MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 22, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,131 of 5,796
It's interesting to compare the LCD-2 because there are so many different versions/variance between them. My 2013 LCD-2.2 actually sound thinner than the ETHER Flow. The Flows mid bass is more prominent as is the midrange in general. The Flow is smoother than my pair of LCD-2, with less grain and more balance up top. YMMV.

As an owner of the newly re-voiced (2016) LCD-2, you are describing one of the bigger annoyances I experience with trying to find information on Audeze products. Their lack of iteration notation between revamps in the series makes it near impossible to find up to date impressions and comparisons. It is part of the reason I'm considering jumping to another brand.

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2,132 of 5,796
As an owner of the newly re-voiced (2016) LCD-2, you are describing one of the bigger annoyances I experience with trying to find information on Audeze products. Their lack of iteration notation between revamps in the series makes it near impossible to find up to date impressions and comparisons. It is part of the reason I'm considering jumping to another brand.

Yup. In general the LCD-2 is one headphone that I feel can not be used as a reference point because of the variance between different pairs, never mind different revisions. I feel MrSpeakers headphones are pretty good with unit to unit consistency.

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,133 of 5,796
  Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am still burning in my Flows. The Ethers are developing a nicely textured bass, still a touch bloomy, and not the level of sub bass my LCD2's had (they were Nov 2015 model). Don't know if this will change, but the LCD's bass seemed slightly punchier (maybe a tiny bit enhanced by an SW22 cable I used with the LCD2's).  I do prefer the better overall balance of the Flows, however. Timbre, instrument placement, and upper mid and treble detail is there in spades, and more natural to my ears with the Flows  As has been noted, the flows have a slight V shape signature, maybe more so than the LCD's.  But I've always liked midcentric phones, and the Flow's mids are not so recessed as to cause me not to love them.  Lastly, there is no comparison when it comes to comfort, the much lighter Ethers win hands down.  Of course, all in my opinion.

Are these the closed or open Ether Flows ?

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,134 of 5,796
Sep 22, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #2,135 of 5,796

Thanks for the reply! So, to summarize, I would gain a bit of detail in the high end and lose some sub bass quantity? I'm still a bit new to this hobby overall, and I'm still learning the language. 
smile.gif

Overall, my one complaint about my LCD-2s is that the treble feels a bit rolled off, and a touch more sub bass would be nice. Hence, the Ether Flows and LCD-X are on my radar. 

Yes, that would be my current impression in those two specific areas.  But I may not have adequately conveyed that, in my opinion, the balance of the Ethers, from bass through the upper registers, is noticeably more cohesive and natural sounding than the Audezes, and improving the longer I listen to them.  Wasn't quite ready to believe that burn in was necessary to fully appreciate the Ethers, but I am coming around to that opinion.

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #2,136 of 5,796

To my knowledge, my Nov. 2015 LCD2s would be the same version as your 2016's.

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,137 of 5,796
Thanks for the reply! So, to summarize, I would gain a bit of detail in the high end and lose some sub bass quantity? I'm still a bit new to this hobby overall, and I'm still learning the language. :smile:

Overall, my one complaint about my LCD-2s is that the treble feels a bit rolled off, and a touch more sub bass would be nice. Hence, the Ether Flows and LCD-X are on my radar. 

I haven't received my flows yet. But I had the lcd-2f and then got the lcd-X, the greater sub bass was very noticeable. I had a late version lcd-2f, so I think it wasn't as dark and thick sounding as I've heard it described with the older versions. Someone recently posted a really nice comparison of the Lcd-X with the flows on this thread a couple weeks ago.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #2,138 of 5,796
  I went a tad bit overboard with my adapter. 
redface.gif

Did you make it yourself or buy it from somewhere? It looks KILLER!! How does it sound?

Sep 23, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2,140 of 5,796

Did you make it yourself or buy it from somewhere? It looks KILLER!! How does it sound?

I wish I could make something like this, it's a Norne, using his Arcade cable.  I can't say it makes things sound better, I can say it is completely transparent with no degradation when using it in the chain.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2,141 of 5,796
I have a mojo. It pairs very well with the Ether C. I'd give it a "very nice" and "punches above its weight" for sure. I *might* give it TOTL for portable gear. I think I'd stop there though. That's pretty high praise from me though. If I didn't like it as I do, it would be long gone....

I would say that the mojo has a dual personality. It is a phenomenal portable amp/DAC. It's amp component can't compete with a high end desktop amp in terms of soundstage. The beauty is when you want to pair it with such a high end amp, you have a world class DAC that is tough to beat regardless of price. Thus, the mojo is a serious win-win. Portability when you need it, no-compromise when you don't want it.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #2,142 of 5,796
I would say that the mojo has a dual personality. It is a phenomenal portable amp/DAC. It's amp component can't compete with a high end desktop amp in terms of soundstage. The beauty is when you want to pair it with such a high end amp, you have a world class DAC that is tough to beat regardless of price. Thus, the mojo is a serious win-win. Portability when you need it, no-compromise when you don't want it.

I am not sure though. When I auditioned Hugo and Mojo one by one, Hugo was simply better than Mojo. Mojo was not much different than other DAC in the similar range $300-$600.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,143 of 5,796
  I am not sure though. When I auditioned Hugo and Mojo one by one, Hugo was simply better than Mojo. Mojo was not much different than other DAC in the similar range $300-$600.

Not doubting your own observations, we all hear things differently, but I'd guess you have dozens if not hundreds of long-term Head-Fiers that believe the Mojo is an amazing DAC that performs far beyond its price-point. There are also many of us who actually prefer the Mojo's sound over the Hugo. Cheers 

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #2,144 of 5,796
  Not doubting your own observations, we all hear things differently, but I'd guess you have dozens if not hundreds of long-term Head-Fiers that believe the Mojo is an amazing DAC that performs far beyond its price-point. There are also many of us who actually prefer the Mojo's sound over the Hugo. Cheers 

I understand that there are people who like somewhat warmer sound signature of Mojo. But we as owners of Ether, we already have the very good alternative (3 sponges) for that purpose.

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #2,145 of 5,796
My personal opinion is that the Mojo is damn good for the price but compared to my Bimby/Lyr2(iFi NOS 6922) it lacks a spaciouse soundstage,clarity and instrumental separation but when you consider that the latter is double the price I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back