MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 24, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #3,122 of 4,813
  Can anyone give some feedback to how the Ether C compares in frequency reponse to the HD600?

I personally find the HD600 actually perfect except for the low sub extension. (Mine are felt modded too so few dB less bass few dB more highs) and I LOVE it.

I have both.  I've had the HD600 for 10 years.  But now I haven't listened to it much since getting the ETHER-C....  Anyhow, I will try some A/B to give some impression.  My HD600 also has the same mod as yours.

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #3,123 of 4,813
I PM'd the files but my HD600 is unmodded.

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #3,124 of 4,813
I own both and no way is the stock Alpha Dog brighter than Ether C, pretty sure Dan and others that own both will agree with that. If you remove one or two of the doggietreats then you can get bright, but with the stock two doggie treats configuration, most people will say AD leans on the dark side.

Maybe you listened to a modded AD?

When I reviewed the Alpha Dog, is was a very early model. I can't say how it sounds now, or whatever tuning has been done since. All I know is that the treble range on the Alpha Dog was absolutely brighter than the Ether C sold now. Brighter, and harsher. How is the 'Doggie treats' not additional tuning from it's pure, default state (which is what I heard)? Fact is, yours would be more altered than what Dan sold as the AD back then.

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #3,125 of 4,813
When I reviewed the Alpha Dog, is was a very early model. I can't say how it sounds now, or whatever tuning has been done since. All I know is that the treble range on the Alpha Dog was absolutely brighter than the Ether C sold now. Brighter, and harsher. How is the 'Doggie treats' not additional tuning from it's pure, default state (which is what I heard)? Fact is, yours would be more altered than what Dan sold as the AD back then.

The version I was sold came with a default configuration of two doggie treats and I suspect, so did Delayeed's and that's why he said it was dark. I was unaware early releases had no doggie treats because to my knowledge, a change in tuning wasn't announced like the 1.1 version of the Ethers. 
If there was an announced change, neither of us is really wrong because we were speaking of our personal experiences.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #3,126 of 4,813
Back then, the only tuning available was with the vary bass tuning hex screw or whatever it was called. Something I didn't touch. Doggie treats weren't even a thing back then. If it's anything like the felt pads used for the Ether C, then I can of course see how the AD became a warm can. I always felt it was neutral with a slightly bright upper range, and any additional warmth would just put it back to neutral, to slightly warm. I can see where the confusion came from if that were the case.

Bear in mind when I say bright, that has nothing do with lean bass or anything. It just means the treble was elevated, if slightly above a neutral point. Plenty of bright headphones with bombastic bass like Ultrasones or Beyer DT990s. bright =/= lean. The Alpha Dog even back then had wonderful bass.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #3,127 of 4,813
Glad you enjoyed them!

At CanJam we were showing 1.1 with no tuning pads installed so that was the brightest they can be without removing the felt.

The tuning pads work to soften the highs, taking them down up to 4db or more. For those who are super sibilance sensitive use 1 white pad to start. The white operates at a slightly lower frequency and will reduce the entire sibilance band.

So the way to think of it is that you can dial down the highs to for your taste, it's super simple, effective and easy to get the tone you want.

After 100hrs burn in, I can say that I was wrong and Dan plus others have been right all along. These cans are not sibilant. I don't even use any of the tuning pads. Even with no tuning pads, I would call the sound sig a touch on the warm side (that may just be my set).

I am using similar gear to test the Ether Cs with the same songs. I wonder if the samples I listened to at CanJam SG had been burnt in properly for me to call out the sibilance.

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #3,130 of 4,813
Hmm. I find it really hard to analyze the recordings. Seems like the Ether C has maybe 1.5dB of extra mid-high frequencies and has a little less bass than the original song.
What confuses me is that the HD600 recording sounds veiled as **** while the Ether C sounds almost opposite. (way brighter).

Of course its impossible to get the experience via recording as actually hearing them so nobody should take that as a weighty impression.

Cool though. The Ether C definetly sounds more alive.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #3,131 of 4,813
  Hmm. I find it really hard to analyze the recordings. Seems like the Ether C has maybe 1.5dB of extra mid-high frequencies and has a little less bass than the original song.
What confuses me is that the HD600 recording sounds veiled as **** while the Ether C sounds almost opposite. (way brighter).

Of course its impossible to get the experience via recording as actually hearing them so nobody should take that as a weighty impression.

Cool though. The Ether C definetly sounds more alive.

That's pretty much the frequency response I hear.......HD600 will sound muddy if you directly compare it to the Ether C, but's it's not a muddy headphone. Ether C also has a better soundstage and much better treble clarity, which I believe you get an idea of from the files but there are too many other variables preventing you from getting the full Ether C soundstage experience.....top of the list is of course the headphones you're listening to the files on. 

Still, you asked for a comparison of the frequency response and hopefully you get a rough idea.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #3,132 of 4,813
Of course yeah. I got the idea good enough to know that I will most likely very much enjoy them (+ can customize the highs with pads too)
I was about to comment on that soundstage but I thought it was due to the added high frequency content and not actual soundstage width, BUT whatever it was
the craziest thing was the Ether C seemed to have a bigger soundstage, which is just something I did not except and I'm almost terrified how wide it sounded.
( in a really, really good way :D )

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,133 of 4,813
Well after CanJam I listened to a lot of cans and I have to say I made the right choice with the Ether-C's. I would have to pay triple the price or more to find what I think is better.

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3,135 of 4,813
  Glad to hear that. You concider them as an endgame grade headphone?

Pretty darn close. That is until the EtherStats come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back