MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jul 29, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4,564 of 4,813
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 29, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #4,567 of 4,813
now I have hard decisions in front of me lol.. At first I was thinking of just upgrading the drivers.. Now I see there are new pads with a thicker leather and you only get those with the full upgrade, so I have conceded I might as well go full in for the full upgrade... Now the question is, do I upgrade to the C or non C hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol..

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #4,569 of 4,813
  Is any truth to the statement that Oppo's PM-3 is close to being the poor man's Ether C in terms of sound signature? or would the Sine or EL8C be *closer*?

apologies if this is off topic.

I had and sold PM-3s and have and still own EL8C and Ether-C. The PM-3s were nice, but they aren't in the same league. I recall they were fairly neutral, but other than that they didn't make a huge impression. Ether-C are a whole different ball game IMHO.

The EL8C aren't bad (I have just for work as don't want to leave Ether-C laying around) but they don't have the clarity of the Ether-Cs.

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #4,570 of 4,813
Is any truth to the statement that Oppo's PM-3 is close to being the poor man's Ether C in terms of sound signature? or would the Sine or EL8C be *closer*?

apologies if this is off topic.

I owned the PM3 for some time... While a great headphone in its own right (not really totl though) the sound signature is completely different than the Ether C.. The PM3 is a pretty congested sounding headphone with a pretty big roll-off in the treble but great bass and mids.. The either in comparison can sound bass light but it's mids and treble are what really sets the Ether and the PM3 apart.. Also the Ether C has none of the congestion that the PM3 does

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4,571 of 4,813
I owned the PM3 for some time... While a great headphone in its own right (not really totl though) the sound signature is completely different than the Ether C.. The PM3 is a pretty congested sounding headphone with a pretty big roll-off in the treble but great bass and mids.. The either in comparison can sound bass light but it's mids and treble are what really sets the Ether and the PM3 apart.. Also the Ether C has none of the congestion that the PM3 does
I had and sold PM-3s and have and still own EL8C and Ether-C. The PM-3s were nice, but they aren't in the same league. I recall they were fairly neutral, but other than that they didn't make a huge impression. Ether-C are a whole different ball game IMHO.

The EL8C aren't bad (I have just for work as don't want to leave Ether-C laying around) but they don't have the clarity of the Ether-Cs.

thanks fellas!!

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #4,573 of 4,813
To me, the ether c is closer to a Beyerdynamic T1 gen 1 than the oppo.

interesting, as I auditioned the ether C and the T1.2 side by side, I found them to be rather different, I found the ether C 1.1 to rather less bright/sharp than the T1.2.

I preferred the ether C by quite a fair margin, just that I can't afford them at this moment lol

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #4,575 of 4,813
To me, the ether c is closer to a Beyerdynamic T1 gen 1 than the oppo.

interesting, as I auditioned the ether C and the T1.2 side by side, I found them to be rather different, I found the ether C 1.1 to rather less bright/sharp than the T1.2.

I preferred the ether C by quite a fair margin, just that I can't afford them at this moment lol

Well, if you thought the T1.g2 was bright, then you will think the T1.g1 is extremely bright. Many feel the ether c is bright too, but can be tuned easily with the included pads. To me, there are similarities between the the T1.g1 and the ether c, but each of us has different ears with different sensitivities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back