MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 20, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,146 of 4,813
Thanks! Been a lurker for years, Ether-C's finally pushed me over the edge and it was time to sign up... 
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,147 of 4,813
  Thanks! Been a lurker for years, Ether-C's finally pushed me over the edge and it was time to sign up... 
beerchug.gif

Very cool.  Hope you enjoy many years with the ETHER C! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #2,148 of 4,813
@musicday There were like 4 selling at once a week back but back then I didn't have the money to buy them ( typical ) so I'm just hoping that there'll be people who will be considering to let them go. I just want to get them second hand as I'm a cheap skate and if even little money can be saved I'll go for it and if someone is willing to sell, I'll get them earlier than actually buying them new as I understand that there's a month wait before you get them delivered? And thanks @Khragon let me know, but I'm hoping that I'll find someone soon

I'll sell you mine, but after listening to them for a little over a week, I'd say they are worth double, so how's $2,500 sound?? 
wink.gif

If you are not wanting to wait the couple weeks lead time (and pay the full price), I think Drew and Moon Audio had a few pairs in stock last I checked!

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2,150 of 4,813
I'll sell you mine, but after listening to them for a little over a week, I'd say they are worth double, so how's $2,500 sound?? :wink:

If you are not wanting to wait the couple weeks lead time (and pay the full price), I think Drew and Moon Audio had a few pairs in stock last I checked!

MattTCG you have competition!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 20, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #2,152 of 4,813
Hi, could someone offer some advice.
I am considering getting the ether c headphones. I have the idsd micro currently but am thinking of getting a better amp down the line when I can afford it.
Do you think it would be a good idea to get the four pin balanced cable along with a 1/4 inch adaptor to cover future upgradability. I am thinking about the violectric v281. As I feel this will match my lcd3 nicely too.
Can anyone recommend a good adaptor, and does anyone think that using the adaptor with 1/4 inch plug and having a balanced cable will have any negative effect on Sound when running single ended?
Cheers

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #2,153 of 4,813
I am considering getting the ether c headphones. I have the idsd micro currently but am thinking of getting a better amp down the line when I can afford it.
Do you think it would be a good idea to get the four pin balanced cable along with a 1/4 inch adaptor to cover future upgradability. I am thinking about the violectric v281. As I feel this will match my lcd3 nicely too.
Can anyone recommend a good adaptor, and does anyone think that using the adaptor with 1/4 inch plug and having a balanced cable will have any negative effect on Sound when running single ended?
Cheers

Don't worry to much about the idsd pairing with Ether C. I've heard, I've owned and enjoyed it. That's a really nice dac in the idsd and the headphone amp is quite decent. There is some scale in the Ether C though. It will be ready for you when you want to upgrade the amp. Just hang on the idsd for the dac. 
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #2,154 of 4,813
  I joined the Ether-C club this week!

Cheers to Dan for an incredible contribution to the community. I am absolutely thrilled with the sound I am getting out of these guys.

After a bit of experimentation, the following setup is what I've settled on for the moment:

Ether-C
+
Silver Dragon Cable (1/4" Furutech)
+
AUNE T1 MK2 - DAC Only Mode (Genalex Golden Lion)
+
Woo Audio WA6-SE (with Sophia)
+
Amarra for TIDAL

IMHO, I find the tube amps I have really round out the sound and enhance back the musicality. Listening through solid states is EXTREMELY detailed, but I find the sound a little too detailed (crazy I know). I always lean towards warm, rich audio with a bit of body, even if it knocks off a little detail. Don't mistake my words to imply that there is little to no detail with the tubes, detail is still extremely clear and separation is phenomenal with the above setup.

Cool.  And I think the ETHER-C tends on the warm side itself - at least compared to the open ETHER.  How do you feel about the bass?  That's my only concern with these cans, as I think there is going be a dropoff below 80 Hz, again compared to the open ETHER.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,155 of 4,813

I'll sell you mine, but after listening to them for a little over a week, I'd say they are worth double, so how's $2,500 sound?? 
wink.gif

actually, Moon Audio might be attending the Carolina CanFest 5 this year, I'm hoping they bring a Ether C with their rep! 

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,156 of 4,813
Cheers

No negative with the cable, and you could just make your own, ask me how I know:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/4470#post_12117872

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2,157 of 4,813

Cool.  And I think the ETHER-C tends on the warm side itself - at least compared to the open ETHER.  How do you feel about the bass?  That's my only concern with these cans, as I think there is going be a dropoff below 80 Hz, again compared to the open ETHER.

I feel the bass is a little light for my tastes when paired with the few solid state amps I've run through them. However, when paired with my WA6-SE, the bass (and especially the sub-bass) really shines. I do not think it would satisfy a major basshead (I don't feel the ear cups bouncing on the sides of my heads), but I do feel like I am hearing the lower frequencies the way the artist/producer intended. Extremely clean, clear, pronounced bass with awesome separation. Never muddy. A track I always use to test sub bass is David Gray's Please Forgive Me. The last 30-60 seconds have an extremely low sweep. On the ETHER-C's, it is not rattling my skull, but it is absolutely there.

That being said, I have not experimented with the filters included with the headphones. Perhaps these combined with a solid state would provide a similar amount of bass extension.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #2,158 of 4,813

I feel the bass is a little light for my tastes when paired with the few solid state amps I've run through them. However, when paired with my WA6-SE, the bass (and especially the sub-bass) really shines. I do not think it would satisfy a major basshead (I don't feel the ear cups bouncing on the sides of my heads), but I do feel like I am hearing the lower frequencies the way the artist/producer intended. Extremely clean, clear, pronounced bass with awesome separation. Never muddy. A track I always use to test sub bass is David Gray's Please Forgive Me. The last 30-60 seconds have an extremely low sweep. On the ETHER-C's, it is not rattling my skull, but it is absolutely there.

That being said, I have not experimented with the filters included with the headphones. Perhaps these combined with a solid state would provide a similar amount of bass extension.

Mine should be coming soon, seeing Dan's message from a couple days back.  I went with the ETHER-C because the only other closed can contender (by my criteria) was the TH-900 which I felt was too bass-heavy.  That said, I do expect the ETHER-C to be light on the bottom end.  I think by 40 Hz they're at -6db vs the open ETHERs....

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #2,159 of 4,813
Been lurking since before release and finally just bit the bullet and ordered.  (Can't even count the number of times I had them in my shopping cart and then backed out)

Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow (ordered from an Australian retailer).

Cannot wait to pair them with my WA7 and listen to the magic.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #2,160 of 4,813
Mine should be coming soon, seeing Dan's message from a couple days back.  I went with the ETHER-C because the only other closed can contender (by my criteria) was the TH-900 which I felt was too bass-heavy.  That said, I do expect the ETHER-C to be light on the bottom end.  I think by 40 Hz they're at -6db vs the open ETHERs....

See Dan's post for specifics on bass for reference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/777735/mrspeakers-ether-c-review-announcement-a-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-flagship-from-mrspeakers/1710#post_12169428

Users who are viewing this thread

Back