MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Apr 4, 2016 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 937

aamefford

I have a custom title!
I thought I'd start this thread, as there was a bunch of activity regarding these headphones on the recent CanJam Impressions thread.  Prototypes will continue to appear at upcoming meets and shows, so it seems appropriate to start a thread for impressions - knowing full well that these are a work in progress, and impressions will vary and change across multiple versions of the headphones.

I was in San Diego last week.  I had a brief opportunity to sneak away from family, and Dan graciously let me stop by.  I kept it brief, Dan is really busy right now.  We chatted a bit, and Dan handed me a pair of Ether C's with Ether flat pads, sort of as reference, as I have the C's.  I liked what the flat pads did - warmed them up  bit.  I may buy a pair.

Then he handed me the prototype electrostatics.  He did ask that if I post about them, to please mention - These are quite a bit further along than the pair he took to CanJam in March.  The rig was an AK 380 (I think?) Copper colored DAP, I think just as transport into a Schiit Gungnir MB, into a Cavalli Liquid Lightning 2T.

This was one of only a few, and first in quite a while "OH WOW!" moments where you put them on, listen, pull them off and look at them with that What expression, then put them back on, and mutter (pretty loud 'cause you have headphones on) "Oh Wow!" and then just listen for a few minutes.

I'm not a complete newby to electrostatics - I've heard the 007 and 009 out of good rigs a couple or 3 times.  Not a complete newly, but close.  That means no comparisons, just some completely subjective comments.

The detail, realism, sound stage and air were just stunning.  I'm not sure I've heard a sound stage like that that was accurate.  Definitely not the HD800 sound stage.  Just open and very real sounding.  About as close to speakers as I've heard with headphones.  Add to all that realistic, deep bass.  I was quite stunned by these headphones.  I look forward to more impressions.

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 937
I'm glad to hear they've made some progress.  What I heard at Canjam had a lot of potential but it didn't quite come together for me.  I gave Dan my honest feedback because I know he'll use it to make the headphones better.  Looking like he's well on his way...

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 937
Nice! Glad to see a thread up on this. I was really wowed by the prototype at CanJam. I can't wait to hear the final version.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 937
We've been working hard on this, and the reception to the updated tuning at Axpona was really positive, a lot of people asking when pre-sales would start.  

beerchug.gif

We are ready to say we'll be shipping this year.  For those going to Tokyo, we'll be demonstrating there, though the venue is SO loud this works against real impressions, as there's no isolation on these phones.  We'll also have them at CanLanta, the upcoming NY meet, and more.  

If any Axpona attendees catch this thread, please join in and share your impressions.  Good, neutral or negative, it's all really helpful to us to hear your thoughts!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 19, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 937
It was really great seeing you guys in Chicago @mrspeakers and @MrSpeakersPeter. I'm glad we had a few minutes to catch up before the show on Thursday, and that also gave me a chance to get some one-on-one time with the unit before the crowds got in on Friday. As I mentioned in my AXPONA Show Report, I think you guys really have something special here with this new electrostat. 

I love the fact that this thing has actual bass and body to it. Comparing head-to-head with the SR-009 on the Blue Hawaii, I actually preferred the Mr. Speakers Electrostat due to it's more musical approach. Obviously hard to compare the details, etc. (where the 009 really excels as a headphone) in a show environment, so take that for what it is worth. 

Without the benefit of a head-to-head comparison to the first version, I do seem to remember liking the tuning of the first generation unit a little bit better. IIRC, the first iteration had a little bit more body overall and was not quite as bright up top (compared on the Liquid Lightning)... though there are a lot more variables at play in my comparisons, vs. your ability to do controlled A/B testing in the Mr. Speakers labs. Anyway, that would be my only bit of constructive feedback, to take a look at the balance between the two in your controlled environment. 

I do appreciate they way you've involved us, the Head-fi community, in your development of the product. I think that's really cool. I've had a blast listening to it so far, and I'm super excited to hear the final version.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 937

Without the benefit of a head-to-head comparison to the first version, I do seem to remember liking the tuning of the first generation unit a little bit better. IIRC, the first iteration had a little bit more body overall and was not quite as bright up top (compared on the Liquid Lightning)... though there are a lot more variables at play in my comparisons, vs. your ability to do controlled A/B testing in the Mr. Speakers labs. Anyway, that would be my only bit of constructive feedback, to take a look at the balance between the two in your controlled environment. 

Where's your Axpona post, don't see it in the very short Axpona impressions thread?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 19, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 937

Where's your Axpona post, don't see it in the very short Axpona impressions thread?

Here you go:  http://www.enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2016/Ear_Gear_Expo/

May 12, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 937
Sweet. Liked what I heard at SoCal CanJam, so looking forward to checking them out in SF.

May 23, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 937
I just got word that, barring any shipping incidents, the Ether E will be at the MrSpeakers event in LA this weekend.  Anyone local who has interest, this should be fun.  @TSAVJason also has a SR-009 setup there so people should be able to compare.

Oh and if you heard it at Cajam Socal, apparently it's received quite a few tweaks since then.  I'm looking forward to hearing them again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back