MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 9, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #2,851 of 4,813
Did anyone try both the QP1 and QP1R with the Ether C?  My friend has the QP1 and going head to head with the Ibasso DX80 my impression was that other than sounding more cleaner and refined, everything else was just marginally better.  The QP1R however is much better than the QP1.  This is just with the Ether C, I haven't tried any other headphones.  Seems like better components on the same circuit makes a huge difference.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #2,852 of 4,813
  Did anyone try both the QP1 and QP1R with the Ether C?  My friend has the QP1 and going head to head with the Ibasso DX80 my impression was that other than sounding more cleaner and refined, everything else was just marginally better.  The QP1R however is much better than the QP1.  This is just with the Ether C, I haven't tried any other headphones.  Seems like better components on the same circuit makes a huge difference.

I really like the pairing with both Ether headphones. Qp1r drives them both with good grip on the driver but with an air of refinement. This DAP performs more like a desktop amp with both Ethers IMHO...possibly due to the current mode amplication. Just a great all around DAP. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #2,853 of 4,813
I really like the pairing with both Ether headphones. Qp1r drives them both with good grip on the driver but with an air of refinement. This DAP performs more like a desktop amp with both Ethers IMHO...possibly due to the current mode amplication. Just a great all around DAP. 

My thoughts also, sounds like a desktop amp.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,854 of 4,813
Mar 9, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,857 of 4,813
Mojo sounds really good too but the QP1R is all in one.

Does the QP1R stream TIDAL? I've been looking at the Fiio X7 because it does but they don't have an amp module powerful enough out yet.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,858 of 4,813
Personally I like the qp1r better. The mojo is cleaner sounding but the qp1r is more musical...ymmv. 

More mids? Bass? Can you expand a little on this and what it brings to the ETHER C?

I've been looking at the QP1-R since its announcement because of the current mode amplification but could never pull the trigger. I think it's because of the same GUI code base as the FiiO wheel based DAPs.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #2,859 of 4,813

Does the QP1R stream TIDAL? I've been looking at the Fiio X7 because it does but they don't have an amp module powerful enough out yet.

No streaming.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,860 of 4,813
More mids? Bass? Can you expand a little on this and what it brings to the ETHER C?

I've been looking at the QP1-R since its announcement because of the current mode amplification but could never pull the trigger. I think it's because of the same GUI code base as the FiiO wheel based DAPs.

The new firmware makes the touch buttons do almost everything now so it is much better as the wheel is so slick. The wheel loosens up after time but the sound that comes from it is worth the trouble.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #2,861 of 4,813

Sure, the qp1r seems to do a good job of fleshing out detail while keeping some warmth. Treble extends without harshness. The mids come across with a sweet tone that sounds natural and engaging (mids/vocals are a deal breaker for me so I'm very critical about this part of the spectrum). Bass bumps a little harder than with mojo and is not shy. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #2,862 of 4,813
Sure, the qp1r seems to do a good job of fleshing out detail while keeping some warmth. Treble extends without harshness. The mids come across with a sweet tone that sounds natural and engaging (mids/vocals are a deal breaker for me so I'm very critical about this part of the spectrum). Bass bumps a little harder than with mojo and is not shy. 

Straight forward and to the point. Good reference, thanks.

:beerchug:

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,863 of 4,813

The X7 is a solid Android-based player.  It's got a Sabre DAC and you know I'm pretty critical of those, but I find the X7's implementation quite palatable.  I didn't get a chance to compare it head to head with the QP1R.  But the QP1R sounds fantastic.  The DAC is very resolving (if a tad on the bright, digital side of the spectrum) and the amp is as good as you're going to get in a DAP.  The interface of the QP1R is its Achilles Heel, but if you simply want a no-nonsense music player with the best sound for the money, the QP1R is tops.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2,864 of 4,813
I compared qp1r and x7 head to head. The x7 was a disappointment just to be honest. It's a good player but it doesn't have the sound quality of the qp1r. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #2,865 of 4,813
Thanks Stillhart, unfortunately no TIDAL streaming is a deal breaker for me. Guess I gotta keep waiting for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back