MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
May 22, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #4,066 of 4,813
I thought the 1.1 would be black under the pad (the new foam is black) and the 1.0 would be white as there are still only the two white pads there.

Mine is a 1.0, was white through the ear pad. After taking the pad off it was confirmed there was just the two white peices over the driver.

For sure from boxing or included papers & pads it is hard to guess without opening or removing inside pads.
It happened to me with my Ether  C. From box S/N I have an Lot 03.A1 +.1 added in pencil.(cf picture)
I confirmed I owned an 1.1 version by removing earcups & looking inside: 1 white + 1 black pad on top of the white one.
It is probable that nowadays the boxing information has improved. Anyhow, I am personnally enjoying them a lot.
Cheers.

May 22, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #4,067 of 4,813
Yeah, we added a few in pencil because the SN's had been printed.  Kinda hokey, but legit.  
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 23, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #4,069 of 4,813
  Now, I have both HD-800S and Ether C. Both of them have been driven by OPPO HA-2. 50 hours of listening for HD-800S, and 10 hours for Ether C. In terms of sound quality compared to the 800S, Ether C has not impressed me yet.

Sound stage is definitely narrower than the 800S and bass impact is weaker significantly (but HA-2 has bass boost and it helps a lot). I don't think it is due to HA-2, because HA-2 still can generate enough volume for both phones and it gives enough bass response for the 800S. (If your experience is different, please share). And I don't like the idea that I have to turn on the bass boost every time I play at this price level.

As I am in an environment where open-can is not appreciated, so I am trying to love my Ether C. But at this stage, it is still questionable. The source of the problem might be that it has not gone through enough break-in periods. Is there anyone who has both cans and is willing to share an experience?

Follow up with my comment. I am in a limited environment where I cannot burn my Ether C all days, but I am doing my best. I guess it has been 20 hours of listening, and whenever I have a chance I play bass heavy music like R&B/Hiphop at max volume+bass boost with my OPPO HA-2. I am glad to report that positive changes are detected. Bass has been from virtually non-existent to quite listenable, but still not at there. I am eager to find what it has to offer in next few days.

May 24, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #4,070 of 4,813
has anyone weighed the tuning pads?
I'm just getting to trying them now, weirdly the thought popped into my head that the headphone feels just a touch heavier with tuning pads, I'm putting the feeling more down to my head getting used the headphones but also thinking I remember reading the ether c's weigh about 300 grams, maybe 2 tuning pads could weigh 30 grams between them. that would be about a 10% increase in weight and maybe I'm not crazy for noticing a 10% difference

May 24, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #4,073 of 4,813
On my kitchen scale.....the white pads are 1 gram apiece.  It takes two black pads to equal 1 gram.

Yep, a moderate sneeze would send them across the room!

May 24, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #4,074 of 4,813
Yep, a moderate sneeze would send them across the room!

LOL!!!
(don't know why this had me laughing so much, but it did... :p)

May 24, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #4,075 of 4,813
has anyone weighed the tuning pads?

I'm just getting to trying them now, weirdly the thought popped into my head that the headphone feels just a touch heavier with tuning pads, I'm putting the feeling more down to my head getting used the headphones but also thinking I remember reading the ether c's weigh about 300 grams, maybe 2 tuning pads could weigh 30 grams between them. that would be about a 10% increase in weight and maybe I'm not crazy for noticing a 10% difference

Were you listening to heavy-metal, or light jazz?

May 24, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #4,078 of 4,813
Slowly putting together a review of the Ether C.  Taking some more shots for the review tonight.  Getting into the construction and took some detailed shots.  Thought some in this thread may find them interesting. 

That isn't dust on the cup, those are tiny tiny air bubbles and inclusions in the epoxy layer (don't worry they aren't visible to the naked eye)

My 1.1 upgrade doesn't get here till tomorrow.  If you see what looks like this white felt below your ear pad you are at 1.0.  Ill get a picture of the 1.1 installed after it arrives. 

I haven't seen a shot of the driver yet, I think this is actually a cover or part of the driver structure.  

Close up of the driver and driver enclosure.  There is some dampening below the driver and you can see all the lines from the 3D printing. Nice attention to detail all around with the selection of fastening hardware used.  

May 24, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #4,079 of 4,813
  Slowly putting together a review of the Ether C.  Taking some more shots for the review tonight.  Getting into the construction and took some detailed shots.  Thought some in this thread may find them interesting. 

Close up of the driver and driver enclosure.  There is some dampening below the driver and you can see all the lines from the 3D printing. Nice attention to detail all around with the selection of fastening hardware used.  

Nice pics! 

Yeah, at their offices in San Diego they have a room full of 3D printers going 24/7 on these things. Cool design from Mr. Clark and friends. 

Cheers 

May 24, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #4,080 of 4,813

That isn't dust on the cup, those are tiny tiny air bubbles and inclusions in the epoxy layer (don't worry they aren't visible to the naked eye)

My 1.1 upgrade doesn't get here till tomorrow.  If you see what looks like this white felt below your ear pad you are at 1.0.  Ill get a picture of the 1.1 installed after it arrives. 

I haven't seen a shot of the driver yet, I think this is actually a cover or part of the driver structure.  

Good post/presentation. Keep us posted! :thumbsup_tone1:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back