MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Sep 29, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #136 of 937
How about canjam Singapore where i'm at?

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #137 of 937
How about canjam Singapore where i'm at?

Naturally.  

beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 30, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #139 of 937
  I'm excited to say that we've made great progress on the electrostatic.  We feel we've optimized our balance of extension, driver stability and efficiency (among other things), and now have a tuning we really love.  We've reached the point we're ready to go to production, and announcement details will not be too far off.  
Here are a few preliminary technical details the electrostatic enthusiasts will like:
Ultra-thin driver (we have 8 Km of material, that's enough to make a few headphones)
Significantly improved driver stability
Extended bass; -3dB ~17Hz
Significantly higher efficiency than earlier generations
81mm driver
We'll be showing at RMAF, and we look forward to hearing your feedback soon!

Impressive... first of all, congratulations for making a new e-stat, and then congratulations for improving on the efficiency. This is no small feat... especially in a market mostly dominated by 1-2 makers.

How is the treble compared to earlier versions? (comparative FR [and CSD] with some Stax or known dynamic cans would be most welcome). However, subjective impressions are more important. Looking forward to those.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #140 of 937

Impressive... first of all, congratulations for making a new e-stat, and then congratulations for improving on the efficiency. This is no small feat... especially in a market mostly dominated by 1-2 makers.

How is the treble compared to earlier versions? (comparative FR [and CSD] with some Stax or known dynamic cans would be most welcome). However, subjective impressions are more important. Looking forward to those.

We had a number of generations of prototypes along the way and I couldn't begin to say which versions were at which meets because I didn't track it, so nope, so measured comparisons to older versions won't be forthcoming.   Generally the headphone delivers electrostatic clarity which we've tried to temper to avoid sounding analytical; to my ear it's a very natural sounding headphone.  

Bass is extended and rendered with great speed with tone and texture that's more audiophile than "fun," in that it's extremely linear.  It has the reach to play EDM, though if you're primarily interested in that genre you're probably best off with a Flow headphone.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 3, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #141 of 937
  I hope it's affordable......  :frowning2:

I heard an updated prototype at a local event here a few weeks back.  I spoke to Dan about pricing and I think if he can hit his target, people are going to be VERY happy with the price. Let me put it this way:  if you can get an Ether E and a 'stat amp for less than the price of a Focal Utopia, things are going to get VERY interesting around here...

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #142 of 937

I heard an updated prototype at a local event here a few weeks back.  I spoke to Dan about pricing and I think if he can hit his target, people are going to be VERY happy with the price. Let me put it this way:  if you can get an Ether E and a 'stat amp for less than the price of a Focal Utopia, things are going to get VERY interesting around here...

You can get a used amp for about a grand so I think if the Ether E can match the Utopia/Stax SR009 at $3k or so, and manage to be a decently light pair of cans (400g or so) they can really hit it out of the ballpark. The Utopia with that crazy heavy cable is pushing over 670g. It's just not ergonomic at all.

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #143 of 937

You can get a used amp for about a grand so I think if the Ether E can match the Utopia/Stax SR009 at $3k or so, and manage to be a decently light pair of cans (400g or so) they can really hit it out of the ballpark. The Utopia with that crazy heavy cable is pushing over 670g. It's just not ergonomic at all.

They're lighter than the Ethers.  I seem to recall Dan saying around 300g but don't quote me on that.  The cables aren't finalized so it's anybody's guess how much they'll add to the weight.  But seeing how light the headphones are already, I think it'll be fine.

And I disagree about the Utopia FWIW.  It's on the heavy side, but it's no Audeze.  It wears the weight well due to good ergonomics.  IMHO.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #146 of 937
Listened to the Mr. Speakers Ether Electrostatic on the Liquid Lighting, iCan Pro electrostatic module and the Blue Hawaii this weekend. Absolutely fantastic. I love the tuning improvements since AXPONA. I know the SR-009 will always have its loyalists, but I definitely prefer the warmer sound of the Ether ES. Bridges the gap perfectly between the 007 and the 009 tunings. Just masterful. Can't wait to see more impressions roll in. This headphone is the real deal.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #147 of 937
Listened to the Mr. Speakers Ether Electrostatic on the Liquid Lighting, iCan Pro electrostatic module and the Blue Hawaii this weekend. Absolutely fantastic. I love the tuning improvements since AXPONA. I know the SR-009 will always have its loyalists, but I definitely prefer the warmer sound of the Ether ES. Bridges the gap perfectly between the 007 and the 009 tunings. Just masterful. Can't wait to see more impressions roll in. This headphone is the real deal.

How is the soundstage? I was extremely disappointing in the closed-back-like soundstage of the Utopia so I'm hoping the Ether Estat can at least approach the type of soundstage that the HD800/HE1000 have.

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #148 of 937
How is the soundstage? I was extremely disappointing in the closed-back-like soundstage of the Utopia so I'm hoping the Ether Estat can at least approach the type of soundstage that the HD800/HE1000 have.

I would say the HE-1000 is a pretty strong comparison in terms of soundstage size, IMHO.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #150 of 937
>>iCan Pro electrostatic module

How did you like the ICan vs the other amps you tried?

It is nowhere near as good as the Blue Hawaii. It is a bit closer to the Liquid Lighting, but a pinch warmer with a little less detail. Really hard to offer much comparative value since they had totally different DACs. I think the iFi DAC might have been a bit warmer than the Auralic Vega, so the tonal balance might have been the exact same for all I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back