MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #3,752 of 4,813
  What are the flat ear pads supposed to alter sonically?

I tried them last night on my Ether C's which have about 8-10 hours of burn in so far.

After about 30 to 45 min. of listening I went back to the angled pads.

Basically the sound stage is more compressed and it sounds more like a typical closed headphone. With the Angled pads the drivers are slightly further away and the sound stage opens up again and I find that it makes the Ether C sound like an open headphone!

On the flat pads I found the imaging to still be accurate and where it should be, but it's just scaled down and I found the Ether C's to maybe have a little bit more punch.

But on a good tube amp though, the dynamics and punch with the angled pads is just as good IMO. So for me it's wash.

I also prefer the plushness and comfort of the angled pads.

Ultimately everyone has their own preference but I highly recommend you buy them to hear it for yourself. For me it was not a subtle change.

The Ether C incredibly well designed... changing pads is a 1 minute process. And you can change them back and forth quickly and easily.

A Far cry from changing pads on the Audeze LCD line which is more of a permanent affair. It's an adventure in comparison with that thin 3M adhesive and the leather flat bottom rips very easily if you aren't careful.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #3,753 of 4,813
Qp1r is a great dap with ETHER C.

Interesting. You guys aren't the only ones to feel that way.

Sound quality is ultimately the most important thing in a DAP for me, but after moving away from the RWAK240 I'm really enjoying the full Android UI of the DP-X1.

Since it has a Android full UI and USB OTG support, perhaps the way to go for me would be to supplement it with something like the Chord Mojo or ALO Continental Dual Mono Mini Tube Amp/DAC.

I'm also not loving the Classic iPod-esque appearance for the Questyle DAP.

IMHO since the Ether C pairs so well with tube based gear I may give the ALO Continental Dual mono a look.

Especially since my previous experiences with ALO have always been good.

I used to use an ALO Rx MK3B and CLAS -db portable balanced stack before I opted for an all in one solution with the AK240.

Anybody try the Continental Dual Mono with the Ether C?

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #3,755 of 4,813
That's the only way I run them, and tried both active ground mode and regular balanced mode.

FWIW since I purchased the DUM 4 Pin XLR, I used a special 4 Pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter (No Cable) that Double Helix Cables did for me.

I've used it before on other cans with the Onkyo and when I had the RWAK240 and it always sounds great.

On the WA22 my Ether C sounds wonderful. I can't see how the adapter is the problem here, but it could be.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #3,756 of 4,813
As much as I love the Qp1r hearing it with a Liquid Spark was just so much better. I can't wait till they go on sale because I will be buying one.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,758 of 4,813

As much as I love the Qp1r hearing it with a Liquid Spark was just so much better. I can't wait till they go on sale because I will be buying one.

Is there a price on the Spark yet?

There's been no hint, gleam, flicker, or sparkle of info regarding price or availability yet. Some speculation, but even a spark of factual info :) 

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #3,759 of 4,813

Is there a price on the Spark yet?

I was told multiple times by Warren at Axpona that the Spark price was going to be $499. I triple and quadruple checked because I couldn't believe it. He also told me the size is going to be scaled down to something similar to a Cayin C5.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3,760 of 4,813
Yes I was told at CanJam $499. The sound signature was not going to change but the size was as per prototype going to be smaller. The Spark is just so good and for the price it is a no brainer .

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #3,761 of 4,813

I was told multiple times by Warren at Axpona that the Spark price was going to be $499. I triple and quadruple checked because I couldn't believe it. He also told me the size is going to be scaled down to something similar to a Cayin C5.

Did they have the Liquid Tungsten at Axpona?

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #3,762 of 4,813
lol! suddenly lots of people in this thread. :D

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #3,763 of 4,813
  Did they have the Liquid Tungsten at Axpona?

Yep. I tell you, that amp is really something with the HE-6. I was listening to Massive Attack on there, and the bass was kicking!

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #3,764 of 4,813
Yep. I tell you, that amp is really something with the HE-6. I was listening to Massive Attack on there, and the bass was kicking!

I only heard it from my Ether-C's but it was great.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #3,765 of 4,813

I only heard it from my Ether-C's but it was great.

The Liquid Tungsten sounds devine, can not wait for it, to be for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back