MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Mar 10, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #2,868 of 4,813
The X7 is a solid Android-based player.  It's got a Sabre DAC and you know I'm pretty critical of those, but I find the X7's implementation quite palatable.  I didn't get a chance to compare it head to head with the QP1R.  But the QP1R sounds fantastic.  The DAC is very resolving (if a tad on the bright, digital side of the spectrum) and the amp is as good as you're going to get in a DAP.  The interface of the QP1R is its Achilles Heel, but if you simply want a no-nonsense music player with the best sound for the money, the QP1R is tops.

Oh I know, I reviewed the X7. I keep hearing conflicting reports on the QP1R so a brief comparison to the Mojo with the ETHER C was very helpful. Honestly, the only thing that held me back from it since launch has been the interface - hardware and software. Just don't think I want to go there again.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,869 of 4,813

Dunno about London but Mark from Electromod is in High Wycombe which isn't that far from London, I think he's the UK Mr. Speakers distributor:

http://www.electromod.co.uk

Thanks, but unfortunately that's a 3.5 hour return trip for me. Is there really nowhere in central London?

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #2,870 of 4,813
Thanks, but unfortunately that's a 3.5 hour return trip for me. Is there really nowhere in central London?

Mark is our distributor, drop him a note to get store locations...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 10, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,871 of 4,813
Just recently picked up a set of Ether C's.  Best headphone purchase I've ever made.  I can't believe closed cans can sound so open.  I am relistening all of my music now just for the experience sake.

Absolutely amazing.  

Using them with iBasso DX90, not sure if it's worth investing another grand into a separate amp.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #2,872 of 4,813
  Just recently picked up a set of Ether C's.  Best headphone purchase I've ever made.  I can't believe closed cans can sound so open.  I am relistening all of my music now just for the experience sake.

Absolutely amazing.  

Using them with iBasso DX90, not sure if it's worth investing another grand into a separate amp.

These are TOTL headphones, arguably the best closed cans on the market.  They will scale as high as you want to go.  They sound amazing on my Liquid Crimson.  I'll be getting to demo the Liquid Gold soon and I suspect they'll sound even better.

(A good friend loaned me his Ether C for a bit so I finally have one!  Woo!!!!)

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,873 of 4,813
These are TOTL headphones, arguably the best closed cans on the market.  They will scale as high as you want to go.  They sound amazing on my Liquid Crimson.  I'll be getting to demo the Liquid Gold soon and I suspect they'll sound even better.

(A good friend loaned me his Ether C for a bit so I finally have one!  Woo!!!!)

Looking forward to your impressions on the Liquid gold. :)

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #2,875 of 4,813
Looking forward to your impressions on the Liquid gold.
smily_headphones1.gif

Who knows, maybe we'll get your impressions on the Gold at some point too.  :-D

4 grand hehe a bit too rich for my blood.  :D

Sure, but the point is that yes, it's absolutely worth investing in a good amp with these headphones.  I may be a bit biased, but I think the Liquid Carbon is the best amp you can get under a grand.  You might check for a used one or wait for another run, which has been hinted at a few times.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #2,876 of 4,813
Finally got around to installing the 1.1 pads. I have never used the optional tuning pads. First impression is that it gives the ETHER C more of an electrostatic flavor. Stax fans would probably be pleased. Need to spend a fair amount of time with them to come to a conclusion.

Hats off to Dan for providing us with these options.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #2,877 of 4,813

Who knows, maybe we'll get your impressions on the Gold at some point too.  :-D

Sure, but the point is that yes, it's absolutely worth investing in a good amp with these headphones.  I may be a bit biased, but I think the Liquid Carbon is the best amp you can get under a grand.  You might check for a used one or wait for another run, which has been hinted at a few times.

The Gustard H10 is a ridiculously good amp for $300.  Add four Burson discrete op-amps for $200 and it's still below the cost of the Carbon.  Ran these two amps side by side, in the end the Carbon was sold.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,878 of 4,813
  The Gustard H10 is a ridiculously good amp for $300.  Add four Burson discrete op-amps for $200 and it's still below the cost of the Carbon.  Ran these two amps side by side, in the end the Carbon was sold.

The H10 is a single ended amp... were you comparing it to the SE output of the Carbon or the balanced out?  I wouldn't be surprised if it beat the SE out.

Either way, sounds like something I'll have to hear one day!  
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,879 of 4,813

Interesting. Even with running balanced out of the LC you prefer the Gustard with the Burson op-amps?

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #2,880 of 4,813

The H10 is a single ended amp... were you comparing it to the SE output of the Carbon or the balanced out?  I wouldn't be surprised if it beat the SE out.

Either way, sounds like something I'll have to hear one day!  
beerchug.gif

Yes H10 is a SE amp but it architecture is dual mono and it has XLR inputs although it it only SE out.  Even running the Carbon with a balance advantage, the H10 still edges out the Carbon.

Where are you located?  Be happy to loan you the H10.  The QP1R will most likely keep me occupied for a couple of months. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back