MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 14, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,071 of 4,813
Any power amp under 50 watts can work with the HE6 and it doesn't have to be super clean. It just has to have the sound you like and maybe class A. If I still had the HE6 I would love to try it on those little Nelson Pass Camp Amps.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #2,073 of 4,813
  Any one had a chance to compare the Ether C to the HE 6

I know open vs Closed isn't a popular conversation, obviously the HE 6 guys are sure the Ether C doesn't compare to a well amped HE 6, my issue is while the HE 6 may be the BEST upgrade for me... I need to buy a better amp for/with it :/ unless I can get a chance to demo the HE 6 

in my eye's, my NFB10ES2 is sufficent for something as easy to drive as the Ether C, it's got an easy 5w into 50 ohms an it's rather clean

Though Ideally, I'd prefer something like the master 11 for the HE 6, 8w into 50 ohms an the gorgeous R2R pcm 1704 dac

in my eyes, total cost of ownership for an HE 6 is around $2750 if I'm lucky, the M11 alone is $2000,  an maybe I can find an HE 6 in good condition with a balanced cable... vs the Ether C at $1600, Dum Cable  in Tow an no need for a new amp 

any thoughts 

Search the thread for HE6. there are some comments. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #2,074 of 4,813

Search the thread for HE6. there are some comments. 

Welp, I did

Long story short seems the HE 6 is the clear winner. I may give these a Shot now though an keep saving for an End Game Open Back Option 

I'm just hoping the Ether C is a step up from the HE 4, the 6 very clearly is still though, some of the guys on the HE 4 thread... mention that the HE 6 trades blows with the 4 in terms of "agression" still I might just have to hear this 

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #2,076 of 4,813

Night stroll around the neighborhood with the C and DX80. Its like a mini vacation. Now back home for some scotch more music bliss.

You guys are killing me on here. That sounds awesome.

I've put the Ether C in the cart and moved to checkout 3 times already and stopped...

Keep moving.  Don't stop.  I checked out almost a week ago.  ETHER-C due in another week or two (probably two).  And my new desktop DAC arrived today....  We're almost home!!

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #2,077 of 4,813
Now that the tuning pads have been out a while, what's everyone using/not using?  I've found one set of black pads has worked well for most things for myself paired with the Mojo.  Takes just enough of the edge off on a lot of the classic rock and modern music I listen to.  It seems like having 2 blacks or the whites cuts off a lot of the openness of the sound.

And I have to say these headphones have been incredible for my office job.  Coming from the T5P they're even more comfortable for my large ears for extended listening.  Sometimes the sound is so open I forget I'm listening to fully closed cans and have a brief moment where I think I'm disturbing people around me.  But nope, leakage hasn't been an issue at all.  Just the background noise of computer fans and ventilation is enough to mask what little leakage there is.  

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #2,078 of 4,813
  Now that the tuning pads have been out a while, what's everyone using/not using?  I've found one set of black pads has worked well for most things for myself paired with the Mojo.  Takes just enough of the edge off on a lot of the classic rock and modern music I listen to.  It seems like having 2 blacks or the whites cuts off a lot of the openness of the sound.

And I have to say these headphones have been incredible for my office job.  Coming from the T5P they're even more comfortable for my large ears for extended listening.  Sometimes the sound is so open I forget I'm listening to fully closed cans and have a brief moment where I think I'm disturbing people around me.  But nope, leakage hasn't been an issue at all.  Just the background noise of computer fans and ventilation is enough to mask what little leakage there is.  

Hmmmm, ok. I don't use any pads at all-I've even taken out the white pads under the ear pads. Of course this left quite an edge on the treble, but to counteract that I switched to velour pads (Pioneer HRM 7 velour pads, fit perfectly) The velour pads tamed the treble and the soundstage opened up. From there I use EQ.

The Pioneer HRM-7 comes with 2 sets of velour pads, which was very convenient for me. It's a nice set of headphones, but I'm sure there are cheaper velour pad options out because the Pioneer is about $160 on Amazon. I had mine before I got the Ether so I didn't have to spend anything extra. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,079 of 4,813
Hmm so here's another question, any one had a chance to listen to a LawtonModded TH 900? Price wise it's around the same as the Ether C [minus his crazy cable prices] 

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #2,080 of 4,813
By Monday we'll have shipped orders through January 4.  While the site says 2-3 weeks to be conservative we're now beating our shipping commitments.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 15, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,082 of 4,813
Will you intended to sell additional leather/ velour earpads with round inner cut for people with bigger ears?
Thank you.

I can investigate...  We've only had one customer who didn't fit.  In part because the foam and leather are so soft contact doesn't create "hot spots."  Did you try and have a fit issue?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 15, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #2,084 of 4,813
  Hmm so here's another question, any one had a chance to listen to a LawtonModded TH 900? Price wise it's around the same as the Ether C [minus his crazy cable prices] 

I owned one for about 6 months.  Bought it stock other than the Q French Silk cable and had Mark work his magic.  Whatcha want to know? 

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #2,085 of 4,813

I owned one for about 6 months.  Bought it stock other than the Q French Silk cable and had Mark work his magic.  Whatcha want to know? 

I'm curious about how the two compare in terms of overall quality of sound, which one images better, which may have a faster dynamic shift, which has a more even tone, things of that nature

At the moment, my HE 4 can be too aggressive at times, an tends to be a little to hot on the top. That an there are some missing mirco details in the lower mid range, that I'd like to get. The HE X an LCD 2F both brought out a touch more lower mid range detail than my HE 4 [while the HE 4 had them beat in the upper an central mids] at the end of the day I want it all xD 

So I'm curious how the Lawton Modded TH 900 compares to the Ether C in terms of detail, speed an overall performance, I'm really in the market for an End Game Closed back an something to upgrade my HE 4 with. 

My He 4 is very modded an it's been through some "rough" patches so I'm concerned about how much longer it has. Ideally I'd like to get an upgrade but also get something that I can have a little more... faith in. Something that's going to age better than my HE 4 has/is ofc part of the reason it's not "aged" as well as I'd like is due to past circumstances, but aside from getting an HE 6 [Which I think would also require an amp Upgrade] I'm contemplating going with the Ether C or Lawton Modded Th 900 as a long term upgrade to what I have currently 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back