MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jan 21, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,176 of 4,813

I agree, it's a shame I've had great fun using the Parametric EQ in Neutron Audio, I'd love to see them work a Desktop verision of their software with windows compatability, otherwise I'm lucky enough to have a copy of jRiver. Though frankly I never use it,  FooBar has some Parametric EQ Plugins however 

Foobar also has a spectrum analyzer that can show you the frequency response of each song and you can calibrate your headphones for a flat signature once you know exactly how much things are boosted/recessed.

If you turn your volume to 0, you will get a perfectly flat response :)

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,177 of 4,813
And you'll also be able to hear ALL of the air between the instruments:wink:

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,178 of 4,813

Foobar also has a spectrum analyzer that can show you the frequency response of each song and you can calibrate your headphones for a flat signature once you know exactly how much things are boosted/recessed.

And you'll also be able to hear ALL of the air between the instruments:wink:

Oh of course, how could I forget the ole volume to 0 trick! Best way to really appreciate the air that's there! It'll give you better extension on your highs too

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #2,180 of 4,813
  Absolutely!!  And wait until both are broken in. You ain't heard nuthin yet.

It's already starting to happen.
I've probably only got 10 or so hours and it just keeps getting better. 
The bass is definitely starting to punch out somewhat.
Also finding that I'm happy listening at lower volumes than before. 
officially impressed here...

Jan 21, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,181 of 4,813
  oooh that's exciting to hear! The Ether C showing it self a step above the HE 560 

Oh yeah. There's no going back...and it would be.
To be fair, it's a different sound signature. The 560's sound dryer, have more bass and a touch wider soundstage but definitely a step down in clarity.
Ether C's have changed my signature preference and they're not even burned in yet!

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,182 of 4,813
I do not have the chance to listen to these unfortunately as I live in New Zealand which has limited choice.
I am after a closed back as I need good noise isolation ( lots of noisy birds and cicada as well as some traffic at my home ). I have previously owned the lcd xc which I enjoyed apart from a pesky upper mid on my pair which I found quite uncomfortable at high volume.
Having not listened to them my concern along with many others here is the bass. Whilst not being a complete basshead I do love good solid bass. Can anyone give me a comparison between the ether c and the lcd xc

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #2,183 of 4,813
Hi. Anyone use the Ether C with an Oppo HA-1? From what I understand, the HA-1 can sound a little bright, which may be an issue for the Ether C. Any thoughts?

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #2,184 of 4,813
  Hi. Anyone use the Ether C with an Oppo HA-1? From what I understand, the HA-1 can sound a little bright, which may be an issue for the Ether C. Any thoughts?

I use the combo and like it a lot. I've been using the white earpads and have had no brightness issues yet, even on strident recordings. They are very EQ'able, perhaps more than any headphone I've used, so you can really tailor the sound to your preference too. So a big thumbs up from me with the HA-1 & Ether C combo, two of the best values in head-fi if you ask me.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #2,185 of 4,813

I also use the combo and like it. The tuning pads can work very well if you feel it's bright.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #2,186 of 4,813
I do not have the chance to listen to these unfortunately as I live in New Zealand which has limited choice.
I am after a closed back as I need good noise isolation ( lots of noisy birds and cicada as well as some traffic at my home ). I have previously owned the lcd xc which I enjoyed apart from a pesky upper mid on my pair which I found quite uncomfortable at high volume.
Having not listened to them my concern along with many others here is the bass. Whilst not being a complete basshead I do love good solid bass. Can anyone give me a comparison between the ether c and the lcd xc

The lower bass is more prominent on the ETHER C compared to my XC pair (there's quite a bit of inconsistency between XC's). The XC, to me, sounds slightly more musical and the ETHER C slightly more dry. With two black tuning pads it's much closer and I prefer to listen to the ETHER C. For me the ETHER C is too warm with the white tuning pad, but at least I know I can change the signature easily and consistently across my sources. My sources are listed in my signature, as well as from the Mojo.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #2,187 of 4,813
  Oh yeah. There's no going back...and it would be.
To be fair, it's a different sound signature. The 560's sound dryer, have more bass and a touch wider soundstage but definitely a step down in clarity.
Ether C's have changed my signature preference and they're not even burned in yet!

Hmmm drier... well you know my HE 4 is pretty dry... It might be nice to have a fuller closed back with some nice detail 

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #2,188 of 4,813
Hmmm drier... well you know my HE 4 is pretty dry... It might be nice to have a fuller closed back with some nice detail 

The perceived flatness might be from the drop at 100Hz to about 150Hz. If this was smoother and continued to 500Hz it would probably sound more 'full'. Some EQ can easily adjust for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back