MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 22, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #3,091 of 4,813
  I spent some good time with the Ether and Ether C over the last week and here's my thoughts on metal/rock:

Ether C vs Ether is no contest.  The Ether is WAY better for metal and rock than the Ether C.  The Ether C is WAY better than the Ether for EDM.

At one point this weekend, I was in a room with @Hansotek and we had both Ethers plugged into a Mojo listening to various songs.  We both agreed pretty unanimously to the statement above.  It's so unambiguous that I'm relatively certain that they were tuned that way on purpose.

Ether C vs PM-3 is no contest.  Ether C is superior in almost every way.

The Ether C is, as MLE said, a great at everything and amazing at much.  Metal and Rock isn't its strength, but that doesn't mean that it's weak at it.  It's certainly good enough to trounce the PM-3 soundly.  All IMO, obviously.

I didn't expect this , but I'll still get the ether c since I prefer Close back.

good news is it will still sound good for metal, but I might try both out of curiosity ^_^

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #3,092 of 4,813
Did you try all the tuning pad options with rock and metal?
popcorn.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #3,093 of 4,813
  Did you try all the tuning pad options with rock and metal?
popcorn.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

No actually, the units I have don't have the tuning pads with them.  Based on MLE's review, I'd think the tuning pads could help move the Ether C towards better rock and metal performance.  I'd be happy to try if I can get my hands on some pads at some point.

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,095 of 4,813
No actually, the units I have don't have the tuning pads with them.  Based on MLE's review, I'd think the tuning pads could help move the Ether C towards better rock and metal performance.  I'd be happy to try if I can get my hands on some pads at some point.

Yes, I have the ether c 1.1 so I wonder if my experience is different than yours.

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #3,096 of 4,813
Someone was crazy...err...kind enough to sell me an Ether C upgraded with 1.1 pads and a DUM cable here on the site.  Looking forward to getting it!  Plus I ordered a Q-Audio Cable with Ether adapter for comparison with the DUM cable.  Really looking forward to listening! 
popcorn.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #3,097 of 4,813
Yes, I have the ether c 1.1 so I wonder if my experience is different than yours.

We all hear differently.  We could have used the exact same headphones and still disagreed and that's perfectly okay.  If  you're enjoying the Ether C with rock and metal, more power to you!  It'd be easier than agonizing over which one to buy like me.  lol

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #3,098 of 4,813

We all hear differently.  We could have used the exact same headphones and still disagreed and that's perfectly okay.  If  you're enjoying the Ether C with rock and metal, more power to you!  It'd be easier than agonizing over which one to buy like me.  lol

The music is all that matters!  Go with what you like! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #3,099 of 4,813

Definitely. I am not agonizing at all, I love talking about headphones and hearing about other peoples subjective impressions. I think my ability to articulate what I hear is made better by talking with people about what they hear on the same gear. I am not looking to you to see what I should hear, rather curious in the comparision.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #3,100 of 4,813

Or you can be a insane audophile like me and buy both the ETHER and ETHER C lol just joking.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #3,102 of 4,813
I know you have your eyes on that new Ether Estat.

Yes but to hear the magic of the ETHER Estat, I will need to get a good electrostatic amp. And when you add the price for the cans, you are talking a price I can not afford right now. I am hoping later on this year, after I find another job. This hobby is great, but it drains the wallet.:)

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #3,103 of 4,813
Definitely. I am not agonizing at all, I love talking about headphones and hearing about other peoples subjective impressions. I think my ability to articulate what I hear is made better by talking with people about what they hear on the same gear. I am not looking to you to see what I should hear, rather curious in the comparision.

I think we're on the same page here.  
cool.gif
  I'm pretty sure when I did the comparison it was with the 1.0 units.  I have a pair of both Ethers here with me now again, but they're different units.  I'll try to pull the pads and see if they're 1.1 and try the comparison again.  Is the new foam a different color so it's easy to tell?

Or you can be a insane audophile like me and buy both the ETHER and ETHER C lol just joking.

Honestly, having both is pretty awesome.  They have different strengths and they complement eachother really well.  I think Dan should offer a discounted bundle for crazy folks like us.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #3,104 of 4,813

Honestly, having both is pretty awesome.  They have different strengths and they complement eachother really well.  I think Dan should offer a discounted bundle for crazy folks like us.

All aboard the Ether/Ether-C couple train!

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #3,105 of 4,813

I think we're on the same page here.  
cool.gif
  I'm pretty sure when I did the comparison it was with the 1.0 units.  I have a pair of both Ethers here with me now again, but they're different units.  I'll try to pull the pads and see if they're 1.1 and try the comparison again.  Is the new foam a different color so it's easy to tell?

I have only seem the 1.1, and I have not pulled off my pads. The 1.1 have pad that go into the headphone pad without pulling it off - so that would be a sure fire ID.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back