MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Aug 2, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #4,577 of 4,813
I have about $500 left in my budget after buying Ether-C's for an amp/DAC. The source is a recent iMac and a recent MacBook Pro. Does anyone have suggestions? I have been looking at some Schiit gear and that price point. Desktop use, not portable.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #4,578 of 4,813
  I have about $500 left in my budget after buying Ether-C's for an amp/DAC. The source is a recent iMac and a recent MacBook Pro. Does anyone have suggestions? I have been looking at some Schiit gear and that price point. Desktop use, not portable.

I'd still vote for the Mojo. Sure it's portable, but it still is an amazing piece of gear, even on a desktop. To tell you now good the DAC is in the Mojo, I've used it as a source to feed the $4K Cavalli Liquid Gold, and it did really well. The "amp" in the Mojo will do well for your until you can think about adding an external amp. Cheers 

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #4,579 of 4,813

Get a Mojo (buy from amazon.co.uk to get it for under $500. 

Alternatively a mass drop grace 9xx

A schiit sack will be good too. 

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4,580 of 4,813

Modi Multibit + Asgard 2.  Kind of a no brainer, actually.  :)

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #4,581 of 4,813

I have to vote Mojo too. Great DAC, great amp, desktop, poratable...whatever. It's a true giant slayer.

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #4,582 of 4,813
Mojo. Great DAC. Great variable discrete line-out (there is no seperate amp section). Extremely clean output and engaging sound! Pairs wonderfully with the ETHER C.

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #4,583 of 4,813

I'll have to disagree, then agree, bear with me. Ether C loves them some tubes. My vote is Modi Multibit + Vali 2. I ran my bud bigro's Vali 2 through my Bimby with my Ether C, he just about didn't get the Vali 2 back. It was just damned fun to listen to. Asgard 2 is a bit bright, but punches way above it's price, so I'm not knocking it one bit. I'm just hooked on tubes because of the Ether C. My first listen to an Ether C was when Dan came to Nashville a year ago with a Yggi and a Liquid Glass, within the first second of listening, my jaw hit the floor, I was hooked! When my wonderful SWMBO got me the Ether C for Christmas last year, I started thinking about that tube sound. I saved and got the Mjolnir 2, wonderful pairing, so powerful and detailed. Still have to upgrade my Gungnir to multibit (and of course the Ether C to Ether C Flow). But yeah, the Asgard 2 should be in everyone's arsenal, it's a no brainer indeed! But do consider tube hybrid.

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #4,584 of 4,813
I have to vote Mojo too. Great DAC, great amp, desktop, poratable...whatever. It's a true giant slayer.

I'm back again!

If you want some portability, the Mojo is amazing. Period. Listened to it with my Ether Cs and loved it. I'll still vote for tubes, but for a compact, portable, great sounding little box, yeah, Mojo has it where it counts.

I don't think I'm helping, am I? Sorry about your wallet.

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #4,585 of 4,813

I'll have to disagree, then agree, bear with me. Ether C loves them some tubes. My vote is Modi Multibit + Vali 2. I ran my bud bigro's Vali 2 through my Bimby with my Ether C, he just about didn't get the Vali 2 back. It was just damned fun to listen to. Asgard 2 is a bit bright, but punches way above it's price, so I'm not knocking it one bit. I'm just hooked on tubes because of the Ether C. My first listen to an Ether C was when Dan came to Nashville a year ago with a Yggi and a Liquid Glass, within the first second of listening, my jaw hit the floor, I was hooked! When my wonderful SWMBO got me the Ether C for Christmas last year, I started thinking about that tube sound. I saved and got the Mjolnir 2, wonderful pairing, so powerful and detailed. Still have to upgrade my Gungnir to multibit (and of course the Ether C to Ether C Flow). But yeah, the Asgard 2 should be in everyone's arsenal, it's a no brainer indeed! But do consider tube hybrid.

The ETHER-C is a bit shouty and lacks weight in the lower mids. Asgard2 is a bit on warm side with strong bass. So it should be a common sense choice for the ETHER-C, but it's going to depend heavily on one's preferences. I only expressed my opinion based on my knowledge of ETHER-C as an owner, but should stop short of making a recommendation to someone whose preferences I don't know. Bimby might be a better choice and help the ETHER-C even more, but everything I hear about Modi Multibit is positive.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #4,586 of 4,813

Will just echo what others have said -- Mojo. I was using my Hugo for my desktop and Mojo for travel but sold the Hugo and just have the Mojo now and use it with both my iMac, MBPR and Macbook and it works great. The optical out on iMac and MBPR works a treat -- and I just leave it connected to another USB port to keep it  powered.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #4,588 of 4,813
I'm back again!

If you want some portability, the Mojo is amazing. Period. Listened to it with my Ether Cs and loved it. I'll still vote for tubes, but for a compact, portable, great sounding little box, yeah, Mojo has it where it counts.

I don't think I'm helping, am I? Sorry about your wallet.
If you want totally portable the QP1R is fantastic with the C's.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #4,589 of 4,813
If you want totally portable the QP1R is fantastic with the C's.

And nearly double the budget of $500.  :p

Mojo is a good choice.  Might see if you can find a used NFB-10.33, I know there are some floating around on the classifieds for $500 or less.  (NFB-28/29 will be too bright IMHO.)  MMB should be a pretty nice DAC for $250, though I haven't heard it.  For amps, there are a lot of options with the remainder of the budget and I wouldn't feel constrained to stick with Schiit (they're not bad, but there are a million options... not sure why everyone always defaults to Schiit).  Garage1217 has some great tube amps at around $250, for example.

Of course even something like the Dragonfly Red should be pretty solid and not break the bank.  Let you save up for a bigger jump later if that's your thing...

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #4,590 of 4,813
+1 more for Mojo @Spaghetti. Really enjoyed it with the Ether C. Also a nice all-purpose piece that will scale as a DAC for an amp upgrade. It even sounded great as a DAC with the ultra high-end Cavalli Liquid Gold and Liquid Tungsten, and works nicely as a DAC in a two channel system. That thing is like a key to unlock high fidelity in anything you pair it with. Big thumbs up from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back