MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
May 20, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #4,021 of 4,813
  So I've joined the party now!

You've literally got the exact same setup as me, Ether C, HA-1 and even the same black woo audio stand! 

May 20, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #4,022 of 4,813
  You've literally got the exact same setup as me, Ether C, HA-1 and even the same black woo audio stand! 

great minds think alike!
how do you like the pairing?
I've only had the ether c's for about 2 hours, have been using normal gain mode and have had the volume between -17db and -15db, do you use similar?

interestingly that was also the same gain and volume range I would use with lcd-xc's

May 20, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #4,023 of 4,813

great minds think alike!
I've only had the ether c's for about 2 hours, have been using normal gain mode and have had the volume between -17db and -15db, do you use similar?

interestingly that was also the same gain and volume range I would use with lcd-xc's

Yeah i am normally at 17-19 on the volume too, so pretty similar. I really like the pairing, both of them are some of the best values I've heard so far and both are very versatile with all the types of music they do well with. The HA-1 can be a bit strident with bad recordings for my taste but the HA-1 with some tuning love applied really tames that down and makes them sound like a match made in heaven. 

May 20, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #4,025 of 4,813
  Any comment on the Ether C with white pads on metal yet? Does it bring the fullness up?

metal has been discussed many times on this thread. Just search the thread. See post #3844 for at least one opinion. 

great minds think alike!

I too have the HA-1 and I use about the same listening volume. Some would sat the HA-1 is a bit on harsh side, but I like it. More sensitive ears than mine have compared my HA-1 to my Liquid Carbon, and found the LC smoother. Some have suggested the DAC on the Oppo is the what's making the sound a bit colder. Some folks not he HA-1 thread use an external DAC with the HA-1. One guy at a meet claimed it was the power supply on the HA-1, but he sells power supplies :). The HA-1 certainly falls on the digital sounding side, rather then the tube sounding side of the spectrum.

Over all, I really like the HA-1, and I think it pairs well with the Ether C, but a tuning pad is needed (for me, at least).

May 20, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #4,027 of 4,813
  Any comment on the Ether C with white pads on metal yet? Does it bring the fullness up?

I listen to metal a bit (rockin out to some saxon as I write this), once mine have burned in a bit I'll give the tuning pads a lash and weigh in.
  I too have the HA-1 and I use about the same listening volume. Some would sat the HA-1 is a bit on harsh side, but I like it. More sensitive ears than mine have compared my HA-1 to my Liquid Carbon, and found the LC smoother. Some have suggested the DAC on the Oppo is the what's making the sound a bit colder. Some folks not he HA-1 thread use an external DAC with the HA-1. One guy at a meet claimed it was the power supply on the HA-1, but he sells power supplies :). The HA-1 certainly falls on the digital sounding side, rather then the tube sounding side of the spectrum.

Over all, I really like the HA-1, and I think it pairs well with the Ether C, but a tuning pad is needed (for me, at least).

I've tried a couple of dac's feeding the ha-1 and have found that to the case
the hugo for example feeding the ha-1 was somehow smoother than ha-1 alone or hugo alone all using lcd-xc with moon audio single ended cable

Digital is a good word to describe it, I sold my xc's because they really emphasised the ha-1's unnatural rendition at times of hi-hats and cymbals, and the weight!
Certain tracks were unlistenable.
with about 8 hours into my ether c's so 'grain of salt' I've tried a few of those tracks and although it still sounds a bit unnatural they're in far unlistenable

May 20, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #4,028 of 4,813

I listen to metal a bit (rockin out to some saxon as I write this), once mine have burned in a bit I'll give the tuning pads a lash and weigh in.

I've tried a couple of dac's feeding the ha-1 and have found that to the case
the hugo for example feeding the ha-1 was somehow smoother than ha-1 alone or hugo alone all using lcd-xc with moon audio single ended cable

Digital is a good word to describe it, I sold my xc's because they really emphasised the ha-1's unnatural rendition at times of hi-hats and cymbals, and the weight!
Certain tracks were unlistenable.
with about 8 hours into my ether c's so 'grain of salt' I've tried a few of those tracks and although it still sounds a bit unnatural they're in far unlistenable

thx man, Appreciate the effort.

Some people say that it sounds good with metal, however I need to know if the tuning pads is the reason of such enjoyments.
I tried the ether c before and found it a little thin for metal, however i didn't try the tuning pads. hopefully it will bring up the fullness in it.

regards,
Mic

May 20, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #4,029 of 4,813
Now, I have both HD-800S and Ether C. Both of them have been driven by OPPO HA-2. 50 hours of listening for HD-800S, and 10 hours for Ether C. In terms of sound quality compared to the 800S, Ether C has not impressed me yet.

Sound stage is definitely narrower than the 800S and bass impact is weaker significantly (but HA-2 has bass boost and it helps a lot). I don't think it is due to HA-2, because HA-2 still can generate enough volume for both phones and it gives enough bass response for the 800S. (If your experience is different, please share). And I don't like the idea that I have to turn on the bass boost every time I play at this price level.

As I am in an environment where open-can is not appreciated, so I am trying to love my Ether C. But at this stage, it is still questionable. The source of the problem might be that it has not gone through enough break-in periods. Is there anyone who has both cans and is willing to share an experience?

May 20, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #4,030 of 4,813
The C's need the break-in for at least 150 hours before they start to come into there own. The bass will get better. I'm not a bass head so they are fine for me others will disagree YMMV.

May 20, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #4,031 of 4,813
  Now, I have both HD-800S and Ether C. Both of them have been driven by OPPO HA-2. 50 hours of listening for HD-800S, and 10 hours for Ether C. In terms of sound quality compared to the 800S, Ether C has not impressed me yet.

Sound stage is definitely narrower than the 800S and bass impact is weaker significantly (but HA-2 has bass boost and it helps a lot). I don't think it is due to HA-2, because HA-2 still can generate enough volume for both phones and it gives enough bass response for the 800S. (If your experience is different, please share). And I don't like the idea that I have to turn on the bass boost every time I play at this price level.

As I am in an environment where open-can is not appreciated, so I am trying to love my Ether C. But at this stage, it is still questionable. The source of the problem might be that it has not gone through enough break-in periods. Is there anyone who has both cans and is willing to share an experience?

As Buke9 pointed out, give the Ether C 10-150 hours of moderately loud, bass heavy music. I just left my running int he garage for 5 days. I generally don't believe in burn-in, but it did make a significant difference with the Ether C.

There have been some comments on the HA-2 an the Ether C earlier in this thread. From what I recall, the parking wasn't ideal. The said, if it sound good with the bass boost, then by all means, flick that little switch. 

Give it the burn-in time and then listen to it exclusively for a day or two to let your brain burn-in. 

May 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #4,032 of 4,813
I am not a bass head either. The level of bass HD-800S generates (without any eq) is just right for me. My first impression (qualification is 10 hours of burn-in) is that the bass response of Ether C is too weak for my liking. Hope the break-in helps. 

May 20, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #4,033 of 4,813

As Buke9 pointed out, give the Ether C 10-150 hours of moderately loud, bass heavy music. I just left my running int he garage for 5 days. I generally don't believe in burn-in, but it did make a significant difference with the Ether C.

There have been some comments on the HA-2 an the Ether C earlier in this thread. From what I recall, the parking wasn't ideal. The said, if it sound good with the bass boost, then by all means, flick that little switch. 

Give it the burn-in time and then listen to it exclusively for a day or two to let your brain burn-in. 

Hope the burn-in time helps. My brain should burn-in to both the 800S and Ether C. Keeping both of them is too costly. I hope I can sell my 800S at the end.

May 20, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #4,034 of 4,813
metal has been discussed many times on this thread. Just search the thread. See post #3844 for at least one opinion. 

It's the DAC of The HA-1 which requires a use of a tuning pad to reduce listening fatigue. After receiving my yiggy, and using it with the HA-1 as an amp only, I don't use any pads.

May 20, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #4,035 of 4,813

It's the DAC of The HA-1 which requires a use of a tuning pad to reduce listening fatigue. After receiving my yiggy, and using it with the HA-1 as an amp only, I don't use any pads.

Thanks for the update! Good to know the $10 tuning pad does the same job as the $2299 DAC! :)    <--- humor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back