MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Jun 22, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #106 of 937
If same Mike then I can agree,
But I have since then upgraded his amp to perform much better now.
Although within its own limitations of tube selection.

Yes. And I'm simply pointing out your references are limited.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #107 of 937
Yes I understand,
I plan to do some DIY by time the E rolls around.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #108 of 937
I know their release date is 'yet to be determined' , but has there been even a hint of an approximate release date? As in, sometime yet this year or likely not until next etc etc ?

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #109 of 937
  I know their release date is 'yet to be determined' , but has there been even a hint of an approximate release date? As in, sometime yet this year or likely not until next etc etc ?

Dan has indicated confidence in a release this year... based on following the various posts on this headphone fairly closely and the pace of versioning and looking for public feedback I am guessing Oct 2016 for whatever that is worth (not much, but it is fun).

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #110 of 937

Dan has indicated confidence in a release this year... based on following the various posts on this headphone fairly closely and the pace of versioning and looking for public feedback I am guessing Oct 2016 for whatever that is worth (not much, but it is fun).

cool. tks... Gives me a few months to save up enough aluminum cans to cash in so I can make this purchase
atsmile.gif
 Very excited for this release(and I know I've got plenty of company!)

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #112 of 937
  I am very excited for those as well and currently torn between getting a HE 1000 or Ether or saving my money for those new electrostatic HPs.

I adore my Ether but if I can swing the budget for an Ether E and an amp I'm absolutely going that route based on the various prototypes I've heard. It's on my short list of upgrades right now.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #114 of 937
  Do we have any information what the price + amp will be?
I hope for something around 3k.

I haven't heard any official pricing and we'll probably hear more about that once the Ether E design is finalized. Since they're still developing the product there's probably some fluctuation.

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #117 of 937
Pricing has not been announced, but has been hinted at a little bit as Dan stated in a video that it will "not be multiples of an Ether" so since the Ether open is $1,499 I am assuming the Ether E will start with a 2. I am secretly hoping for 2,499 as the max under consideration.... and of course would be thrilled if it ends up coming in at something between 1,999 and 2,299, but these are all just wild guesses at this stage.

There has been no hint as to which amp companies are interested in jumping in for the ride and what the price points would be. I am keeping an eye on the ESL module for the iFi iCAN Pro and watching the LTA folks to see if they turn one of their ZOTL designs into something that would work... but my guess is it will still be quite a challenge to find a really good estat headphone amp under 2k, but I really really really hope I am proved wrong on that one.

Anyone know when/where the next public exposure will occur?

Since I am now invested in a Cavalli Liquid Carbon (on order...), I can very selfishly wish that Cavalli might take the same chassis and use two of them, one for a power supply and one for an estat amp and price both of them together just under 2k, that would be sweet.... The Liquid Lightning 2 would still be the champ of course, but if something like what I described was as close to it as the Carbon is to a Crimson, that would be extremely attractive.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #119 of 937
  Pricing has not been announced, but has been hinted at a little bit as Dan stated in a video that it will "not be multiples of an Ether" so since the Ether open is $1,499 I am assuming the Ether E will start with a 2. I am secretly hoping for 2,499 as the max under consideration.... and of course would be thrilled if it ends up coming in at something between 1,999 and 2,299, but these are all just wild guesses at this stage.

There has been no hint as to which amp companies are interested in jumping in for the ride and what the price points would be. I am keeping an eye on the ESL module for the iFi iCAN Pro and watching the LTA folks to see if they turn one of their ZOTL designs into something that would work... but my guess is it will still be quite a challenge to find a really good estat headphone amp under 2k, but I really really really hope I am proved wrong on that one.

Anyone know when/where the next public exposure will occur?

Since I am now invested in a Cavalli Liquid Carbon (on order...), I can very selfishly wish that Cavalli might take the same chassis and use two of them, one for a power supply and one for an estat amp and price both of them together just under 2k, that would be sweet.... The Liquid Lightning 2 would still be the champ of course, but if something like what I described was as close to it as the Carbon is to a Crimson, that would be extremely attractive.

Some thoughts:  

The LTA guys didn't design the microZOTL, they just tweaked it into the microZOTL2.  I have no idea if they have the chops to design a 'stat amp from scratch.  I'd be curious to hear if they do, of course, since the microZOTL2 is a very nice amp.

Also, I've been told that because of the extremely high voltages in stat amps, they tend to have very large chassis...es to prevent electrical arcing.  I'd be surprised if they could get a stat amp in the body of the Carbon.

If one shows up at the Houston meet, we will have proper amplification and solid DACs to allow the unit to do its thing.

HS

If one shows up, it will probably be with a BHSE and Yggy (like at THE Show) so you should be set either way.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #120 of 937

Some thoughts:  

The LTA guys didn't design the microZOTL, they just tweaked it into the microZOTL2.  I have no idea if they have the chops to design a 'stat amp from scratch.  I'd be curious to hear if they do, of course, since the microZOTL2 is a very nice amp.

Also, I've been told that because of the extremely high voltages in stat amps, they tend to have very large chassis...es to prevent electrical arcing.  I'd be surprised if they could get a stat amp in the body of the Carbon.

If one shows up, it will probably be with a BHSE and Yggy (like at THE Show) so you should be set either way.

I can only offer up an Ygg and Carbon or KGST, personally.  I'll have one there.

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back