MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 24, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #3,136 of 4,813
Oh yeah... those things haha. Can't wait for peoples impressions on those :D

BTW saw you have the Alpha Dogs as well. To me they were around 2-3dB too dark in the mids/highs. Does the Ether C
in your opinion deliver those frequencies more "attention grabbingly" so to speak?

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #3,137 of 4,813
  Oh yeah... those things haha. Can't wait for peoples impressions on those :D

BTW saw you have the Alpha Dogs as well. To me they were around 2-3dB too dark in the mids/highs. Does the Ether C
in your opinion deliver those frequencies more "attention grabbingly" so to speak?

A LOT more imo. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #3,140 of 4,813
  Heck yeah. Then they are THE headphone I've been looking for.

The Ether-C's are miles ahead of my Dogs. I just sold my Dogs and might miss them a bit as they were my first real headphones. They are good and the Primes are better but the C's are a class above. IMHO YMMV.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #3,141 of 4,813

A LOT more imo. 

I agree. If you go from Dogs to Ether C, the Ether C will sound bright at first because you ears have to adjust. After longer listening though, it is obvious the Ether C has some incredible clarity for a closed headphone. The highs sound very extended and not nearly as dark as the Dogs.

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #3,142 of 4,813
Hi everyone. I'm looking in on this thread following a couple recommendations on another thread to consider the Ether Cs as a closed-back option for my AK380/Chord Dave setup. My current headphones are HE1000, HD600, HD800 & Shure SRH1540. I recently bought the 1540 after hearing it demoed next to the Oppo 3 with a Chord Hugo (it was on a special offer price) but am wondering whether I can get a significant bump up in quality from a top tier closed-back like the Ether C. Can anyone comment on how the Ether C compares to the 1540, and whether the Ether would be a good match with the Dave? Thanks.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #3,143 of 4,813
Hi everyone. I'm looking in on this thread following a couple recommendations on another thread to consider the Ether Cs as a closed-back option for my AK380/Chord Dave setup. My current headphones are HE1000, HD600, HD800 & Shure SRH1540. I recently bought the 1540 after hearing it demoed next to the Oppo 3 with a Chord Hugo (it was on a special offer price) but am wondering whether I can get a significant bump up in quality from a top tier closed-back like the Ether C. Can anyone comment on how the Ether C compares to the 1540, and whether the Ether would be a good match with the Dave? Thanks.

I own both the 1540 and the Ether C. The first thing is detail, the Ether C just trounces the 1540, you will hear so much more with the Ether C. Bass is much more emphasized on the 1540, big time, that took a bit of getting used to and patience to allow the Ether C to burn in (I'm not much of a believer of burn in, but it's real on the Ether C). Comfort is a huge plus on the Ether C, the 1540 headband just digs into the top of my head after a while and becomes painful. There is none of that on the Ether C, the headband is just so comfortable. The Ether C's clamping force is a touch higher, but not much. The ear pads are about a tie for comfort, with the 1540 a bit hotter, not much. Weight wise, I really didn't notice much difference especially with the Ether C's suspension.

I can't tell you how it would match with the Dave, sorry. The Ether C pairs well with my DX90, Mjolnir 2, wile the Asgard 2 is a bit bright, tube amps really pair with the Ether C. I found this to be the case with my M2, my buddy's Vali 2 (he nearly didn't get that back) and the Cavali Liquid Glass (just dern).

For me, the Ether C was a significant upgrade in sound quality and comfort. I sometimes miss that extra bass from the 1540, but not much as for me the detail and comfort outweigh emphasized bass. I do like the case from the 1540 better, I took the extra ear pads out and used that area to store my DX90 and SE535s. I have some ideas if Dan is reading to improve the case, double zipper, D ring on one side, web strap on the other, make the bottom flat and the sides not so curvy for an area to store the cable, DAP, etc. I'd buy an upgraded case in a heartbeat.

Hope that helps.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #3,144 of 4,813
The Ether C is a stratosphere apart from the 1540. The only thing I prefer on the 1540 is the Alcantara pads.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #3,145 of 4,813

I have to agree with everything said about the 1540 and ether. The 1540 is very similar to the beyerdynamic DT770, except the for that stupid headband on the 1540! What were the thinking? The ether c (once burned in) is much more detailed and accurate. Much less distortion.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #3,146 of 4,813

If I were to visit my dad in St. Pete I'll give you a holler. PM me so I can find you again. My brother should be coming home from the sand pit soon and I may be able to schedule a visit. I'll definitely be bringing my Ether C's with me.

x2! Would love to organize a South Florida listening session
gs1000.gif
 I'll bring my Audeze EL-8 to the party.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #3,147 of 4,813
  I have some ideas if Dan is reading to improve the case, double zipper, D ring on one side, web strap on the other, make the bottom flat and the sides not so curvy for an area to store the cable, DAP, etc. I'd buy an upgraded case in a heartbeat.

Hi...I sent this to Support at Mr. Speakers, asked them to pass along to Dan. We'll see! (Why am I interested? I own an EL-8C. I'm eyeing either the LCD-XC or Ether-C)

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #3,148 of 4,813
I have some ideas if Dan is reading to improve the case, double zipper, D ring on one side, web strap on the other, make the bottom flat and the sides not so curvy for an area to store the cable, DAP, etc. I'd buy an upgraded case in a heartbeat.

Hope that helps.

Per my post above, here is Dan's(fast!) reply:

Thanks Chris,

Actually, it IS flat on the end and you can set it on the table as a stand… But if we get rid of the curves, it becomes way bulkier and takes more room in a back pack…

There is an area inside to store a dap and cable already. I keep a cable and a QPr1, or AK 380, or Mojo, each one fits… We’ll consider a strap or D-Ring.

Dan

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #3,149 of 4,813
I put an empty coffee mug inside my Ether-C case to give it some weight on the bottom and it works great as a stand for them. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #3,150 of 4,813
  I put an empty coffee mug inside my Ether-C case to give it some weight on the bottom and it works great as a stand for them. 

I tried with a full mug (for more weight), but my plan has some issues to work out before I can recommend it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back