MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 25, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,151 of 4,813
Per my post above, here is Dan's(fast!) reply:

Thanks Chris,

Actually, it IS flat on the end and you can set it on the table as a stand… But if we get rid of the curves, it becomes way bulkier and takes more room in a back pack…

There is an area inside to store a dap and cable already. I keep a cable and a QPr1, or AK 380, or Mojo, each one fits… We’ll consider a strap or D-Ring.

Dan

All true, I'd just like a bit more room is all. Can't please everyone and it's a great case all the same. I don't think it would add that much more bulk. But hey, he does listen!

Never knew you could use it as a stand, I'll have to try that.

Back to my cable making.

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #3,152 of 4,813

A quick test...........

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #3,153 of 4,813
150 hrs. These guys are indeed filling in nicely. There is something so real about the way this headphone sounds. I always hear people describe the hd800 as a window into the music, that is how I am starting to feel about the ether carbon.

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #3,154 of 4,813
After careful comparaison I decided to keept the HE-X instead of the HE1000 for my OPEN-Back headphone.  
And now, for my next CLOSED ISOLATING Headphone, I am considering very seriously the ETHER-C.

Could someone tell me is the ETHER-C is more or less efficient than the HE-X ? and by which margin ?  Also, how does their sound signature compare ? 

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #3,155 of 4,813
After careful comparaison I decided to keept the HE-X instead of the HE1000 for my OPEN-Back headphone.  
And now, for my next CLOSED ISOLATING Headphone, I am considering very seriously the ETHER-C.

Could someone tell me is the ETHER-C is more or less efficient than the HE-X ? and by which margin ?  Also, how does their sound signature compare ? 

ETHER C - 22 Ohm, 92 dB sensitivity

HE-X - 25 Ohm, 103 dB sensitivity

The HE-X is more efficient to drive. I've driven the ETHER-C from the AK240, no problem. Sorry, haven't heard the HE-X.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #3,156 of 4,813
ETHER C - 22 Ohm, 92 dB sensitivity

HE-X - 25 Ohm, 103 dB sensitivity

The HE-X is more efficient to drive. I've driven the ETHER-C from the AK240, no problem. Sorry, haven't heard the HE-X.

thanks for the info.  So the ETHER seems to be more like the HE-1000 in term of efficiency ! :frowning2:

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #3,158 of 4,813
Has anyone driven the Ether C from one if the "Lower End" AK Daps - specifically the 100, 120, 100ii or 120ii?

Do those daps drive the Ether C adequately?

I've used the AK100ii with it.  Not a ton of headroom but it plenty loud.  The bigger issue is that I can hear the weaknesses of the DAC in that unit.  I think a 120ii with two chips and a lower noise floor should be better with something as resolving as the Ether C.  (The 120ii has the same DAC and Amp as the 240.)

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #3,159 of 4,813

thanks for the info.  So the ETHER seems to be more like the HE-1000 in term of efficiency ! :frowning2:

No...in real world applications that he-1000 needs a fairly strong desktop amp to really flesh out it's signature. Mjo2 on high gain works reasonably well and the Rags power is not wasted at all on the hek. 

While not as effecient as hex, the Ether c just needs a decent amp to get up to speed. The Qp1r dap drives the Ether C very well. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,160 of 4,813
+1 on QP1R on driving the C's. The Liquid Spark added in the mix is just awesome IMHO. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #3,162 of 4,813
I find my new (used) iFi micro iDSD does a good job with the C. I switch between Normal and Turbo modes (mid and high gain), depending on the track. For example, EDM and hip hop really benefit from Turbo mode. Bass is way more extended and seems to have a lot more flesh at same volume levels as Normal mode.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #3,163 of 4,813
I find my new (used) iFi micro iDSD does a good job with the C. I switch between Normal and Turbo modes (mid and high gain), depending on the track. For example, EDM and hip hop really benefit from Turbo mode. Bass is way more extended and seems to have a lot more flesh at same volume levels as Normal mode.

It just kills me when people say they are bass light. I think too many people think there is more bass in music than there is. In the late 70's and early 80's there was not a sub woofer at any concert I went to.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #3,164 of 4,813

It just kills me when people say they are bass light. I think too many people think there is more bass in music than there is. In the late 70's and early 80's there was not a sub woofer at any concert I went to.

what the music actually sounds like and what people enjoy aren't necessarily the same.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #3,165 of 4,813

Where exactly did I say the C is bass light?

My post was more about the iDSD than anything else. Just saying that it does well with the C and that the different gains have different effects with different music. If I implied anything about the C lacking bass, apologies. I don't feel that way at all, and I'm only about 50 hours in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back