MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
May 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #4,037 of 4,813

The HA-1 amp section is really pretty excellent.  The dac section is a bit more controversial.

I would agree. 

"What does the HA-1 not do so well? This is not an amp for those who are looking for a “full on” tube/OTL sound. While the HA-1 excels at dynamics, it’s also not for someone specifically looking for an overly lush sound. Keep in mind that this amp takes up a large footprint (measuring 10×4.8×12.2), and for some, the HA-1 may be difficult to comfortably fit on a desktop. The real strength of this product is in the amp section. Overall, the DAC performs well, yet with revealing headphones, it may be a tad bright."

Me quoting me. 
wink.gif

http://headphone.guru/oppo-ha-1/

May 20, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #4,038 of 4,813
Impatiently waiting to get my Ether-C back from Mr. Speakers.

I shipped them in last week to get a small issue w/ the headband fixed.

They were supposed to be shipped out yesterday, but haven't heard if they actually were or not.

The wait continues.. hopefully next week I'll have them back.

On the up side, my Gumby and Mjolnir 2 should be here next week, quite a bit earlier than I expected!

edit - just got a tracking number for my headphones.

May 20, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #4,039 of 4,813
I would agree. 

"[COLOR=444444]What does the HA-1 not do so well? This is not an amp for those who are looking for a “full on” tube/OTL sound. While the HA-1 excels at dynamics, it’s also not for someone specifically looking for an overly lush sound. Keep in mind that this amp takes up a large footprint (measuring 10×4.8×12.2), and for some, the HA-1 may be difficult to comfortably fit on a desktop. The real strength of this product is in the amp section. Overall, the DAC performs well, yet with revealing headphones, it may be a tad bright."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=444444]Me quoting me. [/COLOR]:wink:

Haha yeah. The amp section is pretty good. I'm waiting for my Moon Neo 430 HA to arrive in a couple weeks to compare.

May 20, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #4,041 of 4,813
  Hope the burn-in time helps. My brain should burn-in to both the 800S and Ether C. Keeping both of them is too costly. I hope I can sell my 800S at the end.

have you tried to play around with the tuning pads? According to Tyll, it will increase the bass response.
This could possibly help with the quantity, not sure with the impact though..

May 20, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #4,042 of 4,813
The HA-1 amp section is really pretty excellent.  The dac section is a bit more controversial.

I would agree. 

"[COLOR=444444]What does the HA-1 not do so well? This is not an amp for those who are looking for a “full on” tube/OTL sound. While the HA-1 excels at dynamics, it’s also not for someone specifically looking for an overly lush sound. Keep in mind that this amp takes up a large footprint (measuring 10×4.8×12.2), and for some, the HA-1 may be difficult to comfortably fit on a desktop. The real strength of this product is in the amp section. Overall, the DAC performs well, yet with revealing headphones, it may be a tad bright."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=444444]Me quoting me. [/COLOR]:wink:

I figured I ought elaborate a bit. I've owned the HA-1, and I like it a lot. I did not have my ether C with them, so no comment on the pairing, though I suspect it would be fine. I purchased a new R2-R Dac, and found that I preferred the sound signature. Not everyone will prefer the R2-R or other dacs, hence my comments about controversy.

Now, back to subject - it seems my rig might be settling down. Ether C and the Cavalli Liquid Crimson can't really get much better for my current needs. The Ether C is the best closed headphone I've heard, and I love the Crimson. Damn that Liquid Carbon gateway dru-uh-amp. Once I compare the Gungnir multibit to my audio-gd Dac-19, I'll know if I'm changing dacs or not. Then what?

'Course then there is the Etherstat and an amp.... After hearing one of the prototypes, I may run down that rabbit hole…

May 21, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #4,043 of 4,813
I figured I ought elaborate a bit. I've owned the HA-1, and I like it a lot. I did not have my ether C with them, so no comment on the pairing, though I suspect it would be fine. I purchased a new R2-R Dac, and found that I preferred the sound signature. Not everyone will prefer the R2-R or other dacs, hence my comments about controversy.

Now, back to subject - it seems my rig might be settling down. Ether C and the Cavalli Liquid Crimson can't really get much better for my current needs. The Ether C is the best closed headphone I've heard, and I love the Crimson. Damn that Liquid Carbon gateway dru-uh-amp. Once I compare the Gungnir multibit to my audio-gd Dac-19, I'll know if I'm changing dacs or not. Then what?

'Course then there is the Etherstat and an amp.... After hearing one of the prototypes, I may run down that rabbit hole…
I am very interested in your opinion of the "Gumby" vs DAC-19.
I was told by Dan Clark the Ether-C's needed 200 hours of break in and that it was a 'real thing'. When new mine had small soundstage, no bass, even balanced into a Master 11. So I played louder music in them checking in from time to time. Now I'm like, 'So these are what everyone is talking about'. The bass will never be quite like my th900's. This is a far more balanced and resolving headset. For a piece of equipment to be a success it has to reveal something new in the recording. The Ether-C's are successful.

May 21, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #4,045 of 4,813
I don't want to derail the thread, but I feel the need to voice my displeasure with Mr. Speakers service.

I got my Ether-C on May 2nd and they were great. Later, I noticed a problem with the headband on May 11th, and contacted Mr. Speakers via the website.

To their credit, they responded promptly and I engaged in an email exchange with them describing the problem, ultimately determining that it would be best for me to send them in to be fixed.

They provided me with a FedEx ground label and I shipped them out the next day. They arrived the following Wednesday, in the morning. Previously, I'd been told that it is usually a same day turnaround for small repairs.so I followed up via email to ensure that they had been received. I was told that they were going out Thursday. On Friday morning, I sent them an email asking if they had shipped my headphones and if they had a tracking number. I didn't hear anything back from them. That evening, I got a FedEx Delivery Manager notification that I had a package coming and the delivery date is Thursday 5/26/2016. So they didn't ship my headphones back until Friday and they still used ground shipping, despite the fact that they shipped them later than what they stated.

By the time I get them back, I'll have been without them for 2 weeks, which is longer than I've had them in my possession since I purchased them in the first place.

I am upset.. that I can spend $1500 on a pair of headphones, discover a problem and end up waiting 2 weeks to get them back. At this price point, the service should be better. I'm not blaming them for the fact that there was a small issue with the headband. Nothing is perfect. I'm not even particularly upset that they shipped them later than what was promised. Mistakes happen, people forget things. My issue is with how long this has taken and how I still don't have my headphones back yet.

May 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,046 of 4,813

By the time I get them back, I'll have been without them for 2 weeks, which is longer than I've had them in my possession since I purchased them in the first place.

You're complaining about a 3-day turnaround? Jesus. I had to wait 3 weeks for Audeze to swap out drivers on my busted LCD-3s (which are now sold). I hope my LCD-XCs never fail...

May 21, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #4,047 of 4,813

You're complaining about a 3-day turnaround? Jesus. I had to wait 3 weeks for Audeze to swap out drivers on my busted LCD-3s (which are now sold). I hope my LCD-XCs never fail...

Agree. And Ground shipping is standard for repairs, as they're picking up the tab right? If you wanted them back sooner (e.g. faster shipping) I'm sure they would have let you pay the difference. 

May 21, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4,048 of 4,813

Oh you picked up a GMB?  I'm definitely interested in your thoughts as well.  I didn't have the Liquid Crimson when I had the GMB but I suspect I'd still end up liking the DAC-19 better, especially with the Ether C.

May 21, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #4,049 of 4,813
I don't want to derail the thread, but I feel the need to voice my displeasure with Mr. Speakers service.

I got my Ether-C on May 2nd and they were great. Later, I noticed a problem with the headband on May 11th, and contacted Mr. Speakers via the website.

To their credit, they responded promptly and I engaged in an email exchange with them describing the problem, ultimately determining that it would be best for me to send them in to be fixed.

They provided me with a FedEx ground label and I shipped them out the next day. They arrived the following Wednesday, in the morning. Previously, I'd been told that it is usually a same day turnaround for small repairs.so I followed up via email to ensure that they had been received. I was told that they were going out Thursday. On Friday morning, I sent them an email asking if they had shipped my headphones and if they had a tracking number. I didn't hear anything back from them. That evening, I got a FedEx Delivery Manager notification that I had a package coming and the delivery date is Thursday 5/26/2016. So they didn't ship my headphones back until Friday and they still used ground shipping, despite the fact that they shipped them later than what they stated.

I am upset.. that I can spend $1500 on a pair of headphones, discover a problem and end up waiting 2 weeks to get them back. At this price point, the service should be better. I'm not blaming them for the fact that there was a small issue with the headband. Nothing is perfect. I'm not even particularly upset that they shipped them later than what was promised. Mistakes happen, people forget things. My issue is with how long this has taken and how I still don't have my headphones back yet.
Yeah sorry no sympathy here mate. When my Audeze LCD-3s died (that's died, not just some headband problem- they actually stopped working) it took over a month to get them back and they came back STILL defective. All told I was without them for 2 months and had to pay shipping costs myself. This is service for a $2000 dollar headphone too, so I'd say Mr. Speakers is doing great by comparison.

May 21, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #4,050 of 4,813
@Robobandit, you can't be impatient in this game. I've waited close to two years for an amp. I've read stories here of people waiting years for their amps and headphone only to be stiffed. Two weeks is nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back