MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 7, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,836 of 4,813
Ya know I have always been a non-believer when it comes to the whole cable craziness. And to a certain extent, I still am (especially for $700+ cables). However, I have to say that Dan's cables sound different (and better to my ears) than the others I have, regardless of DUM or not. Can I prove they are different? No. Do I have scientific graphs and charts? No. To be a bit more specific, I have a cable system I generally use for all of my cans from one of the most respected names in the cable business. They are fantastically built and of the highest quality/craftsmanship. However, when using Dan's cables in comparison, the sound through the Ether C's is just more pleasing to me. It feels more rounded out and balanced. The other cables seem to resolve detail better, but for day to day listening, it is quite fatiguing where as I can go hours with Dan's cables with no issues.

Take it for what little it's worth, but I can hear a difference.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #2,838 of 4,813
Please take cable blind testing arguments to sound science where they belong...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 7, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #2,839 of 4,813
Mar 8, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #2,840 of 4,813
My 1.1 arrived from bytor33, it was a gift via Dan, thanks again to both, if I could give feedback to bytor33 it would be very positive!

Changes in

Sound presence

1. Bass Frequencies are now more attentuated then before. This is can be a good thing, because after 160 hours of burn-in @90db, there was indeed maybe a bit too much of bass presence. However - in case you are a bass-adorer it could very well be that you are better of with the 1.0, in my opinion. The slight mid-bass ompfh is gone now completely, which is great!
  2. Mids are creamy and beautiful as ever.
  3. Highs are significantly more present now.  Highs are shining through even with 2 black or one white outer tuning pads.

Positioning, Soundstage and Imaging

This is the most notable improvement indeed. Soundstage is definitely larger now. I read that decay is better now, this might be true, but improvement in decay is minor or I can't hear it.

Overall

Sound has matured, it is very audible, and overall better experience. I enjoy the more controlled bass, more laid-back mid-bass frequencies, which at loud volumes have been hurtful to my ears. The beautiful highs are much more present now and I needed to upgrade to the white (outer) tuning pad in order to get my preferred dark sound. Acoustic Piano Jazz just sounds absolutely marvellous now, which is the hardest discipline.Exchange of (inner) 1.1. pads were completely hassle-free compared to other TOTL headphones and indeed done in 2 minutes of my time. Applause to MrSpeakers.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #2,841 of 4,813
Seriously considering selling my 560 and Alpha Prime for the Ether C. My wife is thrilled (she bought me the 560 for Christmas). :D

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #2,844 of 4,813
Looks home-made?  The DUM isn't a 4-strand braid that's individually sleeved.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,846 of 4,813
We have a winner!

Q it is. Old cable made by Steve Eddy here on head-fi before he went to BTG. Looks DIY because its been hard wired to a SA 5000 then Mad Dog before it was made into a portable cable for my AD and Ether C.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #2,847 of 4,813

I do have an advantage when identifying that particular cable ... being that this is mine...

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #2,848 of 4,813
Mar 9, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,849 of 4,813

Match made in heaven for the C.

Actually it is made at Foxconn City. At least half of the match. It had to be said.

"finally assembled, tested and delivered under the highest quality standards by Foxconn." Source: http://www.questyleaudio.com/product-qp1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back