MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,116 of 4,813
  MacedonianHero has done a stunning job with that thread.

I'd happily lend him my Ether Cs ...

... if I had a pair of Ether Cs  
confused_face.gif

Damn damn damn DAMN.........if he's actually in Macedonia I may lend him mine. I've been there many times.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,117 of 4,813
Caveat- my Ether C has not arrived yet. I have worn the Ethers a few times. For my portable usage the Ether C would not be considered portable. It's too big, the clamp is too light, and they are far too beautiful and expensive for me to be comfortable risking them outdoors. Maybe an airplane trip, maybe road trip or office and I'd be terrified of losing them on a plane trip.

Yes, I know lots of folks take theirs out and about, I'm just uncomfortable with the idea for me.

I guess my point is form factor, price and aesthetics keep them off a true portable list FOR ME.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #2,118 of 4,813
I agree, off course anything with a mini plug could be portable, but when a product is marketed as portable usually means smaller, lighter, rugged etc etc.  In my book the Ether are not portable in that sense, off course you can walk around in them but I don't think that was the purpose of the headphones. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2,119 of 4,813
To me, full-size headphones do not equal portable.  I prefer IEMs when I'm traveling.  I spend a lot of time on airplanes, and I hop through airports all over the world on average two weeks out of every month.  The last thing I want is to find space for (or to worry about protecting) my Ether-C.  YMMV, or course, but my Ethers will remain at home.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #2,120 of 4,813
shure 846 for my airplane or amtrack travel.....

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #2,121 of 4,813
shure 846 for my airplane or amtrack travel.....

I agree. Using the SE846 + SCS on the plane is an absolute dream come true, mainly because I don't experience any ear air pressure issues with the increased seal and isolation of the setup.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,122 of 4,813
  I have 150-200 hours on my Ether C, so I feel it's pretty burned in. I love the comfort, but when I want some oomphy bass, I'm turning to the TH600 with Alpha pads (tune-up kit on order). I'm also testing the the beyerdynamic DT 1770, which is sounding pretty darned good. Is the Ether 3-4 times better, since it cost that much more? No. Is the Ether C better? Yes. This hobby is all about tradeoffs and diminishing returns. The Ether C is one of the most comfortable headphone out there (the sling harness headband is the reason, IMHO). Sure, the DT 70 and T5p.gen.1 are also comfortable, but they sounded as thin as the Olsen twins. I haven't heard the T5p.gen.2, which might give the Ether C a little competition. Chances are it's just less bright than the gen.1, but with similar bass anemia. I listened to my son's LCD-XC and wasn't impressed with the comfort, or the sound.

There are other cans if you must have more bass, or just EQ the ether c. Nothing wrong with EQ as long you have it available. 

I'm using the TH-X00 w/ Alpha Pads and your little comparison gives me a good general idea. I don't think I will be buying any more headphones soon but someday when that check comes I'll be grabbing the Ether C's.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #2,123 of 4,813
  I'm using the TH-X00 w/ Alpha Pads and your little comparison gives me a good general idea. I don't think I will be buying any more headphones soon but someday when that check comes I'll be grabbing the Ether C's.

Like wise, the Ether C an TH900 are both on my list at this point... 

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #2,124 of 4,813
  Like wise, the Ether C an TH900 are both on my list at this point... 

How far are you from Nashville, TN in SC? Next meet, I'll at least be there with my Ether C, who knows who else. Last two meets Dan was there which was awesome!

That was when I put the Ether C on my list. From the first moment I needed something to prop up my lower jaw. It was just so amazing.

Granted, have not heard TH900, but still, the Ether C checked all my boxes and then some.

Heck, how far are you from Ashville, NC? I'm determined to go on the 3 hour tour of Sierra Nevada this year, probably July or June. Meet me there, great beer great cans. Hey wait!

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #2,125 of 4,813

How far are you from Nashville, TN in SC? Next meet, I'll at least be there with my Ether C, who knows who else. Last two meets Dan was there which was awesome!

That was when I put the Ether C on my list. From the first moment I needed something to prop up my lower jaw. It was just so amazing.

Granted, have not heard TH900, but still, the Ether C checked all my boxes and then some.

Heck, how far are you from Ashville, NC? I'm determined to go on the 3 hour tour of Sierra Nevada this year, probably July or June. Meet me there, great beer great cans. Hey wait!

ooh Ashville, I've heard good things about the town! I think I'm about 5 horus away which is a touch to far

there is a meet happening in March though in Charollette, but that's not the right time for you is it xD 

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #2,126 of 4,813
  ooh Ashville, I've heard good things about the town! I think I'm about 5 horus away which is a touch to far

there is a meet happening in March though in Charollette, but that's not the right time for you is it xD 

Yes Ashville is nice. My Sister and Brother-in-Law have a home there. Lot's of great restaurants in town and just a beautiful part of the country. I didn't know Sierra Nevada was made there got to visit Sis again.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #2,127 of 4,813
What is the current wait from order to shipping?

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #2,129 of 4,813
Taken from www.mrspeakers.com:

Do they charge your credit card when you order or when they ship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back