MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 24, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #2,176 of 5,796
If I'm not mistaken, there was another guy with the same problem(1 earpad is more worn out than the other), just contact mrspeaker and I think they will probably send you a new earpad to fix it.
You are not mistaking. I remember seeing the same thing in an earlier post.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #2,177 of 5,796
For me, the frustration is caused mostly by no response (confirmation) from MrSpeakers after inputting the registration information on the site.
Since I have received no email from MrSpeakers at all regarding my update registration (I have inputted the information on Aug 9, CA time, before the announcement mail from MrSpeakers), I feel anxious if I'm really in the waiting list or not.
You know, the site says "Looking to upgrade the ETHER product?Simply fill out the form below and we will contact you shortly."
Though I can see the situation of this thread, waiting for a contact for more than six weeks is pretty long for me.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #2,178 of 5,796

For those that made the cut, there was an e-mail quite a while ago. If you, like most didn't get an e mail , then you were;nt selected. I know you have a need for them to send you an e-mail telling you " You were not selected". What you have to realize is Mr Speakers is not Amazon. Its a very small company whose employe's are busy making product and not sending out e-mails. At some point in time you'll get your e-mail telling you your next up. Nobody knows, Dan included just when that will be. Could be worse, you could be after  custom Fitear IEM's. For that you would have to move to Japan for a few months.

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2,179 of 5,796
  For me, the frustration is caused mostly by no response (confirmation) from MrSpeakers after inputting the registration information on the site.
Since I have received no email from MrSpeakers at all regarding my update registration (I have inputted the information on Aug 9, CA time, before the announcement mail from MrSpeakers), I feel anxious if I'm really in the waiting list or not.
You know, the site says "Looking to upgrade the ETHER product?Simply fill out the form below and we will contact you shortly."
Though I can see the situation of this thread, waiting for a contact for more than six weeks is pretty long for me.

We didn't install an auto-response until two weeks ago, it was an oversight. If you filled out the form you're on the list.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 25, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #2,180 of 5,796

For those that made the cut, there was an e-mail quite a while ago. If you, like most didn't get an e mail , then you were;nt selected. I know you have a need for them to send you an e-mail telling you " You were not selected". What you have to realize is Mr Speakers is not Amazon. Its a very small company whose employe's are busy making product and not sending out e-mails. At some point in time you'll get your e-mail telling you your next up. Nobody knows, Dan included just when that will be. Could be worse, you could be after  custom Fitear IEM's. For that you would have to move to Japan for a few months.

I just wanted to have auto response to make it sure I am on the list. Internet not always runs well.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #2,181 of 5,796

We didn't install an auto-response until two weeks ago, it was an oversight. If you filled out the form you're on the list.

Thanks for the explanation. I am happy to hear you have installed auto-response function.
I know you initially expected much less upgrades application, and you thought you can handle them quicker, not let them wait long for update message, but it happened to be so many guys on the list, right?

I will just wait for my turn for upgrading listening my great ETHER 1.1.
Thanks for the great products and great work.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,183 of 5,796

Anyone else?

Yep. Mine do the same and knowing how pads being equal on other phones I've been good holding off. I was going to wait until the upgrade since it includes new pads and would save MrSpeakers a few bucks. I might make the call to tech support since it might be a good while before the list and upgrades are going to be an option again before I'm out of the warranty window.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,184 of 5,796
Our headphones are not designed like other headphones and one result is that asymmetric pad compression is going to occur for most of the headphones when you store the headphone with the ear pads touching each other. Asymmetric pad compression when off the head is not a defect and has no effect on fit, seal or sound.

The reason the pads do this is the accumulated effect of the flexible headband design, super-soft foam in the pads, natural leather and the gimbal geometry. We could design a pad that wouldn't do this, but the effect would be less comfort and reduced bass.

You can minimize asymmetric pad compression when off the head by storing on a stand with flat pad rests (like the one Peter at HeadAmp makes), or by putting a foam spacer between the pads to separate them when not in use (like the one Audeze ships with the LCDs).

Don't forget you can use the carrying case as a headphone stand, which will also reduce this a bit.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,185 of 5,796
Our headphones are not designed like other headphones and one result is that asymmetric pad compression is going to occur for most of the headphones when you store the headphone with the ear pads touching each other. Asymmetric pad compression when off the head is not a defect and has no effect on fit, seal or sound.

The reason the pads do this is the accumulated effect of the flexible headband design, super-soft foam in the pads, natural leather and the gimbal geometry. We could design a pad that wouldn't do this, but the effect would be less comfort and reduced bass.

You can minimize asymmetric pad compression when off the head by storing on a stand with flat pad rests (like the one Peter at HeadAmp makes), or by putting a foam spacer between the pads to separate them when not in use (like the one Audeze ships with the LCDs).

Don't forget you can use the carrying case as a headphone stand, which will also reduce this a bit.

So why didn't the original Ether pads have this problem? This is not a good look for 1800$

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #2,187 of 5,796
"...not a defect and has no effect on fit, seal or sound."

Let it go, people.

Not to nitpick, but an almost identical issue was deemed defective by Dan not that long ago. The pictures look identical, so I'm not sure if this is just a different approach to addressing what could be considered by some to be a non-issue, but it definitely looks "off" and it seems fair to say that the response has changed. Don't want to speculate beyond that, but I'm definitely a little confused.

For the sake of completenes, here is the original post from 8/4:

The pads are a little stiffer than those on my Ether C 1.1 however that may just be because they are new. They are comfortable and of course very similar in shape, design, etc. The left pad (on mine) will probably need to be replaced (I'll reach out MrSpeakers later tonight to discuss) as it seems to be significantly more "worn" and has less "fill" than the right. If they were both that way I probably wouldn't have a problem with it but they are quite different. Anyway, that's a minor gripe and I'm sure it'll get resolved.

Update: MrSpeakers is sending me a new pad pair and has notified their QC team to be on the lookout for this to ensure matched pads go out to customers.

See this post for some initial thoughts. Quite happy thus far!

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,188 of 5,796
I accepted a couple of pad swaps because I didn't really want to nitpick with a few people or explain this is great detail, but I guess that was a mistake, as it didn't settle the "issue" and made it look like there was a problem when there isn't. Lesson learned.

Anyone who is curious can stop by at RMAF and we'll show you, there's nothing mysterious and when you see what causes this it's obvious enough that it's normal and harmless...

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2,190 of 5,796
I accepted a couple of pad swaps because I didn't really want to nitpick with a few people or explain this is great detail, but I guess that was a mistake, as it didn't settle the "issue" and made it look like there was a problem when there isn't. Lesson learned.

Anyone who is curious can stop by at RMAF and we'll show you, there's nothing mysterious and when you see what causes this it's obvious enough that it's normal and harmless...

+1 My Flow arrived with the pads looking different, but after i took it out and left it on the stand for 2 days, the compressed pad fluff back naturally. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back