparison response graph, ETHER C vs ETHER C FLOW.

Thanks

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,813 of 5,796
As a gamer (when my schedule allows) and owner of the Ether C Flows, I would encourage prospective buyers who also intend to game with these to consider not only the soundstage but also the low end response. I love the closed cans for a variety of reasons, but the bass and sub bass response is very immersive for gaming. Additionally, the soundstage on the closed variant is no slouch. I can't compare directly to the open mode, but the C isn't far off my K702 Anniversary edition in terms of soundstage and the imaging is way cleaner, and this provides a very spacious sound.

In my opinion, let your need, or lack thereof, for the closed back and musical taste drive your decision over the gaming soundstage difference.

I would much rather have closed back cans due to their ability to block out background noise and as you mentioned in most cases provide a more immersive bass and sub bass. I love my bass but hate muddy bass...

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #2,814 of 5,796
  have anyone tried aftermarket cable on the ether flow?

I'm looking to increase the mids(quantity, or make it a little more forward) a bit, me being a mid-head and all, I just want to try it. LOL

I checked mine after reading your comment, actually, mine is a bit like that too, although the difference is not extreme, it is puffier on one side.
here are some photos:

can anyone comment on this? thx

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #2,816 of 5,796
  have anyone tried aftermarket cable on the ether flow?

I'm looking to increase the mids(quantity, or make it a little more forward) a bit, me being a mid-head and all, I just want to try it. LOL

I have the Wywires Platinum cable for the Ether Flow.  It blows away the DUM cable.  Better overall SQ, more reference (meaning linear) sound and especially with the midrange which is significantly better.  The mid/treble are really opened up.

The Platinum cable is somewhat expensive, so I would suggest to also consider the Wywires Red cable.  I haven't heard the Red with the Flow myself, but I use Red cables on my LCD-X and HD800.  They sound great.  Just give Alex a call at Wywires and he will fill in the details.  Alex prefers a personal consultation before he makes cables for a new customer.

http://www.wywires.com/headphone-cables/

Hope this helps, YMMV,
RCBinTN

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2,817 of 5,796

I have the Wywires Platinum cable for the Ether Flow.  It blows away the DUM cable.  Better overall SQ, more reference (meaning linear) sound and especially with the midrange which is significantly better.  The mid/treble are really opened up.

The Platinum cable is somewhat expensive, so I would suggest to also consider the Wywires Red cable.  I haven't heard the Red with the Flow myself, but I use Red cables on my LCD-X and HD800.  They sound great.  Just give Alex a call at Wywires and he will fill in the details.  Alex prefers a personal consultation before he makes cables for a new customer.

http://www.wywires.com/headphone-cables/

Hope this helps, YMMV,
RCBinTN

thx man, I'm gonna do some research on that cable before that. ^_^

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #2,818 of 5,796
This has probably already been covered, apologies. Could someone please point me to a comparison response graph, ETHER C vs ETHER C FLOW.

Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/814156/mrspeakers-ether-flow-and-ether-c-flow-inspired-by-electrostatic-headphones#post_12721410

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #2,819 of 5,796

Thanks

or as just posted not long ago... scroll down to Mr. Speakers at
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-update-november-2016#TxVQORTiRHU3FhJq.97

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2,820 of 5,796

This was me last night.
biggrin.gif
Trying every bloody thing I had. Trying every feature. It was war.

I tried these things: Filters on the Vega DAC, volume control, gain control, sensitivity control, then finally different HP's.

Flow came out on top.

My winning combo was Vega filter 3 > V281 > Flow. Just awesome stuff.

It surprised me Flow was best on solid state. It sounded nice on tubes but definitely better on solid state.

It was great fun and I absolutely adore the Flow sound. Better than I expected. For some reason I was scared of the Flow's treble before I got a pair. I didn't need to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back