MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 18, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #2,131 of 4,813
Jan 18, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #2,132 of 4,813
  Yes Ashville is nice. My Sister and Brother-in-Law have a home there. Lot's of great restaurants in town and just a beautiful part of the country. I didn't know Sierra Nevada was made there got to visit Sis again.

They only recently setup a brewery there. Knoxville was in the running but our stupid beer taxes in TN ruined that. If we cut out beer taxes in half, we would still be the 3rd highest and it's cost us Sierra Nevada, Stone and at least one other big brewery and the jobs and the taxes and the supporting businesses. ugh, makes me so angry.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,133 of 4,813
  I'm curious about how the two compare in terms of overall quality of sound, which one images better, which may have a faster dynamic shift, which has a more even tone, things of that nature

At the moment, my HE 4 can be too aggressive at times, an tends to be a little to hot on the top. That an there are some missing mirco details in the lower mid range, that I'd like to get. The HE X an LCD 2F both brought out a touch more lower mid range detail than my HE 4 [while the HE 4 had them beat in the upper an central mids] at the end of the day I want it all xD 

So I'm curious how the Lawton Modded TH 900 compares to the Ether C in terms of detail, speed an overall performance, I'm really in the market for an End Game Closed back an something to upgrade my HE 4 with. 

My He 4 is very modded an it's been through some "rough" patches so I'm concerned about how much longer it has. Ideally I'd like to get an upgrade but also get something that I can have a little more... faith in. Something that's going to age better than my HE 4 has/is ofc part of the reason it's not "aged" as well as I'd like is due to past circumstances, but aside from getting an HE 6 [Which I think would also require an amp Upgrade] I'm contemplating going with the Ether C or Lawton Modded Th 900 as a long term upgrade to what I have currently 

OK, I'm definitely a huge supporter of the Lawton mods to begin with - and what they did to the TH900 was just as I expected.  Bass tightened up (not that it's loose/flabbby to begin with) and along with his angle pads it was a good upgrade.  Now, that said, I'm 54 years old and to MY ears they sounded no better than my LA7000's.  And to be honest, after adding the deeper than stock Teak cups to my Denon, I clearly prefer the depth of bass they bring.  Probably would get the same result if you put aftermarket cups on the TH900. 

Never had any issues with treble on any headphone, even the Ultrasone Pro900 that many have likened to "fingernails on a blackboard".  So the TH900 treble issues that some notice were not an issue to me.  I have not heard the Ether C, mind you, but had the open back Ether for over a week and put it head to head with multiple headphones.  The C, and again, I'm taking a leap here, will never compete with the Fostex/Denon line with regards to bass.  Just no.  So if you're trying to decide between the two, they are not very similar in anything other than comfort. 

Personally I'd stick with your LA5K and get an Ether C instead of blowing over a grand on the TH900.  Diminishing returns and all that.  You have young ears so might hear they being better than the D5000 but it won't likely be huge and you'll have $1000 in your pocket to buy something like the Ether C or.................a Dharma (but that's for another thread). 

I owned the HE-4 and the ONLY thing better about it vs a HE-6 was the weight.  And with the Lohb headband pad the HE-6 is plenty comfy, even for me with neck problems. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #2,134 of 4,813

OK, I'm definitely a huge supporter of the Lawton mods to begin with - and what they did to the TH900 was just as I expected.  Bass tightened up (not that it's loose/flabbby to begin with) and along with his angle pads it was a good upgrade.  Now, that said, I'm 54 years old and to MY ears they sounded no better than my LA7000's.  And to be honest, after adding the deeper than stock Teak cups to my Denon, I clearly prefer the depth of bass they bring.  Probably would get the same result if you put aftermarket cups on the TH900. 

Never had any issues with treble on any headphone, even the Ultrasone Pro900 that many have likened to "fingernails on a blackboard".  So the TH900 treble issues that some notice were not an issue to me.  I have not heard the Ether C, mind you, but had the open back Ether for over a week and put it head to head with multiple headphones.  The C, and again, I'm taking a leap here, will never compete with the Fostex/Denon line with regards to bass.  Just no.  So if you're trying to decide between the two, they are not very similar in anything other than comfort. 

Personally I'd stick with your LA5K and get an Ether C instead of blowing over a grand on the TH900.  Diminishing returns and all that.  You have young ears so might hear they being better than the D5000 but it won't likely be huge and you'll have $1000 in your pocket to buy something like the Ether C or.................a Dharma (but that's for another thread). 

I owned the HE-4 and the ONLY thing better about it vs a HE-6 was the weight.  And with the Lohb headband pad the HE-6 is plenty comfy, even for me with neck problems. 

well you know my issue with the HE 6 is Amping, to get an amp running around 8wpc [that I actually want to own] is going to run me around $2000 :/ so unless I can try the HE 6 [any one care to loan me a pair ;3] I'm going to wait an go with a upgrade to my HE 4 in the Closed Back side of things 

back to this discussion, the TH 900 [I did the math the other day] with a Recable from @PETEREK lvl 1 Lawton Mods purchased 2nd Hand was around like $1400 ish [no offense to Mark but his Lvl 2/3 mods are moot imo] but I can get a Used FULL LA D7k for around $1200 ish, or gran the Ether C for around $1600 ish :/ :/ :/ part of me wants to get my D2k Back an get an LA D7k, then I'll have the entire LA DXK family an the AH A100 all modded xD  

So I really have no idea what I'll do yet, as these would be purchases for around the summer time... an as much as I'd like to get an HE 6, slap on some Custom Wood Cups to it an roll with the stock headband [or just use the one my HE 4 has] I'm not sure my 5wpc NFB10ES2 will do it enough justice... it might... but I'd like to try it >.> 

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,135 of 4,813
FYI our backlog is down to about a week.  Our production is running really smoothly and we're at order 7414 as of today (a lot of headphones going out today).   If you have an order in the queue, barring anything unexpected it will ship this week regardless of when it was placed.  Thanks for the patience while we caught up to demand!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 18, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2,136 of 4,813
  well you know my issue with the HE 6 is Amping, to get an amp running around 8wpc [that I actually want to own] is going to run me around $2000 :/ so unless I can try the HE 6 [any one care to loan me a pair ;3] I'm going to wait an go with a upgrade to my HE 4 in the Closed Back side of things 

back to this discussion, the TH 900 [I did the math the other day] with a Recable from @PETEREK lvl 1 Lawton Mods purchased 2nd Hand was around like $1400 ish [no offense to Mark but his Lvl 2/3 mods are moot imo] but I can get a Used FULL LA D7k for around $1200 ish, or gran the Ether C for around $1600 ish :/ :/ :/ part of me wants to get my D2k Back an get an LA D7k, then I'll have the entire LA DXK family an the AH A100 all modded xD  

So I really have no idea what I'll do yet, as these would be purchases for around the summer time... an as much as I'd like to get an HE 6, slap on some Custom Wood Cups to it an roll with the stock headband [or just use the one my HE 4 has] I'm not sure my 5wpc NFB10ES2 will do it enough justice... it might... but I'd like to try it >.> 

You can find a GREAT vintage amp for less than $500 to drive the HE-6.............easily.  Forget a $2000 "headphone specific" amp.   Sorry to all the guys who have not had the pleasure of hearing them out of a vintage speaker amp but there's no comparison. 

To keep this on the proper course (a MrSpeakers thread - my apologies to Dan for assisting with the derail) but the Ether build quality was PHENOMENAL - and so much more comfy than the HE-6 - so light and perfect clamp.  Much like my Dharma in both regards.  Someday I want to hear the C and may add it to the stable. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2,137 of 4,813

You can find a GREAT vintage amp for less than $500 to drive the HE-6.............easily.  Forget a $2000 "headphone specific" amp.   Sorry to all the guys who have not had the pleasure of hearing them out of a vintage speaker amp but there's no comparison. 

To keep this on the proper course (a MrSpeakers thread - my apologies to Dan for assisting with the derail) but the Ether build quality was PHENOMENAL - and so much more comfy than the HE-6 - so light and perfect clamp.  Much like my Dharma in both regards.  Someday I want to hear the C and may add it to the stable. 

I don't have the space for a GREAT Vintage Amp :/ that an I don't want ANOTHER amp sitting around my house >.> I'm already running out of places to store stuff lol, but the Master 11 isn't "headphone specific" it just happens to have gobs of power and a great dac chip set! 

ehm still the Ether C really seems to fit what I need, closed back, easier to drive than others ;3 

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #2,138 of 4,813
I don't have the space for a GREAT Vintage Amp :/ that an I don't want ANOTHER amp sitting around my house >.> I'm already running out of places to store stuff lol, but the Master 11 isn't "headphone specific" it just happens to have gobs of power and a great dac chip set! 

ehm still the Ether C really seems to fit what I need, closed back, easier to drive than others ;3 

Go for it. I dumped my LCD2 and HE6 and got the Mad Dog because I didn't want a big amp and open cans. From there I worked my way up the the Ether C.
But that HE6 and big amp, man what a sound.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,139 of 4,813
Caveat- my Ether C has not arrived yet. I have worn the Ethers a few times. For my portable usage the Ether C would not be considered portable. It's too big, the clamp is too light, and they are far too beautiful and expensive for me to be comfortable risking them outdoors. Maybe an airplane trip, maybe road trip or office and I'd be terrified of losing them on a plane trip.

Yes, I know lots of folks take theirs out and about, I'm just uncomfortable with the idea for me.

I guess my point is form factor, price and aesthetics keep them off a true portable list FOR ME.

+1

To me, full-size headphones do not equal portable.  I prefer IEMs when I'm traveling.  I spend a lot of time on airplanes, and I hop through airports all over the world on average two weeks out of every month.  The last thing I want is to find space for (or to worry about protecting) my Ether-C.  YMMV, or course, but my Ethers will remain at home.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,142 of 4,813
I'm burning in mine, will decide if I will sell in a couple weeks.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #2,143 of 4,813
I joined the Ether-C club this week!

Cheers to Dan for an incredible contribution to the community. I am absolutely thrilled with the sound I am getting out of these guys.

After a bit of experimentation, the following setup is what I've settled on for the moment:

Ether-C
+
Silver Dragon Cable (1/4" Furutech)
+
AUNE T1 MK2 - DAC Only Mode (Genalex Golden Lion)
+
Woo Audio WA6-SE (with Sophia)
+
Amarra for TIDAL

IMHO, I find the tube amps I have really round out the sound and enhance back the musicality. Listening through solid states is EXTREMELY detailed, but I find the sound a little too detailed (crazy I know). I always lean towards warm, rich audio with a bit of body, even if it knocks off a little detail. Don't mistake my words to imply that there is little to no detail with the tubes, detail is still extremely clear and separation is phenomenal with the above setup.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,144 of 4,813
  I joined the Ether-C club this week!

Cheers to Dan for an incredible contribution to the community. I am absolutely thrilled with the sound I am getting out of these guys.

After a bit of experimentation, the following setup is what I've settled on for the moment:

Ether-C
+
Silver Dragon Cable (1/4" Furutech)
+
AUNE T1 MK2 - DAC Only Mode (Genalex Golden Lion)
+
Woo Audio WA6-SE (with Sophia)
+
Amarra for TIDAL

IMHO, I find the tube amps I have really round out the sound and enhance back the musicality. Listening through solid states is EXTREMELY detailed, but I find the sound a little too detailed (cray I know). I always lean towards warm, rich audio with a bit of body, even if it knocks off a little detail. Don't mistake my words to imply that there is little to no detail with the tubes, detail is still extremely clear and separation is phenomenal with the above setup.

Great first post, and welcome to Head-Fi! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #2,145 of 4,813
@musicday There were like 4 selling at once a week back but back then I didn't have the money to buy them ( typical ) so I'm just hoping that there'll be people who will be considering to let them go. I just want to get them second hand as I'm a cheap skate and if even little money can be saved I'll go for it and if someone is willing to sell, I'll get them earlier than actually buying them new as I understand that there's a month wait before you get them delivered? And thanks @Khragon let me know, but I'm hoping that I'll find someone soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back