MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
May 12, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #3,976 of 4,813
Weird, I found those pads when I was reading through the Ether Open thread. @MattTCG seemed to be able to get those brainwavez cleanly on the Ether Open, I figured they'd fit the closed, too.  Though, it looks like he tried a slightly different model to the one I posted earlier (what he used, I think: here).  

See posts: #1935 and #1980

May 12, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #3,977 of 4,813
I just tried my Brainwavz Angled Memory Foam Earpad - Black Velour pads on my Ether C. They fit, although it was a stretch (literally :). Can't use the notch to rotate the pads on; you need to stretch it. Sound is not that bad, but some bass is lost. If you are willing to equalize, it will work. Sound with the leather be better, though.

Update: I forgot I had one black tuning pad in the Ether ear pads. I tried the velour pads again, this time with the tuning pad, and not bad! Vocals are a little recessed, possibly because the velour pads are thicker. Bass is nice, but I still give it a little EQ boost (3db under 125). Overall, I would say if you want velour, these pads work.

May 12, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #3,979 of 4,813
I mostly want to reduce ear pressure. I seem to be more sensitive to this than most...

if you mean reduce the clamp force around your ears, the velour pads may or may not help. They are thicker, so they will actually have a little more clamp. But they are softer. Not sure what you man about ear pressure. 

May 12, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #3,980 of 4,813
Not clamp pressure. It's like the air actually pushing in my ear.... I think. I'm assuming the breath ability of the velour will help with this.... It's a pretty cheap experiment, if nothing more. Worst case I trade for some ether opens.

May 13, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #3,981 of 4,813
I know what you're talking about cesupro. I had that problem with my left ear with the t5p but I don't seem to have the issue anymore when I went back and listened to them the other week. The only change I can think of is I had some impacted ear wax removed about a year ago which at least contributed to the problem if it wasn't the cause of it.

May 13, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #3,982 of 4,813
The tracking for my Ether C finally says out for delivery?  It made a really strange circle of postal locations in Florida and then returned to the origin facility where it had already been, and then randomly appeared in Chicago.  Looking forward to the weekend with some tunes.  

May 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,983 of 4,813
Not clamp pressure. It's like the air actually pushing in my ear.... I think. I'm assuming the breath ability of the velour will help with this.... It's a pretty cheap experiment, if nothing more. Worst case I trade for some ether opens.

I tested using both some folded napkins and also with some coffee stirrers. Both fixed the pressure issue for me. I'm gonna look into ways to put a felt or cloth pad over the lambskin, like a couch cover. Would be easy to stitch together I think. So now I've "fixed" my expensive headphones with toilet paper and napkins. Gotta love it lol

May 13, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,984 of 4,813
I tested using both some folded napkins and also with some coffee stirrers. Both fixed the pressure issue for me. I'm gonna look into ways to put a felt or cloth pad over the lambskin, like a couch cover. Would be easy to stitch together I think. So now I've "fixed" my expensive headphones with toilet paper and napkins. Gotta love it lol
I believe over on one of the HD800 threads there was a discussion of which brand toilet tissue sounded best. Shelf paper too :wink:

May 13, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #3,985 of 4,813

...Pics?

May 13, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #3,987 of 4,813
^^ Seems to me that the paper, of any sort, is just breaking the seal of the pad with your face. All closed headphones exert a nominal level of pressure back into the ear canal due to the nature of the design. The better the seal, the more pressure transferred....and typically the better the bass response as well. 

Some people with be sensitive to this and others will not. Due to different factors of course. 

May 13, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #3,989 of 4,813
Lol, the tp is over the drivers, this is separate from that :) and yeah, it's making the seal worse, but for those of us who are tormented by air pressure it's worth it IMO - personally it doesn't change all that much if I'm honest

May 13, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #3,990 of 4,813
Wow, 
That's not how you are supposed to do it at all. You cut it to shape and use the tp just like the tuning pads. It's supposed to cut the 10khz peak just the right amount

Wow, for 53 years I've been using toilet paper all wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back