MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Jun 21, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #91 of 937
I hope that we can get away from talking about plugs for a while.  Seems like Dan has some new information regarding maybe reasonable sources for STAX connectors, and Dan has clearly explained why they are looking at new connectors... and people have expressed that having compatible connectors also provides values.  Seems like there isn't much more to say until we have more information.  Otherwise, it's just rehashing the rehash.

I'd much rather hear about people's experience listening... and what they want to listen to first when they get their hands on them.
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #94 of 937
  Dumb question. Do you need a special amp to listen to electrostatic head phones? I am going to have an opportunity to try Mr Speakers, electrostatic but was wondering if my amp would work.

Yup. You need an electrostatiic amplifier.

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #95 of 937
  Dumb question. Do you need a special amp to listen to electrostatic head phones? I am going to have an opportunity to try Mr Speakers, electrostatic but was wondering if my amp would work.

If you're going to hear them at a meet, anyone who has brought and electrostatic HP will probably also bring an electrostatic amp.

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #97 of 937
Ok, I read this thread,
And I like to make some general points wich is not a response to anyone,
Just some points to consider,
And then my listening observations.

1- Innovation and Change:
Just look at the SUPERIOR PLUG the Ether uses in its headphone cups.
A perfect example of making things better.
His headband style & parts quality with Ether I would say are second to none in the planar market.

When he brings that instantly superior design, to the electrostatic market with a superior model,
it doesn't matter what plug he uses.
Most mainstream buyers would not even bother looking at electrostatics if it weren't for upcoming Ether E...

2- MOTIVATION :
This new style plug will be a motivation for amp makers to make "new" amps, not stax specific for an excuse to make a cheaper electrostatic amp.
The market already has enough extremely over-inflated priced electrostatic amps, and so we need change.

3- "NEW" FACTOR:
Let him "re-invent" the "old stax plug".
Change for a better plug, by making smaller and also safer without those large exposed pins.

The standard old stax plug is a major inconvenience for me to line up the dam holes if you use or need to use glasses but don't want to, lol..

I have to carefully and firmly plug in and out every time I want to roll tubes or turn off unit, which is a MAJOR INCONVENIENCE,
As it is not easy at all.
It is an ancient, ugly, oversized plug.

4- BREAK THE NORM:
Dan can do whatever he wants..
He should remain an innovator and creator without restraints.
If he choose he can disassociate himself from stax style products and their rediculous prices and the confines of traditional standards of estats. He can make his unit a larger based mainstream unit if it is more affordable and innovative.

5- FLEXIBILITY :
He only needs to stay with a similar, or even lower bias voltage.
The more flexible it becomes, the more will accept it.

I was thinking if possible to suggest an adapter unit that would accept an input from tube amps that are able.
and only add the necessary bias,
so we can use our existing tube amps.
I realize there is the woo wee but it also uses step up transformers in signal path sort of like the stax "energizers".

As for the sound :

I do not own a stax system but played with the 009 enough times at a friends house to basically have a mental impression of what to look for and expect.

I have heard 2 versions of the Ether "E" at last NY meet, plus stax 007, plus the "JADE".

I don't doubt my own hearing or am bashful to state impressions or worry about brain adjustment.

I am convinced the Ether"E" will be superior to the stax 009 (!).

Both versions of the "E" came closer to, and surpassed the "Jade" strengths, and also had elements missing from the 009.

The main difference between the two prototype units where Soundstage depth and "proximity" type detailing.

They were both at opposite ends.
One was more intimate like his current planars,
while the other was a bit too distant like an HEX.

I feel he needs to make one in the middle and focus on a realistic Soundstage layering.

I have noted on importance of Soundstage in past.
The accurate layering of the micro details & ambient Soundstage cues.

I have personally modded the Ether, the PM2, the ed8, the HD800, and the HE1000, amongst others noted in my signature.
I know what it is to have a well layered Soundstage.

Some headphones exaggerate artificially the sound field a bit,
and push detailing forward (HD800)

Some headphones exaggerate Soundstage by stretching out the space and detailing (HEX )

Some can naturally get close too having perfect sound field layering,
but are more dependent upon amplification (HEK)

Very few get the layering correct, but are naturally more intimate in Soundstage (Code-X)

Anyways, regardless of this parameter, I could hear the tonality and body of the "Ether E"as having a more solid planar or "Jade" quality which translates to a more musically real experience.

So let's hope it all works out for Dan.
I'll be saving up for when it comes.
:)

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #98 of 937
If you heard Mikes 009 with his amp, that isn't a fair judgement. His amp is mediocre in the grand scheme of things. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #100 of 937
Beating a SR007/SR009 paired with the BHSE/KGSSHV is an astronomical ask.

We have no desire to "beat" Stax instead we want to have a different take on the voicing of the headphone that expands the market by delivering a different experience.  

I'm sure some will prefer it and others won't, but if we're lucky we'll bring some people into the stat market who hadn't previously had interest (with some luck Stax may sell a headphone to these folk at some point, just as anyone with a great 007/009 will be able to add a new headphone at an incremental cost).  I'm hoping more people engaging with electrostatics creates a 1+1=3 scenario, but alas, math was never my strongest point...

It's really a challenging and excellent technology, it's been quite instructive working on the project.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 21, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #101 of 937
I heard the prototype at Axpona head-to-head with the SR-009 on the BHSE and preferred the Ether-E, somewhat to my surprise. I think many people I spoke to around the Headamp booth felt the same way. However, as I've mentioned before, a trade show isn't necessarily the the best place to hear the SR-009.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #102 of 937
Given the voicing of the ether e, I actually expect many to prefer it in a short A/B with the stax sr009 simply because most people prefer more bass than less.

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #103 of 937
Given the voicing of the ether e, I actually expect many to prefer it in a short A/B with the stax sr009 simply because most people prefer more bass than less.

I will be the first to admit that I will most likely fall into that category. I got to spend 15 minutes with an SR009 on a KGSSHV and thought it was magical in some respects, but the lack of bass was a big turnoff for me, especially as I have moved solidly over to what most head-fiers would call the warm side (I call it more true to source) and have now made a major shift in what I am selling and buying in this hobby. This is why I am so excited by the Ether E, to have some of that estat magic but with a more full bodied sound that is perhaps much more to my liking.

I really like Dan's last post because I think he nailed it... I am now likely to add an estat to my collection, and that also means I may grab a Stax model at some point further down the road just for the heck of it, lower end or higher end is a coin toss at this point but at least it is a possibility.

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #105 of 937
If you heard Mikes 009 with his amp, that isn't a fair judgement. His amp is mediocre in the grand scheme of things. 

If same Mike then I can agree,
But I have since then upgraded his amp to perform much better now.
Although within its own limitations of tube selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back