MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 16, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #2,101 of 4,813

Just to reiterate what others have said. To get the best from the sub bass:

*one white pad each side

*be sure that the seal of the pad is good (glasses can cause issues here)

*burn in the cans at least 150 with moderately loud bassy music

I think that once these criteria are met you'll find that sub bass to be pretty exceptional. I do. 

I will try to burn in when I'm at work, can't do it in the weekends.
I do wear glasses, but have tried w/o, didn't notice any difference, but yes will report on bass w/o glasses on.
Looking forward to getting the phones burned in, will report back.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,103 of 4,813
https://mrspeakers.com/ether/

See the section about Pinout for Custom Cables:

ETHER uses the same pinout as our Alpha Prime and Alpha Dog headphones. The plug is available to cable manufacturers at www.evalucon.com, and the part number is SN-8-4(P). For your convenience they are available for purchase on our accessories tab.

Left:

1 = L+

2 = L - (or ground for single ended cables)

3 = open

4 = open

Right:

1 = R+

2 = R - (or ground for single ended cables)

3 = open

4 = open

https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/cable-plugs-male-for-alpha-dog-and-mad-dog-custom-cables/

To purchase directly from Dan.

Thanks so much! Gonna place my order as soon as possible, bwahahaha

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,104 of 4,813
Thanks, that did help quite a bit actually.  Look like the setting is similar to the effect of the white tuning pad, have you try that yet?

Yeah, tried all of the tuning pads. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,105 of 4,813
  I will try to burn in when I'm at work, can't do it in the weekends.
I do wear glasses, but have tried w/o, didn't notice any difference, but yes will report on bass w/o glasses on.
Looking forward to getting the phones burned in, will report back.

If you used that iTunes EQ curve that had +6 dB boost to bass, burn in is not going to match that. At best I would expect 1-2 dB difference. If you have proper fit and still feel a lack of bass, you may want to look at a different headphone. It's all a matter of personal preference so there is no right or wrong.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #2,110 of 4,813
Just wanted to clarify my comment - I have not listened to the Ether C, didnt mean to imply that I didnt like the Ether C.   I will not jump ship yet until I listen to a broken in pair of the Ethers C.  Would like to hear more impressions from prior AP owners, specifically the bass and  oomph discussion.  I love the bass in my APs would hate to let that go.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2,111 of 4,813
  Just wanted to clarify my comment - I have not listened to the Ether C, didnt mean to imply that I didnt like the Ether C.   I will not jump ship yet until I listen to a broken in pair of the Ethers C.  Would like to hear more impressions from prior AP owners, specifically the bass and  oomph discussion.  I love the bass in my APs would hate to let that go.

I moved from Alpha Dog bass to Ether C. I got in 200+ hours of burn in on my Ether C's before the bass showed up to my satisfaction. And even then I needed to EQ it. Note I didn't say "they" needed to be EQ'd, I said "I" needed to EQ it. I do get "oomph" and weight on my Ether C's bass.

Even with EQ boosted I still get probably the cleanest bass I've ever heard. Ether C cleans up a lot of recordings and makes them sound spectacular. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #2,112 of 4,813
I have 150-200 hours on my Ether C, so I feel it's pretty burned in. I love the comfort, but when I want some oomphy bass, I'm turning to the TH600 with Alpha pads (tune-up kit on order). I'm also testing the the beyerdynamic DT 1770, which is sounding pretty darned good. Is the Ether 3-4 times better, since it cost that much more? No. Is the Ether C better? Yes. This hobby is all about tradeoffs and diminishing returns. The Ether C is one of the most comfortable headphone out there (the sling harness headband is the reason, IMHO). Sure, the T 70 and T5p.gen.1 are also comfortable, but they sounded as thin as the Olsen twins. I haven't heard the T5p.gen.2, which might give the Ether C a little competition. Chances are it's just less bright than the gen.1, but with similar bass anemia. I listened to my son's LCD-XC and wasn't impressed with the comfort, or the sound.

There are other cans if you must have more bass, or just EQ the ether c. Nothing wrong with EQ as long you have it available. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #2,113 of 4,813

Just to reiterate what others have said. To get the best from the sub bass:

*one white pad each side

*be sure that the seal of the pad is good (glasses can cause issues here)

*burn in the cans at least 150 with moderately loud bassy music

I think that once these criteria are met you'll find that sub bass to be pretty exceptional. I do. 

What do you think of the Ether C in comparison to the HE 4? I'm looking for a some what Linear upgrade to my HE 4 [yea Closed vs open I know] 

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #2,114 of 4,813
Ether C left off the top portables thread due to economics: 

Sure...please feel free to loan me them and I'll be happy to add them. 
smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back