MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 25, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #3,721 of 4,813

New DUM is softer and more flexible than the old DUM. But stock still works better for portable due to flexibility. 

If you look at the site you'll see that it's the other way around -- the DUM is the more flexible one .....

????  
confused.gif

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #3,723 of 4,813

Hi Bavinck,

Please do you have any update regarding your Chord Mojo vs ETHER C's safe volume settings testing with x Relic x?
First of all, I am an happy owner of both Chord Mojo & ETHER C ( still under burn process 50hours ). Despite having following both threads since several months and with great interest.It is only now I decided to jump in and join. Therefore the newbie, I am is posting is first post...

Here is my theoritical perception. Please feel free to correct or comment.

Assuming that:

- Mrspeakers ETHER C is         92 dBSPL 1mW  & 22 Ohms
- Chord Mojo Line Out Level is  3.1 Vrms   ( equivalent to: 437mW / 141mA rms / 118,4 dBSPL with ETHER C)
- Chord Mojo volume: 1click = 1dB

85 dBSPL -> 34 clicks down from Line Out Level
90 dBSPL -> 29 clicks down from Line Out Level
105 dBSPL->14 clicks down from Line Out Level
115 dBSPL->  4 clicks down from Line Out Level  (1.9Vrms)

Since Mojo colours are sometimes difficult to share or appreciate, I refered the Sound Pressure Levels from Line Out 3 Vrms.I found it more practical.
Regards.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #3,724 of 4,813
Apr 25, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #3,725 of 4,813
And I stand by mine. Much prefer the soft textured flexible fabric outer jacket of the DUM v. the standard "plasticy" standard cable. But in any event, the question of which cable is more suitable for portability is, IMO, not very significant in a headphone which is not very portable in the first place and was not to designed to be a portable. Yes, the Ether C is lighter and more comfortable than its competitors but it is a TOTL headphone and the other positive characteristics of a cable for a headphone of this caliber should take precedence.

As I said earlier, "...coupled with the better sound provided by the DUM cable (the text says they're "pretty sure you'll hear the difference"), the reasonable additional price, and the fact that the Ether C was voiced using the DUM cable, purchasing the DUM cable is the obvious choice."

But it's your call.

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #3,726 of 4,813
And I stand by mine. Much prefer the soft textured flexible fabric outer jacket of the DUM v. the standard "plasticy" standard cable. But in any event, the question of which cable is more suitable for portability is, IMO, not very significant in a headphone which is not very portable in the first place and was not to designed to be a portable. Yes, the Ether C is lighter and more comfortable than its competitors but it is a TOTL headphone and the other positive characteristics of a cable for a headphone of this caliber should take precedence.

As I said earlier, "...coupled with the better sound provided by the DUM cable (the text says they're "pretty sure you'll hear the difference"), the reasonable additional price, and the fact that the Ether C was voiced using the DUM cable, purchasing the DUM cable is the obvious choice."

But it's your call.

Have you tired the original DUM cable that came with the early ETHER C headphones? Mine has a mind of its own! It's insanely stiff and very microphonic and I'm glad Dan and co. decided to update it. The original is, to be blunt, terrible for ergonomics.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #3,727 of 4,813
I got the standard cable and outside of the fact that it's noisy if you move around it's fine. I'm more bothered by the tacky feel of the otherwise comfortable ear pads. They're super supple and comfy, but they feel like clammy skin against my face, which is a little weird. Those are literally the only downsides I've found so far. I'm now running it through a e10k for DAC to a Cayin C5 amp. The bass is just fine for music, but if I want a little extra oomph the C5's bass boost gives it in spades for movies and R&B. Now that it's burned in a bit more I can't see this as a bass light headphone. It has a light sound, but not light in frequency, just light as in not tiring. I've rumbled my head with them.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #3,728 of 4,813
Have you tired the original DUM cable that came with the early ETHER C headphones? Mine has a mind of its own! It's insanely stiff and very microphonic and I'm glad Dan and co. decided to update it. The original is, to be blunt, terrible for ergonomics.

No, never had the pleasure of trying the original DUM. Seems like I didn't miss anything in terms of ergonomics.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,729 of 4,813
No, never had the pleasure of trying the original DUM. Seems like I didn't miss anything in terms of ergonomics.

You're lucky. :)

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #3,730 of 4,813
  I got the standard cable and outside of the fact that it's noisy if you move around it's fine. I'm more bothered by the tacky feel of the otherwise comfortable ear pads. They're super supple and comfy, but they feel like clammy skin against my face, which is a little weird. Those are literally the only downsides I've found so far. I'm now running it through a e10k for DAC to a Cayin C5 amp. The bass is just fine for music, but if I want a little extra oomph the C5's bass boost gives it in spades for movies and R&B. Now that it's burned in a bit more I can't see this as a bass light headphone. It has a light sound, but not light in frequency, just light as in not tiring. I've rumbled my head with them.

If you don't have the DUM cable I would recommend that you think of buying it. I am not a cable guy but the DUM is better than the standard cable. I can't see myself buying a $500 cable but the Dum is better than the standard cable for sure. YMMV for sure but I think it is better and for the price it is a no brainer . That is just my opinion so take it for what is worth. I make my own cables but the DUM is still better than what I have.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #3,731 of 4,813
  If you don't have the DUM cable I would recommend that you think of buying it. I am not a cable guy but the DUM is better than the standard cable. I can't see myself buying a $500 cable but the Dum is better than the standard cable for sure. YMMV for sure but I think it is better and for the price it is a no brainer . That is just my opinion so take it for what is worth. I make my own cables but the DUM is still better than what I have.

I'm thinking about it! Gonna save up for a Mojo most likely first, and for now just enjoy the music :)

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #3,732 of 4,813
I like the Norne cables quite a bit. The Zoetik is nice and balanced with a "golden" tone. The Draug 2 is good also with a warmer overall signature. 
Wywires red are a good pairing with the Ether C

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #3,734 of 4,813
Hello fellow Head-Fiers,

First time poster, long time reader.

Just wanted to chime in on my newly acquired Ether C v1.1 and how I think it compares with the Audeze LCD-XC and the LCD-3C.

The Ether C seemed like the perfect closed headphone to supplement my existing closed headphone assortment, the T5Pv2, MDR-Z7 and LCD-XC. All of which I enjoy for different reasons.

First things first. The Ether C is a beautiful headphone, it is just stunning to look at and more importantly it wears like there is nothing on your head at all. The weight being the key here...

And unlike other headphones I own like the LCD-3C and LCD-XC you don't need to fiddle around with it forever for it to feel snug and comfortable.

The sound these cans produce is just addicting, I couldn't put them down! 

The first thing that immediately blew me away was the sound stage. I mean it has a wider, and more open stereo image than some open backs headphones I have heard! The spatial cues and imaging are off the charts good on the Ether C.

Isolation : quite honestly maybe the very best isolation I have heard in a closed headphone. How they pulled that off and making them sound so open is beyond me.

I didn’t know that planars could have the speed, crispness and instrument separation of TOTL dynamic headphones… amazing. No matter how complex and layered the recording was the Ether C handled and reproduced the sound beautifully.

The midrange is just incredible, detailed and full bodied. The midrange could be the highlight of this headphones sound.

Highs are never piercing or harsh unlike Audeze’s Fazor revision planar driver which can make you want to blink or wince your eyes at times with that 10-20khz spike they have.

Vocals and highs sound so smooth and lifelike in detail but aren’t veiled or harsh whatsoever, at least not with my reference rig, the Woo WA22 and PS Audio Direct Stream DAC.

The bass, hits low… real low when called upon by the recording, but there isn't any over emphasis or bloom.

If there is a gripe I have with the Ether C is that it lacks slightly in bass quantity, bass quality on the other hand might just be the best I've heard in a Planar Magnetic headphone yet.

By the end of my first lengthy listening session the bass had already slightly settled in just a bit and sounded more rich and full.

Playing frequency test tracks the Ether C went all the way down to 20hz with ease and no audible drop off in subterranean bass.

Unfortunately, the pairing of the Ether C and my portable rig, the Onkyo DP-X1 is terrible. Sounds like a different headphone. Bright and harsh, and completely lacking in bass.

Makes me wish I didn't sell the RWAK240+ just to hear it with the Ether C...

Overall across the board it makes the Audeze LCD-XC and LCD-3C sound slow and bloated in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Audeze headphones for what they are, they're a fun listen... but the Ether C when fully broken in is probably going to become my reference closed Planar if it isn't already!

The synergy with the WA22 is just superb and I had a hard time putting them down. I kept telling me myself... one more song!

Lastly the tuning of the pads is just perfect from the factory and is well balanced. I don’t foresee myself adjusting the sound signature with the tuning pads until my Ether C’s are fully broken in at least! And I’ve yet to try the flat pads as well.

Well done Mr. Speakers on a world class headphone!

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #3,735 of 4,813
That's a hell of a first post. And quite the collection of top notch headphones too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back