MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 22, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,106 of 4,813
Mar 22, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #3,107 of 4,813
The TH900 has a wider soundstage, IIRC, but the Ether C is more capable at invoking a sense of depth. Imaging is Ether C all day. It is its best trait. TH900 is obviously well know for imaging as well, though I didn't get the same sense of wonder as I did with the Ether C.

I second your opinion about the TH900. What good does Imaging do, if it does mainly image tones in the lower spectrum and in the upper frequency range? For Classical or Acoustical Music that used a real, unamplified piano it was really clear that there is a problem. Sounded thin as a razor blade cutting ice crystals. Still suboptimal for EDM, that relied on mid tones, e.g.: https://midwestcollective.bandcamp.com/track/tides . Although a pair of impressive headphone, I sold the TH600, Sold the TH900, and not looking back.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #3,108 of 4,813
  They're bigger and have notches in them so they fit around the screws that hold the driver down.

Here's a video by Dan (YT: ETHER and ETHER C 1.1 Update)
embed.svg

Looks like the Ethr C still has the white pads so it's a 1.0.  I'll check the Ether when I get home later tonight.  Thanks!

Oh please, not again with the TH900. What good does Imaging do, if it does only image tones in the lower spectrum and in the upper frequency range? There was no mid imaging, because there were no mids. You could throw the TH900 into the trash for Classical or Acoustical Music that used a real, unamplified piano. And they were suboptimal at best for EDM, that relied on mid tones, e.g.: https://midwestcollective.bandcamp.com/track/tides . Sold the TH600, Sold the TH900, not looking back.

LOL!  Someone strike a nerve?  Tell us how you REALLY feel!  
darthsmile.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #3,109 of 4,813
  I spent some good time with the Ether and Ether C over the last week and here's my thoughts on metal/rock:

Ether C vs Ether is no contest.  The Ether is WAY better for metal and rock than the Ether C.  The Ether C is WAY better than the Ether for EDM.

At one point this weekend, I was in a room with @Hansotek and we had both Ethers plugged into a Mojo listening to various songs.  We both agreed pretty unanimously to the statement above.  It's so unambiguous that I'm relatively certain that they were tuned that way on purpose.

Ether C vs PM-3 is no contest.  Ether C is superior in almost every way.

The Ether C is, as MLE said, a great at everything and amazing at much.  Metal and Rock isn't its strength, but that doesn't mean that it's weak at it.  It's certainly good enough to trounce the PM-3 soundly.  All IMO, obviously.

Awwwwww Crap!  I have to stop listening to rock and I don't like EDM that much.

Kidding - at @Stillhart's expense.  I've settled for the time being on V1.1 with 2 black pads per side.  It takes the edge off the upper registers and tames sibilance.  Rock sounds better this way.  Acoustic music, especially vocals sound much better to me this way.  Actually, all music sounds better to me this way.  For hyper critical listening, I may pull one or both pads, but seriously, I don't listen that way much any more - I listen almost exclusively for relaxation and enjoyment.  The 2 black pads work well for me - I tend toward a more laid back, slightly rolled off sound signature anyway.  2 black pads is far from rolled off or veiled, details are still very present and abundant, but again, for me the sharp edge is smoothed over a bit.  Much nicer for my tastes.  Oddly, last time I tried the single white tuning pad, it was not a match for me.  I'll experiment again at some point and see if I like it any better.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #3,110 of 4,813
  After experimentation with the various filter combinations, I too elected to go with the two black filters per channel.  To my ears/brain, that combination seemed to best convey a mid-hall listening experience...such that I hear sufficient detail to experience nuances, (the ring/"buzz" of brass played loudly, brush of the bow on the strings, etc.), however I still enjoy that warmth/lushness that some distance from the front edge of the stage allows...I also agree that however nice and mellow the white pads are while in place, those nuances are absent...  

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #3,111 of 4,813
I spent some good time with the Ether and Ether C over the last week and here's my thoughts on metal/rock:

Ether C vs Ether is no contest.  The Ether is WAY better for metal and rock than the Ether C.  The Ether C is WAY better than the Ether for EDM.

At one point this weekend, I was in a room with @Hansotek
 and we had both Ethers plugged into a Mojo listening to various songs.  We both agreed pretty unanimously to the statement above.  It's so unambiguous that I'm relatively certain that they were tuned that way on purpose.

Ether C vs PM-3 is no contest.  Ether C is superior in almost every way.

The Ether C is, as MLE said, a great at everything and amazing at much.  Metal and Rock isn't its strength, but that doesn't mean that it's weak at it.  It's certainly good enough to trounce the PM-3 soundly.  All IMO, obviously.

Agreed on all points. I didn't even realize how amazing the Ether-C is with EDM until you tossed on some of those tracks. I got a taste of it at RMAF, but those tracks you played just sounded SICK.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #3,112 of 4,813
Agreed on all points. I didn't even realize how amazing the Ether-C is with EDM until you tossed on some of those tracks. I got a taste of it at RMAF, but those tracks you played just sounded SICK.

Dan turned me on to Steve Bug check it out really good old school EDM.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #3,114 of 4,813
Aww snap... Time to start saving. Didn't enjoy the Alpha Dogs, a little too dark/neutral for me. Can't wait to get my hands on these :wink:

Saw your comments on the Alpha Dog thread and how you turned the bass down. I definitely think Ether C is the headphone for you

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #3,116 of 4,813
Can anyone give some feedback to how the Ether C compares in frequency reponse to the HD600?

I personally find the HD600 actually perfect except for the low sub extension. (Mine are felt modded too so few dB less bass few dB more highs) and I LOVE it.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #3,117 of 4,813
  Can anyone give some feedback to how the Ether C compares in frequency reponse to the HD600?

I personally find the HD600 actually perfect except for the low sub extension. (Mine are felt modded too so few dB less bass few dB more highs) and I LOVE it.

I have both here, I'll check later tonight.  Off to a The Sword concert!

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #3,118 of 4,813
Aww snap... Time to start saving. Didn't enjoy the Alpha Dogs, a little too dark/neutral for me. Can't wait to get my hands on these :wink:

Considering most people find AD to be neutral bright, this is surprising. You must have some very lean tastes, which I feel don't mix well with planars in general. I doubt the Ether C will suit you either, as it is warmer than the AD, IIRC.

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #3,119 of 4,813
I own both and no way is the stock Alpha Dog brighter than Ether C, pretty sure Dan and others that own both will agree with that. If you remove one or two of the doggietreats then you can get bright, but with the stock two doggie treats configuration, most people will say AD leans on the dark side.

Maybe you listened to a modded AD?

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #3,120 of 4,813

I've recorded 27 headphones now in my studio with a binaural mic that I built, I can send you audio files of the HD600 in a PM, the Ether C, and the original audio file so you can compare the relative frequencies of each headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back