MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jul 25, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #4,536 of 4,813
I am really hoping you can forgo the cup replacment and save money on the upgrade... Not that I don't like the new cups, its just that I am also happy with the way it looks now and would rather only pay for the new drivers. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #4,537 of 4,813
  I am really hoping you can forgo the cup replacment and save money on the upgrade... Not that I don't like the new cups, its just that I am also happy with the way it looks now and would rather only pay for the new drivers. 

Hard to tell from the photo, but they might be slightly differently shaped? Seems like the original cups have a longer flat sloped portion at the top before the curve down into the concave part while the Flow versions have a larger inner circle, so that flat portion is shorter. However, could just be differences in angle. 

Also knowing how practical Dan is I'd be surprised if he was just redoing the cups for aesthetic purposes. I'm guessing there's some different internal geometry. However, the prototypes had the old cups, so who knows? Well, Dan and Peter know...

Cheers 

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #4,538 of 4,813
  Hard to tell from the photo, but they might be slightly differently shaped? Seems like the original cups have a longer flat sloped portion at the top before the curve down into the concave part while the Flow versions have a larger inner circle, so that flat portion is shorter. However, could just be differences in angle. 

Also knowing how practical Dan is I'd be surprised if he was just redoing the cups for aesthetic purposes. I'm guessing there's some different internal geometry. However, the prototypes had the old cups, so who knows? Well, Dan and Peter know...

Cheers 

looking at those cups side by side while making the the image, it really looks as though the outer shape is the same to me. It is possible that the internal shape was changed but considering that the prototypes used what looks like the old cups, I am guessing that they did not change... Well hoping :p

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #4,539 of 4,813
I actually prefer the look of the original. I'd be all over keeping the original cups during the upgrade if it's possible.

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #4,540 of 4,813

Yes, we have heard the feedback that cost is a concern and suggestions that a certificate and a registered SN list for updates will suffice for many so we will offer a functional (full driver replacement) and a total (can't tell them apart except silver screws on original ETHER headphones we won't convert the silver bolts to the bronze ones) at a higher cost.

There's been a lot of speculation but I want to be clear the upgrade requires us to remove and replace the entire original driver assembly which then have to be re-matched so it's a very complicated process.  Also the driver parts can not be re-used as opening the headphone driver is very likely to cause damage to the original drivers.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 25, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #4,542 of 4,813

looking at those cups side by side while making the the image, it really looks as though the outer shape is the same to me. It is possible that the internal shape was changed but considering that the prototypes used what looks like the old cups, I am guessing that they did not change... Well hoping :p

Shapes are the same, that's just an optical delusion (heh heh).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 25, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #4,543 of 4,813
I agree with mscott58 that the concave portion looks a tad bit bigger but could be the angle. I also agree that I don't think Dan would do a cup change if it wasn't to do with the sound somehow . Could be wrong though and that is a way to tell each apart.

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #4,544 of 4,813
I really like the new look of the cups. Well done Dan! That being said I can't afford them :frowning2: Should have chosen NOT to be a musician and author and just having a "normal" job, so that I could buy this pretty can. But on the other hand: I like what I do and in the meantime my PM3's will serve me well (enough) ... at least I hope so

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #4,545 of 4,813
How much more is the full upgrade compared to the partial one? It seems like the partial upgrade is more labor intensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back