MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
May 13, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #3,991 of 4,813
My decisions keep getting tougher as I dive deeper into the audiophile world..

I have to make the decision soon whether to get the Ether C or move up to the speaker big leagues and get an Ascend Sierra Acoustics Sierra-2 or Sierra Tower.

Both manufacturers hit a soft spot in my heart, they are both made in the U.S. and also in California. Mr. Speakers is over near Rosecrans St. in San Diego and Ascend is up near San Clemente where I go surfing sometimes.
Get the ribbon tweters or you'll really regret it.

May 15, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #3,993 of 4,813
I've been listening tot he Ether C with the Brainwavz Angled Memory Foam Earpad - Black Velour pads and the white tunning pad, and I think this might be a winning combination for those that prefer velour over leather. Just make sue the fat part of the earned is to the rear of the headphones. 

May 15, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #3,994 of 4,813
As I said a while ago, got my Ether Cs almost a week ago. My god I already love them to death. Upgraded from Alpha Dogs that I had used for 2 years with an average of 6-7 hours per day. I haven't even tried them with DAC+AMP yet because I don't have my interconnect cable with me and they sound great just out of the laptop. A bit thin sounding at times but decent. Did some comparing with the Alpha Dogs and the first thing I heard was top tier clarity / imaging. Amazing. Soundstage a bit better. Haven't really payed attention to anything else besides the music. Can't wait to use DAC+AMP and give these beauties some power.

May 15, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #3,995 of 4,813
  As I said a while ago, got my Ether Cs almost a week ago. My god I already love them to death. Upgraded from Alpha Dogs that I had used for 2 years with an average of 6-7 hours per day. I haven't even tried them with DAC+AMP yet because I don't have my interconnect cable with me and they sound great just out of the laptop. A bit thin sounding at times but decent. Did some comparing with the Alpha Dogs and the first thing I heard was top tier clarity / imaging. Amazing. Soundstage a bit better. Haven't really payed attention to anything else besides the music. Can't wait to use DAC+AMP and give these beauties some power.

So glad you're enjoying them. And if you like them straight out of your laptop you've got some great new discoveries coming when you do pair them someday with a good DAC & amp. I've got a pair of Ether-C's connected to monster Cavalli Liquid Gold right now and it's heavenly. However, you don't need to jump up to a $4K amp to make a significant difference. I'd strongly suggest the Chord Mojo as an amazing next step for only $600 to get an incredible DAC section and enough power to drive the Ether-C's.And I know, $600 is still a good deal of money, but the different it will make will blow your mind. Cheers

May 15, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #3,996 of 4,813

I'd strongly suggest the Chord Mojo as an amazing next step for only $600 to get an incredible DAC section and enough power to drive the Ether-C's.And I know, $600 is still a good deal of money, but the different it will make will blow your mind. Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion. In the near future when I have saved enough money I was planning to look into some DAC/AMPs totaling up to $1500 total and the Chord Mojo seems pretty convincing for now.

May 16, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #3,997 of 4,813
Thanks for the suggestion. In the near future when I have saved enough money I was planning to look into some DAC/AMPs totaling up to $1500 total and the Chord Mojo seems pretty convincing for now.
In that budget range it would be a good idea to audition the Questyle CMA600i unless your DAC/amp needs to be portable

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 16, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #3,999 of 4,813
I've been listening tot he Ether C with the Brainwavz Angled Memory Foam Earpad - Black Velour pads and the white tunning pad, and I think this might be a winning combination for those that prefer velour over leather. Just make sue the fat part of the earned is to the rear of the headphones. 

What sort of changes are your hearing with these pads?

Somewhat less bass, which is why I went from one black pad to one white pad.

May 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #4,001 of 4,813
May 16, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #4,003 of 4,813
I have balanced cables for all my headphones and then use a set of adapters for SE, Pono, Mojo, etc. If you want to stick to one cable that works with every headphone, I believe, Norne Audio, Moon Audio, sell adapters you put on the headphone sockets. Someone else join in. Do not plug SE into a Balanced output! There is no adapter for that. Amps blow up doing that. Don't do that.

That-a-tat-tat
smily_headphones1.gif

Alex at WyWires has offerred to make whatever adapters my customers have needed for their Ethers and others. Unless he's too busy working on thse new Platinum cables, I'm sure he could help 
atsmile.gif

May 16, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #4,004 of 4,813
Planning a business trip from Sweden to Dallas with a 2-day stop in New York. Where can I try the Ether C in NYC? Is it possible to buy the DUM cable in store or only through Mr Speakers?

May 16, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #4,005 of 4,813
Planning a business trip from Sweden to Dallas with a 2-day stop in New York. Where can I try the Ether C in NYC? Is it possible to buy the DUM cable in store or only through Mr Speakers?

https://mrspeakers.com/where-to-buy/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back