MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 23, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,146 of 5,796
I have a preference for the Mojo as a standalone unit.  Better bass and a more fleshed out feel to the music.  The Hugo worked awesomely well as a DAC, but I felt the amp section was weak and the overall sound was thin to my ear.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 23, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,147 of 5,796
  I have a preference for the Mojo as a standalone unit.  Better bass and a more fleshed out feel to the music.  The Hugo worked awesomely well as a DAC, but I felt the amp section was weak and the overall sound was thin to my ear.

You do know they use the same amp section as stated by Chord in their own thread multiple times...

P.S sorry for sounding like a complete d**k just got home from work and my brain isn't functioning properly at the moment 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #2,148 of 5,796

You do know they use the same amp section as stated by Chord in their own thread multiple times...

P.S sorry for sounding like a complete d**k just got home from work and my brain isn't functioning properly at the moment 
rolleyes.gif

I do know.  As soon as I heard the Mojo I noticed the bass improvement with ETHER and asked Rob why an identical amp would sound different.  He gave an answer that made perfect sense but as I don't know if the answer is public, you can take my word for it (or not).  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,149 of 5,796

This captures my feelings pretty well. I love the Mojo. Great with my phone and my AK100ii. Not bad feeding the liquid crimson, but I just don't do that. I still give it a "very nice" as dac, and at least that as a portable dac/amp. That is still very high praise to me. I've stopped looking for another portable solution. I actually run my AK100ii into the Mojo and then into my Peachtree Nova speaker rig. I like the result better than the ESS chip in the Nova.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,150 of 5,796

I do know.  As soon as I heard the Mojo I noticed the bass improvement with ETHER and asked Rob why an identical amp would sound different.  He gave an answer that made perfect sense but as I don't know if the answer is public, you can take my word for it (or not).  

I believe I've read that these drive headphones directly off of the FPGA output. There is no amp section, which is why they have such a tremendous SNR. Given that, perhaps they both deliver different amounts of power (if voltage is the same, then current) off of the FPGA. It's just a wild guess.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #2,151 of 5,796

I believe I've read that these drive headphones directly off of the FPGA output. There is no amp section, which is why they have such a tremendous SNR. Given that, perhaps they both deliver different amounts of power (if voltage is the same, then current) off of the FPGA. It's just a wild guess.

I won't respond as it's not appropriate for me to talk about their technology, which is a discussion that is OT here anyhow, what matters is the sound differs when paired with the ETHERs.

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2,152 of 5,796
Dan - Any updates on the approach for Flow upgrades for those of us not lucky enough to be in the "40"? Cheers

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #2,153 of 5,796
I am intrigued now, will throw Chord an email and see what they say... Anyway no more OT. Bad me!

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,154 of 5,796
My personal opinion is that the Mojo is damn good for the price but compared to my Bimby/Lyr2(iFi NOS 6922) it lacks a spaciouse soundstage,clarity and instrumental separation but when you consider that the latter is double the price I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

Hi,
To clarify, were you comparing the mojo alone to the Schiit DAC/Amp combo, or substituting the mojo for the Schitt DAC (still using the Schitt amp)?

I wouldn't be a fair comparison otherwise. FWIW, I find usage with a separate amp makes a huge difference regarding sound stage.

I am currently evaluating the ether flows with a Woo Audio WA7, Schitt Lyr 2, and Aideze Deckard. In all cases, using the mojo as DAC.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #2,155 of 5,796
/OT

There is only the critical I/V conversion output stage in the Mojo, like all DACs' line out, and that's it. There is no other output/amp stage. The volume is controlled digitally and the 'line-out mode' is simply a setting for 3V level volume output. Changing volume doesn't engage or disengage any hardware. Basically the Chord DACs are much more like full time variable line-out DACs capable of driving headphones than they are DAC/amp combos.

/OT

The Flow sounds good from the Mojo. Really good IMO. I personally don't want soundstage to be added by any hardware upstream if it's not in the recording. I find the Mojo is good at not adding extra soundstage perception to the mix. YMMV.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2,156 of 5,796

Do you prefer mojo over the ak240?

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,157 of 5,796
/OT

There is only the critical I/V conversion output stage in the Mojo, like all DACs' line out, and that's it. There is no other output/amp stage. The volume is controlled digitally and the 'line-out mode' is simply a setting for 3V level volume output. Changing volume doesn't engage or disengage any hardware. Basically the Chord DACs are much more like full time variable line-out DACs capable of driving headphones than they are DAC/amp combos.

/OT

The Flow sounds good from the Mojo. Really good IMO. I personally don't want soundstage to be added by any hardware upstream if it's not in the recording. I find the Mojo is good at not adding extra soundstage perception to the mix. YMMV.
Just curious how do you know what the soundstage should be?

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #2,158 of 5,796
Evaluating the Ether Flow and the LCD 2F.  This is really tough.  Not done, but here are a few impressions.  As I read this post back to myself, I get the feeling my opinion won't change over time.  Its more of a question of which I ultimately prefer to listen to.

Overall:  The Ether has more presence (especially in the upper frequency range), but the the LCD sounds less like a "headphone". 

Sound Stage and Separation: the stage of the Ether feels like its right around the front of my head (semi-circle), while the LCD's are 6 inches out (same semi-circle).  The LCDs have more instrument separation.  I haven't figured out which way I like it better.  By way of analogy, with the LCD's each instrument is in a particular location in space, while with the Ether, all instruments are on a stage in front of you, blending into one another somewhat.

Depth:  There is no denying that the bass of the LCD is a big deal.  It's not about thumping beats, it's about contributing to a more realistic recreation of the sound of real voices and instruments.  For example, the raspy voice of Norah Jones, or the sound of the Bass instrument on a Harry Connick, Jr. album.

Refinement vs. Balance: I do feel that the sound produced by the LCD is more articulate and refined overall, but the music is a bit more balanced across the full frequency range on the Ether which makes the Ether feel a little more upbeat at times.  The LCD drivers seem to be capable of greater dynamic range.  The positive of that is that you get a life-like experience (for example, when a singer goes from quiet singing to powerful singing).  The negative, is just like being at a live show, the substantial increase in sound volume during various parts of a song can be tougher on the ears.  Contrast this with the Ether, less fatigue as the dynamic range seems to be more compressed and so the volume doesn't vary as much when going from quiet to powerful during a given song (or even within a given word depending on how the singer sings it). 

Physical comfort: LCD pads are more comfortable (including the distance from the ear and clamp pressure).  The Ether headband is way more comfortable.  In general, the Ether is a very impressive and precise physical design.

Effect of Amps: changing the amps doesn't magically help or hurt one headphone vs. the other.  The impact of an AMP is consistent across both the Ether and LCD.   Specifically, the Woo is wonderfully smooth but takes away a bit of the bite of some instruments (I think its better for vocals, not so much for instruments).  The Lyr and Deckard are somewhat similar and have more bite than the Woo.

Note: DAC = Mojo; AMPs (Woo WA7 upgraded tubes; Schiit Lyr 2 with tubes; Audeze Deckard);  MUSIC: De La Soul: the Anonymous Nobody; Norah Jones; Harry Connick Jr., Louis Armstrong; Strunz & Farah; Steve Wonder, Macy Gray: Stripped.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #2,159 of 5,796
Just curious how do you know what the soundstage should be?

Because if I hear a wide soundstage on a close mic'd room treated studio recording or overly produced song then it seems off to me. For example, Norah Jones is usually produced flat as a pancake. Then there is classical or binaural recordings in a church that just pop with soundstage.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #2,160 of 5,796
  Dan - Any updates on the approach for Flow upgrades for those of us not lucky enough to be in the "40"? Cheers

I am curious about an update for those of us who were NOT part of the 40.  Are we to be taken care of?  I have to say as an Ether owner, I am not a happy camper not knowing if my product can be upgraded to the latest model, while I know that it can be, and is being done currently for others...  Just maybe not available for me...  
Yes, I realize it is a fine headphone as is, but the OCD side of me just likes to have the current model of most things I buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back